Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Ts3 the main chat app instead of discord?

Noticed that discord is empty pretty much all time since I joined and tp3 is hopping. Why is that? Does olympus plan on switching to discord in the future? It just seems like discord would be better? What am I missing. Thank you.

• Head Admin

Olympus is boomer central and TS came along first.

Discord has come a long way though and could replace TS completely though it would mean I would probably have to allow messages again and listen to more "I ONLY HAK A LITTLE PLZ UNBAN OMFG" messages again =(

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

There are a LOT of organizational and structural factors that go into Olympus' use of TS3, including but not limited to faction organization, Staff organization, security and permission controls, and overall tighter tolerances than a Discord with over a thousand members. Additionally, Discord was not well-known at Olympus' start, so TS3 kind of maintains a de-facto status as the main communication platform. 

Discord has significantly improved since the early days, and Olympus has dedicated significantly more resources towards the Discord server, but I do not believe a majority of Staff, Developers and/or players feel the need to focus on a complete shift. Not to mention, it is sort of a "tradition" for gangs and groups that have formed on Olympus to make their own Discord servers which often hold many members of the community and get used heavily. 

If you ever wish to use the Discord, it is always available and does get used for things such as Discord Support tickets significantly. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lime said:

Discord was not well-known at Olympus' start

Olympus didn't start the day you joined. Discord wasn't even a thing back when Olympus was made. The choices were TS, skype, or ventrilo. Pretty clear why TS was chosen.

But yea he explained it well. The reason they use TS is because thats the way its been since the day olympus started & theres no obvious problems that make them NEED to change to discord. The only argument made towards it is that almost everyone has discord but almost no one uses TS now. Either way who cares they're not forcing you to invest your 401k into teamspeak.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, skatez said:

Don’t think that was the point of his comment but you’re wrong regardless.

Discord became a public software in 2015. Olympus was 2014? It surely could have been considered down the road.

https://www.pcgamer.com/one-year-after-its-launch-discord-is-the-best-voip-service-available/

Again, Discord was shit when it came out for servers our size. To switch over now it would be a massive and painful undertaking to get worse voice quality than TS. 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, skatez said:

Discord became a public software in 2015. Olympus was 2014? It surely could have been considered down the road.

Im not wrong lol i clearly said "Discord wasn't even a thing back when Olympus was made. The choices were TS, skype, or ventrilo. Pretty clear why TS was chosen." and you said that in your comment.

1 hour ago, skatez said:

Discord became a public software in 2015. Olympus was 2014?

Yes i know discord became public in 2015 & yes I know Olympus was started in 2014.

So yes the choices at the time were ts, skype, or Ventrilo & ts was the obvious choice.

1 hour ago, skatez said:

on’t think that was the point of his comment but you’re wrong regardless.

Litterally said i was wrong then said i was right in 10 words. 

> Joined:
03/11/2021

> Joined:
10/11/2015

trust me when I say I know just a *little* more then you do about Olympus. I would say good try but i feel like you didnt even read what you were typing lmao.

Discord is good but found for Arma communities teamspeak has always been better in terms of visible structure of the channels and advanced permissions

Also alot easier to see who's actively on as if discord is loaded your shown online but in teamspeak you have to actually connect. I personally like being able to see peoples ranks before names and also what tags they have shown by their icons.

Large discords become cluttered in my opinion as the text chat takes up a huge portion of the screen

• Like 1
  • Head Admin

5 hours ago, skatez said:

Don’t think that was the point of his comment but you’re wrong regardless.

https://www.pcgamer.com/one-year-after-its-launch-discord-is-the-best-voip-service-available/

Discord in 2015 was barely functional as a communications app never mind a replacement for what we needed from TS.  Now though it could easily replace TS, just a pain in the ass to do the initial setup =D

4 hours ago, ThatNerdyGuy said:

Again, Discord was shit when it came out for servers our size. To switch over now it would be a massive and painful undertaking to get worse voice quality than TS. 

Voice quality is comparable to TS, the only issue is with TS you buy the yearly license and you're good to go whereas Discord would require 30+ Nitro boosters to offer the best codec.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Grandma Gary said:

Discord in 2015 was barely functional as a communications app never mind a replacement for what we needed from TS.  Now though it could easily replace TS, just a pain in the ass to do the initial setup =D

Voice quality is comparable to TS, the only issue is with TS you buy the yearly license and you're good to go whereas Discord would require 30+ Nitro boosters to offer the best codec.

the number of Olympus players we could have stupid amount of boooster tbh

• Haha 1
  • Owner
10 hours ago, Lime said:

There are a LOT of organizational and structural factors that go into Olympus' use of TS3, including but not limited to faction organization, Staff organization, security and permission controls, and overall tighter tolerances than a Discord with over a thousand members. Additionally, Discord was not well-known at Olympus' start, so TS3 kind of maintains a de-facto status as the main communication platform. 

Discord has significantly improved since the early days, and Olympus has dedicated significantly more resources towards the Discord server, but I do not believe a majority of Staff, Developers and/or players feel the need to focus on a complete shift. Not to mention, it is sort of a "tradition" for gangs and groups that have formed on Olympus to make their own Discord servers which often hold many members of the community and get used heavily. 

If you ever wish to use the Discord, it is always available and does get used for things such as Discord Support tickets significantly. 

Hope this helps!

^^ Practically nailed it.

TS Will always be Olympus's primary use of communication within the community outside the forums. First and foremost, because of the way its structured and organized with permissions. Discord does not have as much options in what we can/cant customize. 

Second being the fact that you have to add people as a friend to private message them on Discord, unless they leave their DM's open. With teamspeak you do not.

I will say I have always hated discord in its early days, but recently ive found it quite useful for communication with certain aspects of staff, as well as the giveaways, support tickets, etc. I am slowly adding new things to the Discord as well, as most of our new players are using that anyway. Goal is to get our Discord partnered at some point, so ill probably start hard focusing that soon.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Goal is to get our Discord partnered at some point, so ill probably start hard focusing that soon.

Be honest... you just want the sick hoodie they send you.

39 minutes ago, Bloodmoon said:

Using forum join dates to guess when someone started playing is the lowest iq thing you could do, you go off the stats page.

logging into the stats page to check when he joined. I really dont care that much mane i was more just saying he said i was wrong then said i was right in less than 10 words lol.

44 minutes ago, skatez said:

with a focus on complaining on the forums and oversharing family topics with people that don't care.

also very confused on how i complain about a game i havent touched in months lol. And no one made you read my post, sorry i asked for advice and that really stuck in your head. Ill think about you next time i post.

also https://gyazo.com/906557879d6d7045051a77253ca3c3cf

Edited by Strafe