Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Gang Wars Feedback Thread

Hello Boys and Girls,

I'd just like to inquire about what the community thought about our recent gang wars event, and what we can do to improve the event if we were to have another in the future.

How was the event from an spectator's perspective? Any suggestions?

How was the event from a player's perspective? Any suggestions?

Maybe you thought the rules weren't well-thought out enough or you had some grievences with the mission file as a player, or you had issue with some staff decisions.

Don't use this thread as an outlet to be toxic - your post(s) will be removed, I'd also be willing to hand out some in-game compensation for some well thought out criticism and feedback.

• Like 5
  • TriHard 1

Testing everything before the day of the event "mainly the stream"

Make a post for the events. Not all of sudden make a post and rush into it.

Enforce the rules during the gang wars. Such as if a player dpi's or exploits actually listen to the problem and run it back.

Totally random bracket instead picking the gangs to go against each other

Separate the event by different days such as round 1 one day and the 2, 3 round being the next day

• Like 4

Spectators perspective, would of been cool to maybe have 2 dedicated commentators / casters always talking and keeping it engaging and exciting and other staff would perform the setup/teleports

Post match interviews with the players/gangs would of been a nice addition also. Think more community engagement and excitement surrounding it overall making sure camera was focussed on fights. Dunno if its a possibility but could of given people channel points at the start of stream then each match could have a twitch prediction for the winner and maybe some ingame small rewards for betting on your team.

Ingame title or forum momento for attending / watching the event

Mostly comparing it to a CSGO match in terms of commentating and setup however know that is on a large scale and lot of time to setup but just opens possibilities for next gang-wars.

Touching on Hurricane and Hawky comments;

Announcement post was August 1st with two weeks for the event unsure how long the file was in dev for but perhaps allow longer time to test mission and stream setup.

Like the idea of set maps perhaps some custom made CQC arenas or areas could be made so that it would be new to both teams and maybe release a picture of the layout a few hours before event so teams can study them or allow teams to maybe play on a practice server a week before the event sort of like a CQC or attack n defend server.

• Like 2

Decent event - smoke exploiting should just be allowed or get a dev to fix the smoke as its always an issue and bs always happens

I know some people probably don't want this but a set map for each round as the OG spam gets a bit boring - so round 1 WZ Alpha cap, semi finals OG, Finals Church... makes it a bit more interesting having different maps each round. Then the cointoss can be for defend/attack.

Either longer time for OG attacking or smaller zone that doesn't affect attackers so much - having a defender sit 600m down behind star on a random rock isn't so much fun imo. Half the time you're looking for roaches.

• Like 7

From my perspective I’d say the stream having a full run through AT LEAST a full day before would’ve been very very nice. I understand that people can be busy leading up to the date, so maybe just having a time set aside to make sure that runs smoother in the future would be nice for the spectators trying to see who can roach the furthest away! @ Eemil  

I’d also say further defining of processes to catch potential cheaters, exploiters etc. specifically, if someone is suspected of doing x y z, you’d ask them for evidence within the next 2-3 minutes so they could at least have the opportunity to hit the alt f10. This one is a little bit picky, but since not much went wrong I think it deserves some thought. I’d imagine the only real drama we faced during this gw would’ve been no drama at all if a well defined suspected exploiter/cheater system had been thought of before hand.

Lastly, multiple streams would be ideal IMO. I know I had some viewers on my stats stream who thought my second perspective (typically looking down onto cap) was more preferred then DP’s close up cam. Having 2 people streaming would just add another chance for spectators to get the view they most prefer.

I think overall like @ Zahzi  has already said, given the circumstances, time, and overall ability we had, we did very well. Did everyone love it? No, but that’s typically what happens anyway. We were done by 5 pm EST…. THATS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. We also slid out of this one with only 1 issue the whole time, again NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. There were a lot of good things about this GW, and there were things we can improve on as well. I just wanna say thank you to those that made this happen! @ DeadPool  @ Doc  @ Martinezzz  @ Zahzi  @ Masoooooooooon  @ destruct  @ Maddox  @ Millennium  and @ Orgondo

I’m  sure I missed some people that did more work then I realize, and I want to thank those individuals who know who they are as well.

• Like 7
  • Weird 1
8 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Decent event - smoke exploiting should just be allowed or get a dev to fix the smoke 

I did speak to both walt, deadpool and two separate devs about this. The response was: as it’s not on main servers it shouldn’t be a thing on GW. Tho i disagree with it, i’m with you on this one and having the smoke blur would add more of a dynamic to gang wars. 

Besides that I was sad to see the stream not working as we did test it twice with the overlays and such. If i was to summarize the my feedback in one word it would be “Time” Both the preparations(to some degree) the actual gang wars and the after-math was super rushed. But most importantly I and many others had fun!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Decent event - smoke exploiting should just be allowed or get a dev to fix the smoke as its always an issue and bs always happens

Not as easy as a dev just fixes it

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, Rossco said:

From my perspective I’d say the stream having a full run through AT LEAST a full day before would’ve been very very nice. I understand that people can be busy leading up to the date, so maybe just having a time set aside to make sure that runs smoother in the future would be nice for the spectators trying to see who can roach the furthest away! @ Eemil  

I’d also say further defining of processes to catch potential cheaters, exploiters etc. specifically, if someone is suspected of doing x y z, you’d ask them for evidence within the next 2-3 minutes so they could at least have the opportunity to hit the alt f10. This one is a little bit picky, but since not much went wrong I think it deserves some thought. I’d imagine the only real drama we faced during this gw would’ve been no drama at all if a well defined suspected exploiter/cheater system had been thought of before hand.

Lastly, multiple streams would be ideal IMO. I know I had some viewers on my stats stream who thought my second perspective (typically looking down onto cap) was more preferred then DP’s close up cam. Having 2 people streaming would just add another chance for spectators to get the view they most prefer.

I think overall like @ Zahzi  has already said, given the circumstances, time, and overall ability we had, we did very well. Did everyone love it? No, but that’s typically what happens anyway. We were done by 5 pm EST…. THATS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. We also slid out of this one with only 1 issue the whole time, again NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. There were a lot of good things about this GW, and there were things we can improve on as well. I just wanna say thank you to those that made this happen! @ DeadPool  @ Doc  @ Martinezzz  @ Zahzi  @ Masoooooooooon  @ destruct  @ Maddox  @ Millennium  and @ Orgondo

I’m  sure I missed some people that did more work then I realize, and I want to thank those individuals who know who they are as well.

815686381a33d2fabcc261e7ca6a7692.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 8
  • Weird 1

Definitely one of the quicker gang wars I have ever played in and getting things on track so good job on that side of things. @ Doc  @ DeadPool

But the whole bihi situation and the admins coming in the channel acting like they are better than us and not even listening to us until Grandma Gary stepped in (only admin it seems with common sense) was a bit ridiculous. 

For the finals it shouldn't of only been OG, the way in the past is one team gets to chose the first two rounds and the other team gets to chose the other two rounds for the map selection. 

I don't think T3 vests should be allowed, T2 would of been fine. 

There needs to be a smoke blur like other most servers instead of the default smoke. We all know the default smoke is actually awful. 

https://gyazo.com/51c7d0d2446f9d9d8ccddde1b5e50cfa 

I dont even have time to react in that smoke.

Overall I had a decent time considering the bihi drama. 

• Like 5
  • Senior Admin

Event actually went better than I thought ngl I was fully prepared for a complete shit show.

Only real issue I saw which made it so defensive sided on OG was how small the zone ended up getting as it was pretty a just sit in middle cubby until it hits 1 min and it's a guaranteed win since they had to just run at you.

Outside of the Bihi drama and the ddosing in the finals it was fun IMO 

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

give us more time to get player on the server 

the way @ DeadPool  handled  the server restart during the sy v tp fight was bad. he should have let us do 0 0 with even players would have been more fun for the players and the spectators.  

• Like 5
  • Longer time from post to actual event.
  • Have casters that people know / like / aren't cringe (aka have 2 or 3 Orgondos as they know how to balance the meme / actual shit without making it cringe / boring to listen to)
  • Be consistent on the rules, as much as "they are loosing anyways" is a argument you can pull, it sets a bad precedence as your basically saying "exploit all you want, just don't win and your fine"
  • As much as OG is fun and all, it would be enjoyable to see another cap / somewhere else being played, potentially have Best of 3 be 2 rounds OG 1 round somewhere else to "mix things up" unless that breaks something / is too hard to accomplish
  • Shitshow bracket, either do 100% rng from the start and stick with it or make the bracket interesting to watch. Its never been nor will it ever be fun to see a make a wish roster get thrown to semi finals for free because "eh, this bracket is fine".
  • I dont know the answer to this one but it would be nice to see more gangs participate, maybe have a incentive for gangs just to sign up and participate?
  • Split it up more instead of all in 1 go
  • The bihi situation 🤡 
  • Higher production value (the streams specifically)
  • Like 7

I thought it was cool the staff was actually going to stick to their rules regarding DQing people but the situation that happen regarding bihi wasn't the one to go off of. Overall it was a smooth ass gang wars appreciate all the staff that made it fun. Except whoever made that gross ass high school girl comment... tf was that🤮

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, WiIliam said:

@ nomadox still can’t believe they didnt let us commentate

let moe host gang wars movement 

The thing about that is that you would need to be in-game to see what's going on unless you want to commentate a 3 min delayed stream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, destruct said:

The thing about that is that you would need to be in-game to see what's going on unless you want to commentate a 3 min delayed stream.

i would of rather watched moe commentate a 3min delayed stream 

• Like 1
  • BlessUp 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Grandma Gary stepped in (only admin it seems with common sense)

Nah that guy has a crater in his head @ Grandma Gary

• Like 1
9 hours ago, destruct said:

How was the event from an spectator's perspective? Any suggestions?

As a spectator, ingame spectating was pretty dogshit ngl. Having more perspectives and someone more familiar with arma 3 spectator cam would have been better than deadpool's spectating. Sometimes he was focusing on boring stuff when there was action elsewhere for extended periods of time, as well as often leaving the arma 3 cam overlay open which is not a big deal, but kind of like watching a movie and having a cursor in the middle of the screen. Not a big deal but annoying. Additionally, time spent waiting between rounds could have been filled in by showing highlights from previous rounds from other perspectives that we might have missed on the main stream. I know this would prob require others with fast internet to upload the clips and be spectating in game, which may not be possible if you restrict it to staff members only ingame.

Commentating wise, I feel like there was a lot of empty space that someone could have filled in to keep the spectators engaged. There was some times with no action ingame and the commentators were silent which was pretty boring. Maybe having some stuff preprepared to talk about, such as fun facts about the players in the current round. Ex. "Tom is currently driving around cap while waiting for his team to setup a push. Fun fact about Tom, he starred in a tiktok that was featured on Barstool a little while ago." (Just an example, first thing I could think of. Also not really a good fact without being more specific and indirectly doxxing Tom). Different or at least more cohesive commentating would also help, as when I was watching sometimes commentators in the teamspeak channel would talk over each other and not really bounce off each other. 

Chat wise was pretty weird. Near the beginning of the stream the chat was constantly spammed with shit and then near the end it was dead. The spam was fine for the most part but some guy got doxxed or something at one point. Might want to put it in slow mode or something just its easier for mods to delete shit like that. The channel mods did good tho, I know at least Jaster was in there doing work 🙏💯✊💪 

Also if there was a way to bet on the outcome that would be sick

Edited by Lucien
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Carrot Kid
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣄⠀⠀⠹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠀⠀⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠿⠛⠛⠛⠁⠀⠀⠀⠛⠛⠛⠻⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⠟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀DEADPOLL⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠻⣿⣿⣿
⣿⡟⠁⠀⠀⠀PUMPKIN FUCKER ⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿
⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿
⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘