Vehicle window tinting on Server 1

Thoughts on adding the option to tint windows on S1  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should window tint be added

• Yes
    • No

Suggestion for gameplay enhancement,

Like in the vehicle customization screen you can select the paint/gloss of a vehicle, add an option for window tinting.

This would serve multi purpose-

1. Outside players would have a harder time knowing how many people are inside of a vehicle, making it riskier to engage it.

2. Names would be hidden (Similar to how blindfolds still show SteamID, staff would be able to determine who is in a vehicle via SteamID, so it is drastically harder to make a quick determination on who it is for the player, but shouldn't be an issue for staff).

3. Enemy gang status would be hidden. (Similar to #2, It would only show a white PID for the driver over the vehicle, even if its enemy gang, realistic right?)

The cost-

The cost for the tint should be fairly expensive given the traits described above. Most likely 100k starting for a hatchback sport, and going up accordingly from there. Obviously only available on vehicles with windows (No quads, quilins, Prowlers, ETC).

Depending on feedback, it could be non-storable in the garage (such as the nitrous purchase at garage iirc). This is for balancing, and making it so that not everyone can constantly run around in tint. Also for balancing purposes, If windows are shot out (or the vehicle needs to be repaired) the tint will go away, needing to be repurchased. 

Apds response-

APD still will only see a SteamID, but window tint will technically be cause for a traffic stop. Perhaps add a new fine for $1000 for illegal window tint.

The tint itself would not give PC to check the player/vehicle for illegal items, however, if the player is wanted then there is PC.

One glaring issue while thinking of this idea would be how does texting work then with engagement if you cant see their name?

A fix to this issue could be simple (maybe, speaking as a non dev). Currently in the phone menu, you can see a list of names, and thats how you find who youre going to text for engagement currently. What I am suggesting to enable this suggestion would be adding so that as you hover over a name in the phone menu, the players SteamID is shown. This would again, make it drastically harder for people to find and text engage quickly, which is kind of the whole point of the tint. For anonymity. 

Not a huge gameplay change persay, but I believe it would spice the game up a little more than adding jumpscare flying ghosts who RVD helis. 

• Like 1

+1 but i think illegal tint should be added and if caught by apd then it gives probable cause to search the vehicle

i like the idea of window tint but if there isn't an illegal amount of tint then everyone would just rock the most tint possible.

for example, tint would come in 5 stages, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and illegal tint 90%(no 100% tint because that would just be broken)

25 minutes ago, Ahegao said:

not being able to ID for engagements via rangefinders is probably gonna cause more trouble than content this will make.

Did you read the entire post? I specifically mentioned a way past this issue. See quote below.

Also, The entire point of tint would be to make it harder to determine who is who. Not impossible, but if youre looking for a specific players steam ID: 76542846261 in the phone list, its gonna be drastically harder/longer comparing numbers rather than just looking for [Frog] Gayman in the player list. Which I dont think would be a bad thing. Again, thats (most of the time) the whole point of people tinting their cars, for anonymity.

9 hours ago, Boxxyy said:

One glaring issue while thinking of this idea would be how does texting work then with engagement if you cant see their name?

A fix to this issue could be simple (maybe, speaking as a non dev). Currently in the phone menu, you can see a list of names, and thats how you find who youre going to text for engagement currently. What I am suggesting to enable this suggestion would be adding so that as you hover over a name in the phone menu, the players SteamID is shown. This would again, make it drastically harder for people to find and text engage quickly, which is kind of the whole point of the tint. For anonymity. 

3 hours ago, proud said:

+1 but i think illegal tint should be added and if caught by apd then it gives probable cause to search the vehicle

i like the idea of window tint but if there isn't an illegal amount of tint then everyone would just rock the most tint possible.

for example, tint would come in 5 stages, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and illegal tint 90%(no 100% tint because that would just be broken)

While I get the idea, It would be pretty hard to make the differences between the 5 stages noticable, Unless somehow devs could implement a timer to identify someone within a car, and the different tint levels would change that timer.

Ie: (not actual time/price suggestions, just rough estimates)

20% 2 seconds 

40% 4 seconds

60% 6 seconds

80% 9 seconds

90% 12 seconds. 

Cost basis: Every additional second costs 10-15k. Ie, 90% would cost 120k-180k to use, being its the best time given, so on and so fourth. (Obviously all up for tweaking)

Whether or not it should go that far in detail or not could be discussed/considered, however im going to assume implementing a working system for that would become fairly taxing on dev time.

To be clear, this suggestion is with 75% consideration into the utility of such an item/feature being added, and 25% cosmetic.

I feel like most complaints regarding this potential addition would be the weirdos who like to randomly engage people 1km out and try plinking them from 500m away. Majority of the time this would be effective is at distances outside of voice range. If youre close, obviously you can just "hands up or die guy(s) in the car". If you wanna be far, then you should have to spend the extra time identifying WHO you are engaging. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, nicole said:

No, but I think he means just the functionality of it.

If it's supposed to be disguising how many players are in a vehicle, it has to go beyond funtionality and actually have physical tinting.

9 hours ago, xsmitherz said:

Can tint be done without mods?

8 hours ago, nicole said:

No, but I think he means just the functionality of it.

I assumed vehicle cosmetics could be modless @ nicole .  Considering the APD had a pushbar was added, I imagined there might be a way for a sort of window tinting on vehicles. 

Again, way out of my knowledge as a non dev.

• 2 weeks later...