4690k and 970 run just fine. 

My build:

Motherboard: Asus z97-a

CPU: 4690k cooled with h100i OCed to 4.7

GPU: EVGA 970 with the ACX 2.0 cooler, also OCed

RAM: 16 GB (cant recall from who rn)

PSU: EVGA supernova G1 750W

Also have 256GB SSD for boot and 1 TB HDD for files

Yeaahhhh.  The agency I work for enjoys financially fisting its employees.

:(

It doesn't help that I have not gotten a raise in 8 years...

One last question. Will my motherboard be able to game with a 970 Msi. My friend says it wont. 

You're friend doesn't seem to know what he's talking about... It'll work, no reason for it not to.

ONE LaSt question. How will it get sound? Im using a cable headset so do I need to buy a soundcard?

Your headset can be used via analog or usb connection. Analog will use the on board audio from your motherboard, while usb will bypass it and use something slightly different. So to answer your question you won't need a sound card.

The sound card that's built into it is pretty amazing IMO. It was a very noticeable difference when I switched to that mobo from an old ASUS.

And why does your friend say you won't be able to game? Is he saying its not compatible, or that its not good enough?

The sound card that's built into it is pretty amazing IMO. It was a very noticeable difference when I switched to that mobo from an old ASUS.

And why does your friend say you won't be able to game? Is he saying its not compatible, or that its not good enough?

he says the gtx 970 would be too powerful for the motherboard. 

he says the gtx 970 would be too powerful for the motherboard. 

And you should get a 980 instead? I'm not sure you should be letting a friend like that build your computer out of parts that you're going to be paying over a grand for... The power itself is supplied by your PSU, and at 600 watts, it might be a little low, but you'd want to use a calculator for that. I would think it should be fine though.

Also, if you want some peace of mind, check this, states on there that its compatible with it.: http://us.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#support-vga

EDIT: I also noticed a few other changes. You downgraded to a 960. At that point, you may want to look at a 770, as it outperforms the 960.Their a little more expensive, but are still cheaper then the 970's. And do you plan on actually heavily overclocking your CPU? I have it overclocked somewhat, but the CPU performs great without OCing it. Reason I ask is that you're doing the liquid cooling (which I almost did) but I figured I'd try without it and add it later if anything. The stock fan that comes with it is REALLY decent, and I have had 0 issues with overheating. You can save yourself $100 and if anything just buy it later. And if you're not great with computers, most people are going to recommend you don't mess with overclocking. The OC Genie that comes with your Mobo will overclock it decently and you won't need liquid cooling for it. 

Honestly, I feel like your friend might be trying to get you to get things based on "coolness" factor.

Edited by Lucki

Just wanted to throw in, if you are building a beast 4k is worth the money. I picked up my samsung 28" from newegg for $400 and oh my lord it is simply beautiful. I cannot imagine going back to 1080p. Even if you get it as an upgrade later (I did) keep it in your mind. I am using 2 GTX 970s and it runs pretty smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Admin

Just wanted to throw in, if you are building a beast 4k is worth the money. I picked up my samsung 28" from newegg for $400 and oh my lord it is simply beautiful. I cannot imagine going back to 1080p. Even if you get it as an upgrade later (I did) keep it in your mind. I am using 2 GTX 970s and it runs pretty smoothly.

B, you are just trying to show off ;) . B's setup sounds good but I think he was looking at a lower budget. 

• Admin

I have 1 EVGA GTX 760 and run Arma 3 between 50 - 60 fps on ultra 970 would be perfect

I get 60 FPS with everything on ultra, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering etc with my 4790K  - 980GTX FTW - 16GB ram - Samsung EVO 840 SSD. But when the server is almost going to restart and I have my distance settings (AIR,ON FOOT,VEHICLE) on more than 4000 I can get 30-45FPS depending on the action at the moment.  So Arma is dumb. 

If you intend on saving some cash DO NOT GO WITH DDR4, The extra 500+ euro you spend isnt worth the 4 FPS perform,ance unless you intend on doing photo editing, video editing ect. 8GB 1600Mhz is just fine and you wont see more than a 2 or 3 FPS gain going from 8 to 16 to 32. The 970 only has 3.5 GB of usable VRAM not 4GB, I highly recomend getting the GTX 980 with a good cooler and overclocking it.

Bump.

Shit I didnt buy an SSD wtf did I need that for :(((((((((

Btw heres the finished masterpiece.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GqfQQ7

I had to call up to change my 960 ands superbiiz was very helpful. Good thing the order didnt process.

I like the build Horizon... but just as a reminder you don't have to go all in on your pc at the start... I know it's bad but it took me about a year  to even get a different CPU fan other than stock... Point is set your computer up for future upgrades...

My Current Specs:

Processor - Core i7 4770 @3.40GHz

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4GB FTW

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer

HardDrive: WD 2TB HDD

Memory: 16GB of G.SKILL Ripjawz Z Series DDR3 2400 RAM (4x4GB)

Displays: 2 x ASUS 24" Black 1ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD  Monitor w/ Speakers

I didnt go all in trust me. My friend bought a 16core intel i7 or whatever and a bunch of other high priced shit. His first build was $5500......

anyways, I got a 60hz monitor because thats all I need. I got the liquid cooling cause fuck it. I got the 4790k because the build is mainly for playing arma so the cpu was necessary. Uhh lets see, oh the motherboard is pretty cheap so thats no so "ballsy". Oh the 16gb ram was pretty pointless but Idk I always wanted a lot of ram so fuck it as well. I think I didnt go all in at all on this build :( fuck u cuzzi

I didnt go all in trust me. My friend bought a 16core intel i7 or whatever and a bunch of other high priced shit. His first build was $5500......

anyways, I got a 60hz monitor because thats all I need. I got the liquid cooling cause fuck it. I got the 4790k because the build is mainly for playing arma so the cpu was necessary. Uhh lets see, oh the motherboard is pretty cheap so thats no so "ballsy". Oh the 16gb ram was pretty pointless but Idk I always wanted a lot of ram so fuck it as well. I think I didnt go all in at all on this build :( fuck u cuzzi

Its definitely a lot more than I would have paid, but yeah, I haven't built a computer from scratch in years. Like Cuzzi said, upgrading ftw. Its not as big of an impact on your wallet, and you're only buying what you really need at the time.

Its definitely a lot more than I would have paid, but yeah, I haven't built a computer from scratch in years. Like Cuzzi said, upgrading ftw. Its not as big of an impact on your wallet, and you're only buying what you really need at the time.

after working so much i had to get rid of the money before my parents expected me to start buying everything myself ;)