Another cry for help

So I found that I was random ping spikes. Will hold a steady low ping, it randomly jumps to 200-500. Gives me no message received or lags the fuck out for a min. Nothing has change physically with my set up. I dont have access to do a hard line to the router as its on the other side of my apartment. I use a little usb adapter for my internet connection. Its a Net Gear AC1900. Has served me well for little over a year and no issues. Just curious if anyone can help me trouble shoot what to do.

Bro this can literally be soooo many things.   Without a hardwire to check its almost impossible to nail down for sure, but glad to know my initial assessment appears correct. 

Sounds stupid... but monitor your network and go turn on your microwave oven and then watch for ping spikes.  Any high power devices, like appliances, power tools, may also factor in but at a lower rate. 

You can also try assigning manual channels, which would be in your driver settings, to see if one frequency is more stable than the other.  Theyre designed when on auto to pick the best one, but intermittent interference doesn't register in that decision.  Just swap, should have 10 with the AC series.   Could also switch to 5g mode if your router supports it, but I think the AC series is too old to, but that would cut off your allowed distance from your router pretty drastically in that range.  

Ultimately bud, if you can't land line, we cannot rule out for certain that it's related to your wifi or your internet itself.   You could potentially call your isp and have them check if you've been having connectivity issues, but what they tell you can't 100% be relied upon.  Most of those people read from a script, look at a small segment, and have no idea what they're doing and make 12 an hour. 

There's also the possibility that the antennae cable in your wifi card might be shorting out as well, or even thinning.  That can cause issues as well over time. 

Good news is those are like 40 bucks for a good one so pretty easy to rule it out. 

Are you able to use powerline adapters or moca instead of wifi in your apartment?

Is your computer’s IP set statically? Make sure there is a reservation or it is out of the scope of addresses on the DHCP server.

Disable shutting off your wifi adapter to save power in the properties in device manager if you can.

Get a wifi scanning app on your phone and check if there are other people who have networks in the same channels as yours. Try changing the channel to one less saturated if there is a lot of traffic.

Also, considering you are in an apartment, it could literally be interference from someone turning a microwave on or something. 

Do you have this issue with other wifi devices?

Update:  You have one of the newer AC series.  If your device supports it, you can attempt to connect to the 5g band, but i wouldn't recommend that unless your nic is within 10m of your router.  Gives you a much faster and more reliable data xfer rate but at a much smaller range as that frequency disperses faster.  

If you are connected to the 5g, switch to standard and see if that helps. 

4 minutes ago, Lucien said:

Are you able to use powerline adapters or moca instead of wifi in your apartment?

Is your computer’s IP set statically? Make sure there is a reservation or it is out of the scope of addresses on the DHCP server.

Disable shutting off your wifi adapter to save power in the properties in device manager if you can.

Get a wifi scanning app on your phone and check if there are other people who have networks in the same channels as yours. Try changing the channel to one less saturated if there is a lot of traffic.

Also, considering you are in an apartment, it could literally be interference from someone turning a microwave on or something. 

Do you have this issue with other wifi devices?

Previously he said it's stable, suggesting it's only the random intermittent ping spikes.  But yeah apartments are a good call  I never thought of.  Two people using a microwave close to you at once could completely disperse the waves.  

Additionally, shutting off power to your router and modem, and unscrewing the coax cable and screwing it back in gently (coax was not designed for fiberoptic, theyre more fraile than they're treated and cable guys never updated their methods, was just a way to update from existing hardware).  Look for fraying, the pin in the center being good.. make sure it was a clean cut. 

Turn the power back on after 2 minutes or so for a good cold boot of both, starting with modem, then router, then connect with pc. 

So I fixed it. Just wanna throw it out there how... I updated my graphics driver and cpu drivers. Its flawless now. I hate computers and how they work.

2 minutes ago, Wong said:

So I fixed it. Just wanna throw it out there how... I updated my graphics driver and cpu drivers. Its flawless now. I hate computers and how they work.

I.. have doubts.   CPU maybe possibly confliction issues.  Think you might just be getting lucky for now.   If it starts back up  let us know 😄

5 hours ago, DrB said:

Probably one of the least toxic threads I've seen on Olympus

fuck you........... respectfully

• BlessUp 1
  • SWAT Commander

Would highly suggest MoCa adapters over power line ANY day. I run 1Gbps symmetrical over it with 0 issues. 

Would suggest getting off wireless.