Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school. Those are just a few reasons why it’s the most important meal of the day.

See, I hear conflicting shit on this and have had arguments with my buddies about this. So I'll play devil's advocate. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/upshot/sorry-theres-nothing-magical-about-breakfast.html

"Many of the studies are funded by the food industry, which has a clear bias. Kellogg funded a highly cited article that found that cereal for breakfast is associated with being thinner. "

Where did this idea come from?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/how-marketers-invented-the-modern-version-of-breakfast/487130/

"What is less commonly mentioned is the origin of this ode to breakfast: a 1944 marketing campaign launched by General Foods, the manufacturer of Grape Nuts, to sell more cereal."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/28/breakfast-health-america-kellog-food-lifestyle

Or, It could be a combination of both. https://examine.com/nutrition/is-it-really-that-bad-to-skip-breakfast/

The last link gives some pro's and con's with eating breakfast. 

Now I'm going to copy and paste a reply to a similar thread I saw a while back. 

"Professor Terence Kealey's book Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal highlights the many ways in which it is dangerous.

Because of evolution, humans did not naturally eat in the morning. As a result, our body provides a spike in blood sugar to cope with the natural fast we have. So if we eat breakfast (which in our society is usually full of carbs (i.e. sugar) and other foods of low nutritional value) then our blood sugar levels rocket up, which also increases our insulin resistance, eventually leading to type 2 diabetes.

Furthermore, eating breakfast increases our hunger throughout the day (contrary to prevailing wisdom) and makes it more likely for us to eat more calories throughout the whole day.

As other commentators have stated, many of the studies which try to prove that breakfast is good for us are flawed for two reasons: Firstly, they are nearly always funded by Kelloggs or similar, and secondly, they are based on correlation and not causation. This is because it is true that, generally speaking, people who eat breakfast are also more healthy than those who do not. However, this is because people who eat breakfast come from a higher socioeconomic profile than those who don't, and so generally do what they are told when it comes to health and nutrition - such as eat their 5 fruit and veg a day, do lots of exercise, etc., and to eat breakfast. They are therefore healthier in spite of the fact they eat breakfast, and not because of it. This then allows the studies funded by Kelloggs and other food companies to say "Hey look! People who eat breakfast are less obese!" Which then in turn allows bad news publications to say "Hey look! People who eat breakfast are less likely to be obese!" Which is a lie."

2 minutes ago, Thorin Oakenshield said:

See, I hear conflicting shit on this and have had arguments with my buddies about this. So I'll play devil's advocate. 

"Breakfast also restores glucose levels, an essential carbohydrate that is needed for the brain to function. Many studies have shown how eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels and it can also make us happier as it can improve mood and lower stress levels. In studies amongst children, breakfast can improve attainment, behaviour and has been linked to improved grades. Just like any other organ in the body, the brain needs energy to work at it's best! People's energy needs vary depending on activity levels and life stage but typically men require more energy than women. Growing children require a lot of energy, as an example boys aged 7-10yrs should consume approx. 1970 kcals per day, and girls aged 7-10yrs should consume approx. 1740 kcals. For adults, men require approx. 2500 kcals and women approx. 2000 kcals per day. Apart from providing us with energy, breakfast foods are good sources of important nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins as well as protein and fibre. The body needs these essential nutrients and research shows that if these are missed at breakfast, they are less likely to be compensated for later in the day. Fruit and vegetables are good sources of vitamins and minerals so try to include a portion of your daily five at breakfast, whether that be a banana or glass of fruit juice. Breakfast can be good for waistline too, research shows those who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight and more likely to be within their ideal weight range compared with breakfast skippers. If you skip breakfast, you're more likely to reach for high sugar and fatty snacks mid-morning. Breakfast is an excellent occasion to eat together as a family when possible. Establishing good breakfast habits in childhood and maintaining them throughout adolescence may be an important factor in reducing the prevalence of breakfast skipping and developing good eating habits that last a lifetime." - Some random website

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

"Breakfast also restores glucose levels, an essential carbohydrate that is needed for the brain to function. Many studies have shown how eating breakfast can improve memory and concentration levels and it can also make us happier as it can improve mood and lower stress levels. In studies amongst children, breakfast can improve attainment, behaviour and has been linked to improved grades. Just like any other organ in the body, the brain needs energy to work at it's best! People's energy needs vary depending on activity levels and life stage but typically men require more energy than women. Growing children require a lot of energy, as an example boys aged 7-10yrs should consume approx. 1970 kcals per day, and girls aged 7-10yrs should consume approx. 1740 kcals. For adults, men require approx. 2500 kcals and women approx. 2000 kcals per day. Apart from providing us with energy, breakfast foods are good sources of important nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins as well as protein and fibre. The body needs these essential nutrients and research shows that if these are missed at breakfast, they are less likely to be compensated for later in the day. Fruit and vegetables are good sources of vitamins and minerals so try to include a portion of your daily five at breakfast, whether that be a banana or glass of fruit juice. Breakfast can be good for waistline too, research shows those who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight and more likely to be within their ideal weight range compared with breakfast skippers. If you skip breakfast, you're more likely to reach for high sugar and fatty snacks mid-morning. Breakfast is an excellent occasion to eat together as a family when possible. Establishing good breakfast habits in childhood and maintaining them throughout adolescence may be an important factor in reducing the prevalence of breakfast skipping and developing good eating habits that last a lifetime." - Some random website

Without any link to the studies I can't verify those claims at all. And the studies is all I care for in that paragraph because all it says otherwise "is x is needed by the body", "x is a good source of x for the body" and "x is found in breakfast food".

The claim of  "If you skip breakfast, you're more likely to reach for high sugar and fatty snacks mid-morning." isn't sourced 

Also the whole weight argument is something I already linked to biased studies, but I couldn't check for sure because there isn't a link.

and "Establishing good breakfast habits in childhood and maintaining them throughout adolescence may be an important factor in reducing the prevalence of breakfast skipping and developing good eating habits that last a lifetime." Is just a conclusions that assumes breakfast is good based on what was "proven"

11 minutes ago, Thorin Oakenshield said:

Without any link to the studies I can't verify those claims at all. And the studies is all I care for in that paragraph because all it says otherwise "is x is needed by the body", "x is a good source of x for the body" and "x is found in breakfast food".

The claim of  "If you skip breakfast, you're more likely to reach for high sugar and fatty snacks mid-morning." isn't sourced 

Also the whole weight argument is something I already linked to biased studies, but I couldn't check for sure because there isn't a link.

and "Establishing good breakfast habits in childhood and maintaining them throughout adolescence may be an important factor in reducing the prevalence of breakfast skipping and developing good eating habits that last a lifetime." Is just a conclusions that assumes breakfast is good based on what was "proven"

lol