Question about hostage/robbing

So there's that pesky rule which I don't really like, that if you rob someone you cannot kill them for any reason. I was watching aces stream last night and someone had taken a hostage but it popped up that they robbed the hostage. So I enjoy taking cops hostage, does this really mean I can't take the cops gear and then negotiate for his life? Cuz that's kinda lame IMO, I mean IRL is rob someone then barter for their lives.

So there's that pesky rule which I don't really like, that if you rob someone you cannot kill them for any reason. I was watching aces stream last night and someone had taken a hostage but it popped up that they robbed the hostage. So I enjoy taking cops hostage, does this really mean I can't take the cops gear and then negotiate for his life? Cuz that's kinda lame IMO, I mean IRL is rob someone then barter for their lives.

Yes that is exactly as it means.  You have a choice when you take someone hostage, you get their gear or their life.  If you kill them you don't get their gear, if you take the gear you can't take their life.

Why do you need their gear if your taking them hostage?  Why not put it in your demands that you want a such and such police rifle with 4 tazer mags and $75,000 or whatever the new rule states?

This was done because Civ's were abusing the hostage situation.  Its unfortunate.

• Like 1