McDili, AMA!

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm sure that's you in your profile pic... rite?

For a very long time it was my avatar in TS and when I would do cop interviews and when asked, I would always tell people it was me.

But no, it's not me. Just a picture I can never find on the internet anymore.

• Senior Developer

Stealing my own previous questions from Peter Long's, but I think they're interesting and pretty revealing.

1. If you had to describe the community that you're trying to build at olympus in 3 words, what would they be?
  2. What do you think the biggest problem with Olympus is from a game mechanics perspective right now?
  3. What do you think the biggest problem with Olympus is from a community perspective right now?
23 minutes ago, McDili said:

For a very long time it was my avatar in TS and when I would do cop interviews and when asked, I would always tell people it was me.

But no, it's not me. Just a picture I can never find on the internet anymore.

Was it this one? 887d78f81e79b31e33ae3242eec14e008428acbd

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, codeyeti said:

Stealing my own previous questions from Peter Long's, but I think they're interesting and pretty revealing.

1. If you had to describe the community that you're trying to build at olympus in 3 words, what would they be?
  2. What do you think the biggest problem with Olympus is from a game mechanics perspective right now?
  3. What do you think the biggest problem with Olympus is from a community perspective right now?

5 minutes ago, codeyeti said:

1 Big big bountys

2 No big towers

3 MBP not being unbanned :D 

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

Would you rather be moist all the time or sticky all the time?

Well social life is out the window at either option. So instead I think about how much more interesting reactions I'd get. I'd wanna be sticky, so I could touch people and be really creepy and see their reactions. It would make me laugh.

16 minutes ago, codeyeti said:

1. Carebear free zone (This is my own personal answer, not representative of staff ambition as a whole.)

2. Texture bug is easily the largest impact on the game right now. It's not unplayable, but it's close. And I hope Bohemia figures it out soon.

3. To piggy back on #1, and again this isn't representative of staff, I have issues with how strict we are being on censorship. That doesn't mean that I won't enforce what the staff as a whole is enforcing. I won't deviate from my duties just because I have a difference of opinion. But I have always been of the opinion that this is the internet. You can turn off the internet whenever you want, and unlike the real world where bullying and the like can be inescapable, it's perfectly avoidable online. That being said, I don't see the need for censorship outside of enforcing against racial slurs and explicitly sexual conduct. I think right now, it has caused more harm than good. Where before it was barely an issue, now it's basically just another tool for folks to use in a ban war when they aren't actually offended.

Outside of that one issue, the community is amazing. It has touched me and my family on more than one occasion. If you want details on that, ask me. But to stay on topic, the community is fantastic. It will be there for you when it really counts and that's what is amazing to me and why I continue my duties as an admin despite my own disagreements with the direction we are going with some things.

5 minutes ago, McDili said:

Well social life is out the window at either option. So instead I think about how much more interesting reactions I'd get. I'd wanna be sticky, so I could touch people and be really creepy and see their reactions. It would make me laugh.

Would you rather have Cheeto Dust on your fingers forever (yes, you can lick it, but it just grows back instantly) or lactate Orange Juice all the time.

2 minutes ago, Redmer said:

Have you ever in your time as admin on the server felt like olympus was gonna seize to exist? 

Cease*

As a staff member, no I did not. However before that, yes. Summer of last year was a really bad year for us. It was a couple months post-wipe. The hype was over, and the staff at the time has some much more glaring issues than it has today. We've come a very long way. In December 10 of 2015, "Doomsday" happened. Some of the staff went rogue and crazy. All in all it was handled after about an hour or two. The servers were already hurting for population badly, and their hadn't been an update in a couple months.

Ironically, this event changed Olympus for the better. Updates got churned out over the next two months. I became a Moderator on the heels of that event and worked with Brody and Peter Long. The staff changed so much, and with the updates out, we steadily increased our population again. And now here we are today, at this very moment on a Wednesday Server 1 and 2 have 100 and 91 players on. Servers are doing fantastic. There's always room for improvement, but we're not in any danger of going anywhere anytime soon.

Just now, Ham said:

Would you rather have Cheeto Dust on your fingers forever (yes, you can lick it, but it just grows back instantly) or lactate Orange Juice all the time.

Cheeto Dust. I hate orange juice.