Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Anyone else been playing Arma 3 Life mod? If so what are your guys opinions of playing it?

My personal experience is I like it alot. I hope that we can get some aspects of it transfered over into Altis. Like Wheatkings idea of bringing a Sheriffs office into the game but it being very limited.

Just a reminder, keep the thread civil. There's a lot of hate against A3L over on the bis forums, I don't want that coming over here.

I hear you and the mods/admins have been playing it what do you think of it Poseidon?

I hear you and the mods/admins have been playing it what do you think of it Poseidon?

It's fine for them to play it, they're just messing around seeing what it's like over there. But from what our staff has said so far they prefer Olympus over A3L any day.

What I think about it? Well I remember seeing those youtube videos of it way back in the day, it looked great, and had a lot of unique/nice features. They had a good developer who looked like he really knew what he was doing, and he was making some cool stuff. When I seen the quality of those features at that time it made me think about the future of other non modded altis life servers, in particular if there would be a demand for the non modded servers at all. But from what I heard that developer left at some point, taking with him a lot of the nice features he had made. After that I saw the overall quality of the project decrease and was no longer worried about a decrease in demand for regular altis life servers, as plenty of those nicely made features that I once saw were gone along with the developer who had made them.

I currently have not played on their current server, nor have I applied. I've only seen the videos and heard stuff from other people. But from what I've seen they use a modified version of Tonics altis life code (just like we do), use a ton of public made mods, and have a bunch of cool looking cars. The main thing that sets them apart from other servers is the car mods, the hype, and publicity streamers/youtubers give them.

It's fine for them to play it, they're just messing around seeing what it's like over there. But from what our staff has said so far they prefer Olympus over A3L any day.

What I think about it? Well I remember seeing those youtube videos of it way back in the day, it looked great, and had a lot of unique/nice features. They had a good developer who looked like he really knew what he was doing, and he was making some cool stuff. When I seen the quality of those features at that time it made me think about the future of other non modded altis life servers, in particular if there would be a demand for the non modded servers at all. But from what I heard that developer left at some point, taking with him a lot of the nice features he had made. After that I saw the overall quality of the project decrease and was no longer worried about a decrease in demand for regular altis life servers, as plenty of those nicely made features that I once saw were gone along with the developer who had made them.

I currently have not played on their current server, nor have I applied. I've only seen the videos and heard stuff from other people. But from what I've seen they use a modified version of Tonics altis life code (just like we do), use a ton of public made mods, and have a bunch of cool looking cars. The main thing that sets them apart from other servers is the car mods, the hype, and publicity streamers/youtubers give them.

Yeah it really is a nice break from the shenanigans in Kavala, such as VDM, RDM and little to no RP. I feel they have some really cool aspects such as the cars, prison system, taskforceradio, and the consistent RP (but that comes from players). I'd like to some aspects transfer over to Olympus, but i completely understand that you dont want to add mods over to Olympus because it would force people to download stuff before they can play. But the things i find at faults with it is the permanent record system where if you are involved in a felony you cannot be a cop, the glitch are really bad atm and you cant drive over bridges going super fast, last fault i say is its too much RP. But through all this i come to playing Altis because its more fun and choatic and if i rob the bank i dont have to wait 3hrs in jail, If i knew more people who played A3L i'd find it more fun and what not but i dont. I'm sure it would play alot better the more people you have. It is majorly over hyped on youtube by FrankieonPC MrMoon PsiSyndicate and DevilDogGaming they make it seem too easy but its.not thats what i feel about it.
  • Like 1

I personally haven't played it either, but all the things that you've brought up Squall are issues that I've found in what I've seen.  The over the top RP requirements is one of my biggest sticking points.  I love RP but its pretty excessive there.

The only things I see there that I'd like to have brought here are the banks.  I'd like to see bank branches in the 4 major cities and a few ATMs in the smaller cities.

I like Task Force Radio, but each time there is a game update TFR is broke until the mod for it fixes it which I've seen take anywhere from 1 day to 7 days.

I love the look of the police vehicles, EMS and tow trucks... its nice that they have some of the other civie cars... but I'm not as impressed with them.

I saw the videos and thought it would be something cool to mix things up a bit, but I ended up flaking on the interview. Their application alone (multiple essays, really?) made me procrastinate for probably 2 weeks before finally submitting one.

A3L looks kind of cool, but overall I'm happy here and from what I'm reading, I made the correct decision my forgetting about it and staying here at Olympus.

#OlympusIsLife

• Like 1

I've played multiple life servers on arma 2. Most of which were modded and were very popular. Right before arma 3 came out, me and my boys started to play on a non modded life server that was very popular all the way to the end. Hell it might still be up. Olympus community is great. I think as long as new features and content get added, it'll remain the best life server for arma 3 in my opinion.

I've noticed this became a comparison of A3L to Olympus.

I feel that it's unique. It's special in its own way and the reason it's popular is because it's as close to real life as any Arma 3 mod has really come. The reason you can't become an officer if you have a felony on record is because that's how it works in real life. If you've murdered someone in real life, then good luck becoming a cop.

I love Altis Life because it brings in elements from real life while still remaining a game. I have yet to play A3L, though I'll probably be hopping on today (the process to get whitelisted and everything is insanely long). It looks fun, though I've questioned whether or not I'll truly enjoy it is very different.

EDIT: I shouldn't have to say it, but I will. I obviously love the Olympus servers or else I would've left a long time ago. =P

I think I'd prefer A3, but I believe it is a required donation to play...? No thanks, I want to choose to donate like with this server.

The character background you have to fill out, I have no issue whatsoever with, the extra features look fantastic and damn...that roleplay looks fun, but as I say, paying for a mod? I don't think that's fair.

I don't know the details, but I've heard in passing it's a $30 "donation" to allow you to get in the servers...I paid $30 for ARMA, plus DLC, plus donation here...I'm in over $100 for this game!

EDIT:

Ahh. I understand the controversy now after watching PsiSyndicate explain it (albeit in a very rambling sort of way)

TL;DW for anyone who is curious, there is controversy surrounding the fact that it's pretty dodgy that they are very close to charging for a lot of content they didn't create and did not have permission to monetize.

I hope this isn't considered "hate" - I was just unaware of the controversy until 5 or so minutes ago.

I think I'd prefer A3, but I believe it is a required donation to play...? No thanks, I want to choose to donate like with this server.

The character background you have to fill out, I have no issue whatsoever with, the extra features look fantastic and damn...that roleplay looks fun, but as I say, paying for a mod? I don't think that's fair.

I don't know the details, but I've heard in passing it's a $30 "donation" to allow you to get in the servers...I paid $30 for ARMA, plus DLC, plus donation here...I'm in over $100 for this game!

EDIT:

Ahh. I understand the controversy now after watching PsiSyndicate explain it (albeit in a very rambling sort of way)

TL;DW for anyone who is curious, there is controversy surrounding the fact that it's pretty dodgy that they are very close to charging for a lot of content they didn't create and did not have permission to monetize.

I hope this isn't considered "hate" - I was just unaware of the controversy until 5 or so minutes ago.

To correct it is no longer to pay to get in if you pass your interview and application then you can be whitelisted no more $30 donation

From the first youtube video right up until now, I think A3L looked like a cheap, cheesy, version of Altis Life. I thought the cars, added buildings, added bridges ect ect look like they are from a 1999 Nintendo game or something to me lol.....never have played it and never will. Simply because if I want to look at a game like that I would play one of the first need for speeds or Grand Theft Auto's on the very first Playstation lol. JUNK!!

According to several popular Arma3 streamers they got a pretty nasty cease and desist letter from Bohemia

Their lead programer left the project and Bohemia took offense to the stolen code and the $30 application fee

Not sure what the future holds for the project, but you might want to google it