Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

How to get better frames on Arma

Hey, I'm not too good when it comes to the technical part of pcs, but I know my pc is not complete shit. I have always struggled to get solid frames on the game and was wondering if any of you guys know what upgrades I'd need to get solid frames or just any tips or tricks to get better frames (while still being able to have my view distance up far enough to put up a fight), i literally have all my graphics settings in Arma set as low as possible and yet there are times (especially during gun fights) where my frames go to shit out of no where. I normally get on average 35 frames and i simply just want to be able to play Arma without the frame drops and continuous low frames :( 

Whats in my pc that I know about lol

intel core i5-4460 

Nvidia Geforce gtx960 

400W Corsair psu

and I have Arma installed on a Corsair Force LE 240GB SSD

http://plays.tv/video/581800489c775fca94/when-you-realize-you-need-a-new-pc-rip-newpc?from=user

sums up my cartel experiences^

I appreciate any help tips or suggestions!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joel said:

How does your pc run off of 400W..

Well if your planning to upgrade the only things I would change would be to turn that I5 into a i7 and maybe boost that power supply. 

Most mid-range PC's operate between 300-360ish wattage. 

1 hour ago, Big Pappa Al said:

Hey, I'm not too good when it comes to the technical part of pcs, but I know my pc is not complete shit. I have always struggled to get solid frames on the game and was wondering if any of you guys know what upgrades I'd need to get solid frames or just any tips or tricks to get better frames (while still being able to have my view distance up far enough to put up a fight), i literally have all my graphics settings in Arma set as low as possible and yet there are times (especially during gun fights) where my frames go to shit out of no where. I normally get on average 35 frames and i simply just want to be able to play Arma without the frame drops and continuous low frames :( 

Whats in my pc that I know about lol

intel core i5-4460 

Nvidia Geforce gtx960 

400W Corsair psu

and I have Arma installed on a Corsair Force LE 240GB SSD

http://plays.tv/video/581800489c775fca94/when-you-realize-you-need-a-new-pc-rip-newpc?from=user

sums up my cartel experiences^

I appreciate any help tips or suggestions!

1 minute ago, McDili said:

Most mid-range PC's operate between 300-360ish wattage.

Yeah I didn't know it sounded low so I put his specs in a power calculator and it was right around there. 

Mine takes a lot for some reason.. and I ain't got nothing to special. 

12 minutes ago, Joel said:

How does your pc run off of 400W..

Well if your planning to upgrade the only things I would change would be to turn that I5 into a i7 and maybe boost that power supply. 

I originally thought that was too low as well but for my gpu and specs all i need is a 300W 

1 hour ago, Joel said:

Yeah I didn't know it sounded low so I put his specs in a power calculator and it was right around there. 

Mine takes a lot for some reason.. and I ain't got nothing to special. 

Many PC's don't need that much watts, anything over 600 technically is overkill. It's just good for your PC to have more watts available than just whats required.

Counterintuitive but some of the settings give better frames if you put them on high. If you keep them on low, it'll run from your cpu, but by putting them on high or ultra, it gets offloaded to your GPU. So don't be surprised if you see some tips that tell you to do just that. 

Use this video, did wonders to my fps and I have an AMD lol boosted from 40-60+ outside city's and I get a steady 30fps in kavala with the odd drop now and then, that's on full pop server too. Also works for other games