Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Recent server lag @ devs

Side chats been freaking out about the recent lag right after the update -- so obviously I said just revert the changes there must be a performance issue.

Someone replied with, well its actually all the traffic downloading the new mission file.

To that I responded with well if it causes the server to go down 3 times can we move that to another server/source/s3 bucket so it doesnt cause network congestion

I was responded with later that's a limitation on the game engine, so now I am just curious what that limitation is -- obviously you guys know much more about SQF and its quarks then me but thats the only answer I got was its an engine limitation. Just curious what that limitation is... if anyone knows, only thing I could think of is SQF cant send external requests.

Just trying to brainstorm maybe a possible solution, as it seems like this would be an issue every update you guys want to make, so this would be a repeating problem

Edited by Diversity
  • Senior Web Developer

Was explained (very basic explanation) already in side chat, but @ Fraali or @ codeYeTi can give more in-depth why we can't "move the resource" to another server for download.

• BlessUp 1
2 minutes ago, stayclaxxy said:

Was explained (very basic explanation) already in side chat, but @ Fraali or @ codeYeTi can give more in-depth why we can't "move the resource" to another server for download.

if u wanna kiss me just kiss me already dude

• Lead Developer

Arma is hard limited by its own engine in terms of downloading mission files with hard-coded bandwidth. We CAN offload mission file downloads to dropbox or something similar IF they selectively download it. If they dont choose to go out of their way, it uses the default.

I've tried upping the server bandwidth, that just causes lag on a day to day basis. I tried lowering the server bandwidth, the issue with downloading missions gets worse. As of now, as far as I can tell we have the best that I am able to configure.

In the end, I'm at a loss as to what the fuck is actually going on because arma be fuckin' arma.

• Like 3
  • BlessUp 1
1 hour ago, Fraali said:

Arma is hard limited by its own engine in terms of downloading mission files with hard-coded bandwidth. We CAN offload mission file downloads to dropbox or something similar IF they selectively download it. If they dont choose to go out of their way, it uses the default.

I've tried upping the server bandwidth, that just causes lag on a day to day basis. I tried lowering the server bandwidth, the issue with downloading missions gets worse. As of now, as far as I can tell we have the best that I am able to configure.

In the end, I'm at a loss as to what the fuck is actually going on because arma be fuckin' arma.

FAKE NEWS 

this is what they want u to believe in reality the servers poor performance is all mako and fraalis faults

Dont be sheep people

• Lead Developer
Just now, JordanBeatCoivd said:

FAKE NEWS 

this is what they want u to believe in reality the servers poor performance is all mako and fraalis faults

Dont be sheep people

You can believe that server performance is my fault from nearly 3 years of bullshit that I put up with here. Up to you.

10 minutes ago, Fraali said:

How are we sure its the mission file download? And yeah obviously user experience/adoption for downloading and installing a mission file manually is --- lets just say not possible. I was not really suggesting that but more of hosting it off the main server, A kind of microservice if you will. Ideally you would just need to point the user to download from xyz allowing bandwidth to not be clogged on the main server and still process normal network traffic like vehicle etc..

Just curious how the utilization is going for both RAM/Swap & CPU as well.

Just want to add, im not asking these things to blame you or cause you guys any harm... Don't want this to be seen as a negative view -- Just wanted to see if I could possible help brain storm a solution with my background being in software development for some time now

Edited by Diversity
  • Lead Developer
3 minutes ago, Diversity said:

How are we sure its the mission file download? And yeah obviously user experience/adoption for downloading and installing a mission file manually is --- lets just say not possible. I was not really suggesting that but more of hosting it off the main server, A kind of microservice if you will. Ideally you would just need to point the user to download from xyz allowing bandwidth to not be clogged on the main server and still process normal network traffic like vehicle etc..

Just curious how the utilization is going for both RAM/Swap & CPU as well.

Just want to add, im not asking these things to blame you or cause you guys any harm... Don't want this to be seen as a negative view -- Just wanted to see if I could possible help brain storm a solution with my background being in software development for some time now

We've tried a bunch of possible methods for downloading missions and "other" traffic, however ALL of that traffic is handled in-engine and doesn't allow for external processes to offload. Its all encrypted through specific methods they use, and we would never be able to grab it unless we were to break Bohemia TOS by reverse engineering the engine, which we aren't about to do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fraali said:

We've tried a bunch of possible methods for downloading missions and "other" traffic, however ALL of that traffic is handled in-engine and doesn't allow for external processes to offload. Its all encrypted through specific methods they use, and we would never be able to grab it unless we were to break Bohemia TOS by reverse engineering the engine, which we aren't about to do.

Non of these possible methods will work. Give me dev perms i have a prominent solution 

• STFU 1
3 minutes ago, Fraali said:

Damn, that's unfortunate -- I have some crazy idea in my head about running identical methods on another server (but probably way too far fetched to be real). Overall this sounds like a dangerous exploit in general. If it truly is the mission file causing it hopefully bohemia can do something about it.... Who knows it might even be that encryption method that doesn't scale very well and is even causing the issue. 

Thanks for the time and responses, best of luck debugging

• BlessUp 1
8 hours ago, Fraali said:

Don’t lose sleep bro! In time there will come a perfect solution.

Without training, they lacked knowledge, without knowledge they lacked confidence, without confidence they lacked victory.

HAVE CONFIDENCE BRO!