APD Handbook Update 12/28/2016 effective immediately.

Hello, today we have a short but sweet update to the handbook.

Chapter XII - Fines and Penalties

Jail

1. When sending players to jail, officers must inform the suspect that they are being sent to jail.
  2. Constables or higher may send a player directly to jail if they are seen blatantly breaking server rules
  3. If a player has 15 or more Manslaughter charges they are considered a serial killer.
    1. If a serial killer is found and restrained they may be sent directly to jail without a chance to pay any outstanding tickets.
  4. When a player has the "Escaping Jail" charge they MUST be sent straight to jail. No exceptions.
  5. If a player has the "Hostage Situation" charge they are considered a hostage taker.
    1. Hostage Takers may be sent directly to jail without a chance to pay any outstanding tickets.

Number 4 everybody already knew, it was in the ticket guide. But I felt it needed to be in the handbook as well.

Number 5 is the big sweet one. APD has seen a huge increase in hostage situations lately, and they are just being done so haphazardly by civilians. The top brass discussed how to tackle this issue and arresting these criminals outright seems to be the best solution for us and for the safety of the people of Altis. 

As always questions, comments, and concerns below.

1 minute ago, Grandma Gary said:

That seems heavy handed in the extreme given that hostage situations favour the APD already so much.  Granted it sucks that they have to respond but they just say fuck it take the shot in pretty much every scenario.

When SAPD are not online people spam hostage situations for pardons with reckless abandon and it's 9/10 times successful. Don't know what you're on about m8 ;D

• Head Admin
Just now, McDili said:

When SAPD are not online people spam hostage situations for pardons with reckless abandon and it's 9/10 times successful. Don't know what you're on about m8 ;D

Pleb Civ: I WANT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND GUNS AND BITCHES AND A JET.

APD: No

BRAP BRAP jail.

Who thought this was a good idea?

• Like 1
Just now, McDili said:

Even with Seniors online people still do them A L L the time. Just in a manner in which there's no way we can fight them with acceptable Civilian/APD casualties. It takes away from what the APD could be doing when they have to have 2/3's of the force stop what their doing and go over to the negotiations.

Just now, Grandma Gary said:

BRAP BRAP jail.

APD: Hey lets do a patrol.

Civs: Hey I have a hostage.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

APD: Hey let's do a patrol.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

1 minute ago, McDili said:

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

Now after Mcdili showed Gary how will he respond @Grandma Gary

• Head Admin
5 minutes ago, McDili said:

10 minutes later

Hostage situations are a means to free stuff.  A 5 minute stint in jail is only going to add 5 minutes extra to the issue.  As illegal stuff goes hostage taking isn't even the worst thing people can be doing and they don't go straight to jail for the majority of that.  Hell they have to murder 15 people or break rules for the other situations to kick in.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, McDili said:

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later

10 minutes later.

10 minutes later.

This is literally the worst thing a cop can ever see/live through. Although instead of just sending them to jail right away which you can't do since you have to respond to the hostage sitution and not process them unless you fail the negotiations. Or you are a SGT+. Then what's the purpose of being able to send to jail if they can repeatedly do hostages and the cop can't follow them after? Why not make it you can only do one hostage situation every 45 minutes ?  

1 minute ago, Grandma Gary said:

Hostage situations are a means to free stuff.  A 5 minute stint in jail is only going to add 5 minutes extra to the issue.  As illegal stuff goes hostage taking isn't even the worst thing people can be doing and they don't go straight to jail for the majority of that.  Hell they have to murder 15 people or break rules for the other situations to kick in.

When we're looking at this concept we're looking at how it affects the role of cops. Cops are getting spammed with this all the time and if it still gets spammed so be it, you're right, a 5 minute stint in jail is not a big deal for civs to deal with. It's a small price to pay but the idea is that civs will take hostage situations more seriously which we hope means "Less frequently."

The problem is the frequency in which these situations occur. By all means if you have alternative solutions we'd love to hear them. We feel like it being a straight to jail charge was the best way to solve this issue without pursuing some sort of magical rule of "You can only do a hostage situation once every X minutes" type thing.

1 hour ago, Grandma Gary said:

Granted it sucks that they have to respond but they just say fuck it take the shot in pretty much every scenario.

Only pertains to senior apd, very seldom do they get on. Some occasions they delegate an negotiator as the hostage situation happens more often then not.

how about only those that currently have a vigilante license, be sent straight to jail if they have a kidnapping charge

+

still waiting on cops having a 2 min cooldown to spawn in the HQ if they die inside said HQ

1 hour ago, DeadPool1337 said:

This is literally the worst thing a cop can ever see/live through. Although instead of just sending them to jail right away which you can't do since you have to respond to the hostage sitution and not process them unless you fail the negotiations. Or you are a SGT+. Then what's the purpose of being able to send to jail if they can repeatedly do hostages and the cop can't follow them after? Why not make it you can only do one hostage situation every 45 minutes ?  

That would be hard to control, messaging a new hostage taker basically to "take a number a wait in line for 45 minutes." 

Hostage situations are more civ sided by default, as how it is currently without a senior apps to access whether or not to strategically take them out, give in to the demands and part ways.

3 minutes ago, SheriffJohnBeard said:

how about only those that currently have a vigilante license, be sent straight to jail if they have a kidnapping charge

+

still waiting on cops having a 2 min cooldown to spawn in the HQ if they die inside said HQ

Because the majority of hostage takers do not have a vigi license.

Honestly no one takes anything seriously with the amount of shit going on anymore. Putting people straight to jail for Hostage situation or escaping jail wont discourage the act any more then the Ban on cutting kidneys with victim is in APD Custody worked. Not saying remove the ability to take hostages but don't think the community that simple that sending people straight to jail will "Discourage" or "Make them take it seriously". Sure this isn't a constructive post but its honest.

Side note: Timer might be useful.

Edited by Mr Liam
39 minutes ago, Mr Liam said:

Honestly no one takes anything seriously with the amount of shit going on anymore. Putting people straight to jail for Hostage situation or escaping jail wont discourage the act any more then the Ban on cutting kidneys with victim is in APD Custody worked. Not saying remove the ability to take hostages but don't think the community that simple that sending people straight to jail will "Discourage" or "Make them take it seriously". Sure this isn't a constructive post but its honest.

It depends on how it goes, you would never know the results unless you try it. Trial and error, if it does not work as easy as it was written, then an alternative can be drawn up or put back.

57 minutes ago, SheriffJohnBeard said:

Vigilantes don't actually get the kidnapping charge when they restrain people.

Honestly part of the problem is that like 50% of hostage situations, the hostages are actually willing volunteers.

57 minutes ago, SheriffJohnBeard said:

+

The devs have some pretty nice ideas about how to approach this but nothing concrete yet.

46 minutes ago, Mr Liam said:

As Tali said, worth a shot imo. If anything, it means after the guy gets caught he has to wait in jail for just a bit longer before he can do another hostage situation. IF we catch him that is.

3 hours ago, Grandma Gary said:

BRAP BRAP jail.

Players should not get charged hostage situation if it fails, only when successful.

If successful we would have to post ways less they get caught further down the line.

4 hours ago, Grandma Gary said:

That seems heavy handed in the extreme given that hostage situations favour the APD already so much.  Granted it sucks that they have to respond but they just say fuck it take the shot in pretty much every scenario.

I support it, but I agree the APD can have the favor in it, in most hostage situations I've seen/heard/done, the conversations typically circulate around offering the hostage takers really low offers so they refuse to take it and work up slowly to failing it instead of giving them what they ask for based off how reasonable it is, and most of the time, a hostages life is valued on how much gear he has, odds are you'll get alot for 3 semi geared civilians than you would for 3 fresh spawns.

I just think that there should be a more focus towards having the hostages lives matter more than the gear/money we'd be gearing out to save them.

9 minutes ago, Sociopathic said:

I just think that there should be a more focus towards having the hostages lives matter more than the gear/money we'd be gearing out to save them.

Their lives matter more now, taking a hostage now grants jail time if caught.