Stats Page - April Update

Check it out fellas. Going live in a moment. Stats for items, etc is based off since yesterdays update as this was a new feature just added with the 4/11 update. The stats table was also wiped. So stored data will be coming back over the next few days as it generates.

30 minutes ago, kev said:

So the stats won’t be updated from previous things we have done only from this point on?

@Jesse

Correct. It only started getting inserted into our database as of yesterday.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Stats for items, etc is based off since yesterdays update as this was a new feature just added with the 4/11 update.

13 minutes ago, Aether said:

Nobody sees the downside of this?

Are there any means for some players to keep these statistics private? 

I think it’s cool but other players really don’t need to know each other’s business from methods outside of the game.

I’m confused? Do you not want to see what people do the most so you can rob them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Aether said:

Explain the downsides? It doesn't show what server you've done actions on. It shows what you do sure. Doesn't tell you what hours of the day you play. Doesn't display in-game names. Doesn't tell players if you stole the stuff or processed it yourself. Do explain please.

30 minutes ago, Aether said:

I think it’s cool but other players really don’t need to know each other’s business from methods outside of the game.

Actually this information is very useful when we trying to achieve balance as it reveals what drugs are done the most, how many feds are done, what the lockpick rate is and much more that I don’t feel like listing

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kev said:

Actually this information is very useful when we trying to achieve balance as it reveals what drugs are done the most, how many feds are done, what the lockpick rate is and much more that I don’t feel like listing

It helps us show the community actual facts and not just passed around "truthful" information. It also helps potentially catch people with abnormal stats for potential investigation, etc. It's really not that revealing of data imo.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It helps us show the community actual facts and not just passed around "truthful" information. It also helps potentially catch people with abnormal stats for potential investigation, etc. It's really not that revealing of data imo.

Yay this means our admins have proof that they are telling the truth now and everyone is happy.

7 minutes ago, Aether said:

You still haven't answered my question. Explain rather than make meme's. Otherwise, no changes will happen. What can you see people doing to use this data to their benefit? Once you have a weeks worth of shit, the numbers will be all over the place for different things. Assuming you sell other peoples stuff, you do more than 1 thing in your playtime.

44 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Explain the downsides? It doesn't show what server you've done actions on. It shows what you do sure. Doesn't tell you what hours of the day you play. Doesn't display in-game names. Doesn't tell players if you stole the stuff or processed it yourself. Do explain please.

2 hours ago, Aether said:

it ok, you can keep doing your salt runs. we wont judge.. :DPEducated::pog:

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Aether said:

I’m going to elaborate.

Stats on their own are not bad, a player getting access to their own stats is a very neat idea. Stats for gangs are cool as well. 

Knowing which drugs are used from a server/community standpoint would make sense. Then you’d obviously know which runs are more desirable etc..

The drawback comes from how the information can/will be used.

Example(s):

A passionate APD member feels like targeting a specific individual or gang. Without collecting in-game intel they can look up the gang information listed. That officer can then look at and record the playtime length of the gang members and even what their income is sourced from. 

So if the gang they want to target has a habit of producing heroin, even though they have gone out of their way to fly under the radar... the whole community now knows what the expectations are when they get online.

A gang leader with no prior information about another gang that they are at war with can jump on the forums and coordinate a “civil war anaconda plan” style engagement and cut off thier endeavors. Then when the targeted group decides to change strategies it still doesn’t help them because that information is still presented. Even gang shed location(s) could be compromised.

K/d, bank balance, vehicles.. etc.. that’s harmless information.   

Broadcasting a players means of income is potentially dangerous to them, the gang they are in, and the housing market as well.

Recorded player information for use by who it regards or even the admins and above is cool. It’s a very well designed stats page too. I’m not bashing the hard work that went into the project at all. I’m implying that there should be an option to keep it out of public view and/or limit its transparency.

I agree with what you're saying an ability to set some of the stats to private so people can't see what runs you do most often would be nice.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jesse said:

Jesse, you realise we can get the majority of that other information simply by parsing some HTML on Gametracker and steam profiles right?

As for everything Aether has said, he's thinking about it exactly like we are in DB right now. We've done very similar things in other games that have the same sort of information available as an API. I think you're either too trusting or ignorant to the fact Olympus players are essentially psychopaths that will do anything for an advantage.

It's fantastic that admins would have access to these tools and information, anything that helps you guys admin is always a bonus.

I understand a lot of work and time has already gone into displaying information and releasing this publicly.

Edited by Mr Majestic
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Aether said:

I’m going to elaborate.

Stats on their own are not bad, a player getting access to their own stats is a very neat idea. Stats for gangs are cool as well. 

Knowing which drugs are used from a server/community standpoint would make sense. Then you’d obviously know which runs are more desirable etc..

The drawback comes from how the information can/will be used.

Example(s):

A passionate APD member feels like targeting a specific individual or gang. Without collecting in-game intel they can look up the gang information listed. That officer can then look at and record the playtime length of the gang members and even what their income is sourced from. 

So if the gang they want to target has a habit of producing heroin, even though they have gone out of their way to fly under the radar... the whole community now knows what the expectations are when they get online.

A gang leader with no prior information about another gang that they are at war with can jump on the forums and coordinate a “civil war anaconda plan” style engagement and cut off thier endeavors. Then when the targeted group decides to change strategies it still doesn’t help them because that information is still presented. Even gang shed location(s) could be compromised.

K/d, bank balance, vehicles.. etc.. that’s harmless information.   

Broadcasting a players means of income is potentially dangerous to them, the gang they are in, and the housing market as well.

Recorded player information for use by who it regards or even the admins and above is cool. It’s a very well designed stats page too. I’m not bashing the hard work that went into the project at all. I’m implying that there should be an option to keep it out of public view and/or limit its transparency.

Yes stats reveals all that information but then the gang could change things up so it isn't always tracked so easily. 

• Like 2
  • Carrot Kid
10 minutes ago, Mr Majestic said:

Jesse, you realise we can get the majority of that other information simply by parsing some HTML on Gametracker and steam profiles right?

As for everything Aether has said, he's thinking about it exactly like we are in DB right now. We've done very similar things in other games that have the same sort of information available as an API. I think you're either too trusting or ignorant to the fact Olympus players are essentially psychopaths that will do anything for an advantage.

It's fantastic that admins would have access to these tools and information, anything that helps you guys admin is always a bonus.

I understand a lot of work and time has already gone into displaying information and releasing this publicly.

7 hours ago, Jesse said:

@Jesse

@Aether is thinking exactly the same as I did when I first read this. My initial reaction was "woah. I can see what people are doing."

It may seem too cumbersome to or impossible to gain much important information from this, but using a few simple scripts the whole thing can be automated and aggregated to be useful.

I am going to list the process I would go through if I were to exploit this. Sure, ,you could do it manually, but why bother when you can automate it. I thought of this in the last few minutes since reading this, so it may be lacking in some details, but I'm just hoping to persuade you that these stats should be private per user.

1) Log into the server, or use someone who has.

2) Scrape view-source:https://steamcommunity.com/id/{{yourid}}/friends/players/  for the players currently on the server; this isn't too hard, in fact, I've done it in the past.

3a) Grab all the steam 64 ID from the urls if they don't have vanity URLS.

3b) Convert all vanity urls (eg https://steamcommunity.com/id/somewanker) to steam 64 ids (eg 76561198064919358) using something like https://steamid.eu/ with an api call like https://api.steamid.eu/request.php?api={KEY}&player={PLAYERNAME}&request_type=5&format=json

At this point, I have a list of steamids of everyone on my server. What can I do with that?

4) Scrape the stats page of each player for whatever data I am interested in. Yes, you have cloudflare, but it's still not difficult to get around that. The rate of query can also be slowed down enough that it won't be too noticeable if you're not looking specifically for it, and still have the desired information.

5) Store this in a database with timestamps, etc

6) Profit: You now have a database that contains who does what, when, and how much. If I wanted to hunt gang [X], or player Y, all I have to do is aggregate all the information I've gathered from them in some nice way and observe that Y often does Mushrooms in the morning and sells in large quantities. Maybe i'll go check mushroom now.

If you were to change this so that it only updated daily, it would be less effective, but still not insignificant at all.

Again, I think this information should definitely not be available to everyone. I love stats. I think it's really cool to be able to see these stats, but I think that seeing the stats for another gang, another player is too far. The aggregation of this data would be fine, and still show what you seem to be aiming for (public proof that one run isn't "dead"). Stats like lockpicking, or speedbombs are fine. The sell quantities are nt.

So why am I posting this if I think I could so easily exploit it and use it to my advantage? I have no doubt that I will not be the only person to think about doing this. Maybe not on a large scale, but even just individually checking players of interest has the potential to be a bit overpowered.

The method I outlined above is not the only possibility, it's just the first one that I thought of using techniques that I have in the past.

TLDR: This information should not all be public. It's pretty easy to create a few scripts/programs to aggregate this data and provide a stupid advantage. Please make it private to each user.

• Like 8
  • Kreygasm 1
  • Hmm 1