Jump to content
Retired Developer

Beginner Development Position [Closed]

Recommended Posts

Olympus Community,

We are currently looking to fill a sort of new role that we've been discussing for a while now. The role is like a "Junior Developer" position sorta thing. Almost like an Olympus internship sort of deal. Basically there is a lot of code in the mission that can be changed to more efficient methods or just some general inconsistencies changed, etc that are just a bit too tedious for someone who has a very good grasp of SQF to bother with. Since sometimes these changes may be a simple find and replace but it's like over 300 files. We then have to waste time verifying that those changes are good and that we didn't accidentally mess up, etc. So we want to find someone dedicated to doing those more simple conversions, etc.

This stuff could range from some complex stuff to simply just changing all instances of "foreach" to "forEach" or maybe all instances of "setVariable[" to "setVariable [". An example of one of the more complex things would be converting params or remoteExec:

private["_player","_unit"];

_player = param [0,ObjNull,[ObjNull]];
_unit = param [1,ObjNull,[ObjNull]];

[[_unit,false],"life_fnc_jaill",_unit,false] spawn life_fnc_MP;

to

params [
	["_player",objNull,[objNull]],
	["_unit",objNull,[objNull]]
];

[_unit,false] remoteExec ["life_fnc_jaill",_unit];

 

Anyone who would get this position would work directly under my supervision essentially. I'll assist you minimally with how to get started and what needs to be done. Then you'll work at your own pace from there. There will be some general expectations regarding time to complete, etc. However, nothing that is outrageous or anything. This is meant to kind of get peoples feet wet in SQF and potentially help you understand SQF and maybe want to help out with more mission related content. If this interests you, please apply via the support system for a development application (Please just include some stuff about you, etc in the big ass empty text field...).

Requirements:

  • Good moral standing in the community
  • Able to work alongside with me
    • Need to be mature and not a complete squeaker
  • Must have a somewhat decent comprehension of how coding related stuff works
  • Other stuff... idk...

It's still undetermined if this position will be considered staff/contributor/nobody, etc. So you may or may not attend meetings, etc. We don't know yet. We'll get you a channel for sure though on TeamSpeak.

Thanks,
Jesse

  • Like 10
  • Hmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jesse said:

not a complete squeaker

:FeelsBad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jesse said:

Requirements:

  • Good moral standing in the community
  • Able to work alongside with me
    • Need to be mature and not a complete squeaker
  • Must have a somewhat decent comprehension of how coding related stuff works
  • Other stuff... idk...

does that comprehension need to be specifically SQF or is it just how basic coding works? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScreaM said:

does that comprehension need to be specifically SQF or is it just how basic coding works? 

Just general stuff. Line termination methods, maybe logical operators, etc. Nothing too complex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Just general stuff. Line termination methods, maybe logical operators, etc. Nothing too complex.

Since you say methods, I assume in SQF it can be done in other ways than just a semi-colon. Necessary operators can just be reference using the wiki. Looks like a good learning experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inb4 script kiddies "I am an 3l!te haxor and u will be lucky to have me! I hack COD and GTA and minecraft!!!"

  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ScreaM said:

Since you say methods, I assume in SQF it can be done in other ways than just a semi-colon. Necessary operators can just be reference using the wiki. Looks like a good learning experience.

I meant like methods in various languages. Not SQF specific. The only way in SQF is with semi-colons. Yeah, there really is zero experience required for the spot I'd say. Moreso, the ability to learn and desire to possibly to learn more than just what's expected to move more in a development role sorta thing.

if (some logic) then {player setPos [0,0,0];}; is the same as if (some logic) then {player setPos [0,0,0]}; - Only special cases of line termination... the last statement in a case or if then, etc doesn't need to have a semi-colon. The one on condition will end the line for it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all, feel free to PM me on the forums or TeamSpeak if you need any assistance!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jesse said:

I meant like methods in various languages. Not SQF specific. The only way in SQF is with semi-colons. Yeah, there really is zero experience required for the spot I'd say. Moreso, the ability to learn and desire to possibly to learn more than just what's expected to move more in a development role sorta thing.

if (some logic) then {player setPos [0,0,0];}; is the same as if (some logic) then {player setPos [0,0,0]}; - Only special cases of line termination... the last statement in a case or if then, etc doesn't need to have a semi-colon. The one on condition will end the line for it...

Cool. Is applying through a developer app or is it not as formal and just a PM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScreaM said:

Cool. Is applying through a developer app or is it not as formal and just a PM?

See post above or snippet below...

20 hours ago, Jesse said:

If this interests you, please apply via the support system for a development application (Please just include some stuff about you, etc in the big ass empty text field...).



Support Request -> Staff Application -> Developer Position -> Put a bit about you in text field. No work examples required.

5 hours ago, Kurt said:

To all, feel free to PM me on the forums or TeamSpeak if you need any assistance!

Kurt could be a good contact for those who are looking for a place to start but don't know where. As he was recently in that boat as well. For those who may be more interested in developing new things and what not, not necessarily starting at such basics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy.