Switch from HDDto SSD

Phroqg

• Owner
6 hours ago, Metro said:

After reseting your hdd you will loose everything, including windows..install windows on the SSD and make. I could tell you you will run out of space and that you should make the hdd a secondary drive to keep bigger files on. Because 500gb will eventually run out

This. Also it’s best to keep things off your SSD, granted there is space for installations, but typically you would want a secondary drive to install everything like steam, games, etc on so it doesn’t interfere with anything in the SSD. 

56 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This. Also it’s best to keep things off your SSD, granted there is space for installations, but typically you would want a secondary drive to install everything like steam, games, etc on so it doesn’t interfere with anything in the SSD. 

So what do you advise I keep on the SSD and what to keep off?

• Owner
1 hour ago, 9mm said:

So what do you advise I keep on the SSD and what to keep off?

On SSD keep the essentials such as windows or any main programs, as well as any large games that you want to use for a faster startup. Essentially, just dont fill the SSD past 80% capacity, this way there is room for anything that is necessary. For example, I have my steam, all of the games from steam, and any media files like shadowplay videos, etc on my HDD. On my SSD all there really is on there is my windows installation, and stuff like teamspeak or discord.

I read through like 4 posts and decided my brain can only take so much hurt. Soo... I have a few questions:

1. Do you have the windows 10 install media?

2. Do you mind reinstalling everything or are you going to be copying over?

3. Do you have any weird errors or BSoD with your current installation?

4. When was the last time your did a clean install?

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

. Essentially, just dont fill the SSD past 80% capacity

This point is actually a very good one, never fill any drive over 80% or you'll have serious performance hits, not just storage problems.

4 hours ago, JELLO said:

I need one too i hate waiting 5 minuets after i get in game to actually play due to loading. Should i get m.2 or normal sata ssd?

Depends on your budget and if you have hardware that supports native m.2... i runs 2x m.2 in raid1 on my motherboard, which has a hardware raid controller...its screaming fast...like copy 5 gig file in 5 seconds fast... but if your a casual user on a budget, SSD will give you a huge performance boost for little cost...

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

If the computers primary purpose is for gaming, i would install your primary games on the SSD as map loading etc. will happen much faster...

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

On SSD keep the essentials such as windows or any main programs, as well as any large games that you want to use for a faster startup. Essentially, just dont fill the SSD past 80% capacity, this way there is room for anything that is necessary. For example, I have my steam, all of the games from steam, and any media files like shadowplay videos, etc on my HDD. On my SSD all there really is on there is my windows installation, and stuff like teamspeak or discord.

Still confused on how I move Windows over to my SSD from my HDD and yeah I put Arma on the SSD and teamspeak, works super well I just need windows on there aswell and im set.

Can someone tell me how I move windows 10 from my HDD to the SSD, I tried using that program to clone but I couldn't work it so Is there a way to move windows 10 over with no hassle?