Welcome to Olympus Entertainment

Register now to gain access to all of our features. If you don't see the verification e-mail please check your junk folder.

Jesse

Poll/Feedback - Olympus Addon Content

32 posts in this topic

TL;DR: There isn't one. Read the fucking thing. It is important and worth the read. If you care about Olympus and want cool shit you'll read it all and reply to it with CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK.

Hello,

So.. last night Poseidon, Serpico, and I discussed something that could be pretty cool and add some cool stuff to Olympus while helping... There is something already similar to this system being used at CCG. However, we're not sure if it would be used here and if it's worth the effort. So we're looking for your feedback. Basically we have a way that we can make a whitelisted mod that is Not Required to play on the server at all. However, by having this mod it would allow you to see special content on the server. Things we're thinking of is stuff like custom billboards for you and your gang, custom flags to be displayed on the cartel flag for the owners, custom vehicle skins etc. Basically this addon would be full of textures and potentially some other things that we're a bit unsure of if we can actually do scripting wise and have it not affect players. However, we'd make it so vehicles civilian side would have default textures that everyone can see. Then if you have the addon content and the vehicles/billboards/flags etc have the custom textures you can now see those textures instead of the default Arma textures.

We're thinking of making it so Anyone can download the addon and run it to see the textures of others. However, if you want to have your own gang textures or personal textures added you would have to either do a pay to upload so like we'd have set prices for vehicle skins, set prices for billboard ads, etc. However, that method would mean that after "X" time you'd have to renew the texture or we'd remove it type of thing. The other option is you pay a "subscription" basically for the month and you can update your textures monthly/bi-weekly or something. You would also be able to work with our designers too if you'd chose to potentially have them make you some something too if you're not the artsy type. Obviously they can chose to do it, etc. Regardless with what method you'd chose we'd probably reward you with being able to purchase a few textures that have been added by us (Olympus) that you could use in-game. Obviously, the personalized skins would only be available to those who have created it, etc. So by default you'd probably get a few vehicle skins and maybe a clothing skin or something that you could use just by downloading the pack. However, if you wanted to be able to purchase your own custom stuff that'd be where the payments came.

Why do this... ?  Well, the truth is... There is only so much map and so much shit we can cram on it. If we make too many different things to do, people will be more spread out and farming/gathering will be made even easier. We are going to still be adding some more activities, but there is only so much we can add. Also, there is only so much Arma content we can keep bringing in monthly, especially when we don't remove it after X time (Take the GA vest for example...). If we removed some of the stuff after so long we could re-add it at later dates and such. Also, we can't have a super amazing donation goal every single month. Remember you're not necessarily donating to get some spicy ass content, you're actually donating to help keep the servers running. Few people will openly donate just because the server is good and they want to see it stay... Unfortunately, it's something we're all probably seeing across the world is that we're expecting to get something in return now if you will. This is a method we can potentially use to get reoccurring funds to help keep the server going. Remember, Poseidon really does just set the donation goal for the monthly cost. There isn't some extra buffer added for the "incase of emergency funds", etc. Also, I'm sure when people see the goal is met, they don't feel like donating and instead donate next month maybe to meet the next goal for the content then. Just keep this stuff in mind too as it's important. I also just want to point out that this isn't being done because like shits going south or something. It's just that I've brought up the problem of having it where we keep adding stuff but don't remove any and we're also looking for ways to meet what the community wants (Ifrit skins, helicopter skins, etc.)...

Also, from a development standpoint we don't want to restrict you guys updates/content simply because a goal wasn't met for the server. We want to add awesome new systems for roleplay and murdering your online acquaintances. I know I personally hate the donation goal as a developer because if it's not met I feel like I'm restricting you from something cool potentially. I want to add a government system, a gang war system, a news team system, etc. however, at the same time I wonder... "Should I release it immediately or should we potentially donation goal this because who knows if the next one will have juicy stuff people want to donate for".

What we want to know... (Please include in response)

1. Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.)
  2. Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system?
  3. Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? 

Please add any other feedback that you feel is useful to us. I took time to make a pretty well constructed and well thought post. I expect you to do the same. 
Just like the gang sheds thread, if you don't have CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM don't post please. 

FAQ:

• Will this count towards donation goals?
    • Honestly, we're not sure. It would probably depend on how well it goes, if the interest and use of this is good... Don't see why not.
  • Would we stop doing donation goals?
    • No, however bear in mind we won't always be able to have super awesome donation goals.

Final Note:

I want to thank all of you for being great! The forums are minimally toxic and give a good sense of a community more than other forums that shall not be named. Also, thank you for being extremely patient with the gang shed update especially. I would also like to remind everyone that at the end of the day donations are what keeps the server running, however what keeps the server alive is US, the community. The community is what keeps the server going, otherwise it'd be empty and dusty. So thank you everyone for your support!

TL;DR: There isn't one. Read the fucking thing. It is important and worth the read. If you care about Olympus and want cool shit you'll read it all and reply to it with CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK.

14 people like this

Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.) Yes! It's a fantastic idea that would add some uniqueness for people, and some things to show off to others. Great idea.

Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? Probably  Pay-Per-Upload

Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? If it means I can get my own ifrit or uniform unique to me, yes, I most definitely will.

Would like to see the government system and gang wars system as well, sounds cool.

Edited by Augustus
2 people like this

1. Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.) If you're talking about new textures, then no, I think it is not needed, whilst necessarily being something interesting and new, for the majority of players I don't think it would be used, and for the other majority I feel like it would lag games to much to be used well.

1. Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? If it were going to happen, a pay per upload system is much better, I'd like to keep the skins I pay for.

1. Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? No, sorry guys.

Main problems are the time it would take to develop, and the potential extra 'texture bugs' that can occur. Nice post though Jesse!

1. Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.)  Ye, i feel like this is a great idea.
  2. Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? Pay-per-upload system
  3. Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly?  Personally i would probably not donate repeatedly but if i could donate once for a custom ifrit skin i would donate for one.

This sounds like it would be a lot of hard work for the dev/designers so i thought of an idea. Olympus could have their own pre-set car/ifrit/flag skins for like $5-$15  but if a player wants their own custom car/ifrit/flag skin (which would take a lot longer for a designer to create) they would have to pay like $25-30 for their own custom skin.

I have a question, would this be against bohemia's terms and service? 

10 minutes ago, Matt The Savage said:

no as long as it doesnt give an unfair advantage over others, Like GA rigs. they were available to donors only therfore it was not allowed

23 minutes ago, Matt The Savage said:

This sounds like it would be a lot of hard work for the dev/designers so i thought of an idea. Olympus could have their own pre-set car/ifrit/flag skins for like $5-$15  but if a player wants their own custom car/ifrit/flag skin (which would take a lot longer for a designer to create) they would have to pay like $25-30 for their own custom skin.

Hard work? No. It's basically adding a few single statements and couple modifications here and there...  if (you have the addon) then { display this texture } else { display default Olympus/Arma texture };

No it's not against Bohemia Monetization Guidelines. I wouldn't be posting this if that was the case.... https://www.bistudio.com/monetization

• Cosmetic perks are allowed. Limiting access to only paying players is allowed. (Textures are cosmetic..)

Also, I'd like to point out that we cannot simply have a texture be permanently there. It'd have to have some sort of expiration/renewal. Currently we can fill 2 servers and have 222 players on Olympus hardware at a single time. If each one of those players purchases a SINGLE texture "slot" now when using the addon thats 222 textures in that file, each roughly 300-600kb. That's a 66 - 133mb file for just something like a hatchback skin. Assuming it's all single texture files. Ifrits have two textures that get applied so that'd be 600-1,200kb for one ifrit. Now factor in more people and such. Maybe some players have 2-3 skins or something... That will get huge fast. Especially if we keep them indefinitely.

1 person likes this

1. Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.) Ya i don't see why not more content the better 
  2. Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? pay-per-upload, its just easier for the community as a whole if the community likes the idea they will pay for it, we've seen it already during past donations and i don't mind it.
  3. Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? Ya 5-10 bucks every month no problem
1 person likes this

@Jesse you could have a system where if the player owning the skin does not log in for X amount of days the skin would be removed off of their vehicles, this would fix the problem of being a too large file and it would keep it pay to upload 

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

@Jesse you could have a system where if the player owning the skin does not log in for X amount of days the skin would be removed off of their vehicles, this would fix the problem of being a too large file and it would keep it pay to upload 

Uh... wut? So it doesn't display in-game. However, it's still in the addon...

1 person likes this

I would only want the server to have either no mods, or everyone have mods. I also feel like using mods instead of a mp mission file may also ease the texture bug that everyone gets as it is loaded better. Yes the server is easier to access without the mods but I could see an overall performance increase if there were mods in place of the mission file

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

That isn't how it works, but in theory you could have a script running which deletes a texture for example when a player doesn't login for x days, but when you're going to have a script which runs every day you're going to have to PBO and sign the addon and players will have to re-download it. This could be all automated, even more so if the addon is provided through the steam workshop (saving bandwidth on the webserver and automatic downloads when there is an update without having to use a crappy custom launcher (looking at you ccg)). Just the amount of automation gets to the point where you ask yourself "can we be fucked to do this?".

Anyway...

1. Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.) - Absolutely, and I also think we could have some sort of system where a player can upload a custom texture they've created (which must be unbranded (in regards to their gang/player names)) and the community can vote in a poll (fuck me right?) as to whether the skin should be added. Example: I create a nyan cat theme for the hatchback sport, upload it to some system with a poll with a simple yes or no answer which runs for 1 week, after that week if the majority of votes are in favor of adding the skin, it is added and because it is unbranded it should be free to upload. (IF THE MAJORITY OF A POLL VOTES NO TO A THEME, THE PLAYER CAN STILL HAVE THE THEME ADDED AT THE COST STATED BELOW)
  2. Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? - pay-per-upload, as stated above, if its an unbranded texture for everyone maybe it should be free, or maybe it could be crowd-funded (maybe if players can tag a texture they want in their donation message/notes). For a branded texture such as a gang-themed ifrit or SUV, the cost should be like $10-$15 to upload the texture.
  3. Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? - Maybe, it depends if the content other players want to submit is worth the money.

I hope this reply is detailed enough Jesse.

3 minutes ago, Edmunds.Z said:

I would only want the server to have either no mods, or everyone have mods. I also feel like using mods instead of a mp mission file may also ease the texture bug that everyone gets as it is loaded better. Yes the server is easier to access without the mods but I could see an overall performance increase if there were mods in place of the mission file

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Bow said:

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

I don't have any sort of hard evidence that you can take word for word, but however if you play the different game modes the game has to offer, even with mods, you'll notice there are less performance issues with gametypes that have smaller mission files and mods are already installed. I play on a milsim server as well as an Exile server, both upwards of 50 players running around blowing things up and all the AI that spawn in for the missions as well. the mods have it so its already installed and nothing additional has to load in like if you see an APD vehicle untextured and your game is already running on a lot of memory, youre going to crash if your game has to try and texture that APD vehicle as it gets closer. the mods allow it to already be installed and make it easier for the player and the game to load in and look at whatever may be in front of them. A mod pack for Olympus would be a good idea because the textures would load from the start instead of when its there, you wouldn't have to waste time looking at a untextured vehicle and waiting to engage.

Also, on the subject of optional mods, is it possible that you could allow sound mods to be used for guns etc?

How would paying work? Who is it going to actually? (I know Olympus, but is it like the same thing as normal sonations)

would you like to see this added? Yes, could be cool, but... textures should be somewhat basic, nothing complex and laggy.

would yours there have pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? Subscription. That way the amount of textures in the add on are reduced.

would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? Yes I would.

maybe like how arma squads work, you could have gang skins. Could be like, the leader helps design and pay for a gang skin, which would say the gang name, and everyone in that gang could purchase it, and it would be on their car. don't know if this would work or not, or if it's possible to do. Just a cool idea with this that I thought of.

2 hours ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

How would paying work? Who is it going to actually? (I know Olympus, but is it like the same thing as normal sonations)

would you like to see this added? Yes, could be cool, but... textures should be somewhat basic, nothing complex and laggy.

would yours there have pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? Subscription. That way the amount of textures in the add on are reduced.

would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? Yes I would.

maybe like how arma squads work, you could have gang skins. Could be like, the leader helps design and pay for a gang skin, which would say the gang name, and everyone in that gang could purchase it, and it would be on their car. don't know if this would work or not, or if it's possible to do. Just a cool idea with this that I thought of.

It would have to be purchasable by everyone, otherwise they would be violating Bohemia's monetization rules.

With a pay-to-upload model, you wouldn't really have a problem with the amount of textures, because it still requires people to be able design textures. If the cost to add a texture is between $5-$10 people aren't going to make 1000 shitty skins and add them just for the lolz. And even so, if textures were split into different PBO's for each vehicle (ie ifrit, hatchback_sport, hatchback, suv), whenever there is an update you aren't downloading a single 500MB file it would be smaller and more sparse.

That said, who cares about how big the addon would be its not like it'll be >2GB, everyone has an SSD these days and sacrificing 1 shitty montage kill or 1 rdm report which probably wasn't even rdm will save you that amount of space.

4 minutes ago, Bow said:

It would have to be purchasable by everyone, otherwise they would be violating Bohemia's monetization rules.

With a pay-to-upload model, you wouldn't really have a problem with the amount of textures, because it still requires people to be able design textures. If the cost to add a texture is between $5-$10 people aren't going to make 1000 shitty skins and add them just for the lolz. And even so, if textures were split into different PBO's for each vehicle (ie ifrit, hatchback_sport, hatchback, suv), whenever there is an update you aren't downloading a single 500MB file it would be smaller and more sparse.

That said, who cares about how big the addon would be its not like it'll be >2GB, everyone has an SSD these days and sacrificing 1 shitty montage kill or 1 rdm report which probably wasn't even rdm will save you that amount of space.

1. A. I mean, literally how are we gonna be paying. 

B. I have a feeling no matter how it would be done, they would make sure it doesn't violate monetization rules.

2. But textures that are laggier are ghosthawk and hunter especially, I am not a developer and only know very little about this, but I have a feeling, if we were to use basic ass textures, it would cause less texture bugs. Not saying I don't love the textures we have, but if we're going to be adding lots of textures, they should be basic textures. I personally texture bug and have game crashes a lot due to shit not loading well, and have a shit ass literal fucking potato of a computer, @CverGhost can attest to this. I am barely able to play this server, but I love it a lot, and I think I would not be able to play if we have shitloads of complex textures.

3. I don't care how it gets implemented if this is liked enough, but I just need it to not give me more texture bugs and make my game crash a lot. I hope that the devs will find a way to do this. I know that they realize that everyone is getting more texture bugs and game crashes than ever right now, especially with arma 3 update, and the Olympus update rolling out same day. 

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

Uh... wut? So it doesn't display in-game. However, it's still in the addon...

No, you could delete it all together. No need for it if the person doesn't play, and if he wants to keep it or he's going away but comming back you could have like an absence form

I would totally pay like 5 or 10 bucks for a custom uniform or ifrit or orca or suv. but i wouldn't pay a subscription. if its a one time thing then yea.

Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.) Yes this would be amazing in my opinion. I'm not sure if I just don't get this or not but how would having custom textures work? Like if I pay a certain amount for the upload to I make the skin/texture myself or do I find something off a list somewhere. Also adding in more textures right now doesn't seem like the best idea considering how everyone is complaining about getting texture bugged like 8 times a day. If I'm correct this would add getting texture bugged more often then already.

Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system? Pay per upload depending on the prices.

Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? Yes I would most likely. Rather it be a one time fee though for a texture on something.

7 hours ago, Jesse said:
  • Would you like to see this added to the server? (Even if you don't plan to purchase the content.)
  • Would you rather have the pay-per-upload system or a subscription based system?
  • Would this be something you'd consider donating for repeatedly? 

1.Yes a

2. pay per upload. this will promote upload quality, it will also generate more income for the server I believe.

3. I might I'm a kid with no income and so are allot of the community so i would buy a skin once in a while maybe I wouldn't pay a subscription though which is why I think the Pay Per Upload is a better model.

I would just like to know how we pay? Would every vehicle with that available texture be textured that way, or would we go to a mod shop and have to buy it?

YEA!!! On a side note though I'm pretty sure it would make texture bug worse which is a no go

I see the new textures and custom textures would cause more texture bugs than we have now. I like the idea of custom skins personally, but my PC can barely handle APD and RNR skins. If you do launch this texture idea, I would say it should cost like: "X" amount for this big of a file upload or "X" amount for each upload or "X" amount monthly for each skin as in 1 skin is like 10 bucks 2 skins is 20 bucks. I like the new development and I have no problem donating, but when people donate now we really get 3 things: The ability to play on the server, Donation rewards, and TeamSpeak tags. I know the development team cannot give us anything in game thanks to Bohemia being kinda greedy. But maybe to boost donations we could get more than TS tags, go-karts, blackwaters... etc. Give us things like events to do that admins host and we get cash rewards in game for it. Forum ranks can be bought maybe or even a new forum rank.