What would you buy..?

Just now, Bubbaloo Burrito said:

If that is the price for a 970 he might as well wait to get the 1070 since it runes about $70 more. Even though he won't make full use of it he will be future proofing for a better setup down the road. 

the problem with that is cpu and motherboard. thats why i said what i said earlier. i have a video card on a outdated mobo with a outdated cpu. the 1070 would be best pairded with a skylake cpu or something of the sort. for what he is running now. it would be a complete waste of money. that and he would never fully utilize the 1070. that card is also more demanding on power than what he is using now. which reminds me. what size is your power source hunter

2 hours ago, pHunter said:

Is my PC able to handle the 970, or 1070? Not too bad for these cards?

Of course, just be sure that your power supply is atleast over 400 watts. But just in case I would get a new motherboard as well (depending on the one you already have)

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Remer said:

Of course, just be sure that your power supply is atleast over 400 watts. But just in case I would get a new motherboard as well (depending on the one you already have)

well he wouldnt really need a new mobo unless he plans to upgrade his cpu. 400 watts should be enough for a 970. i dont remember. if not. power supplies are cheap enough now that it doesnt matter. i have a corsair mx750 sitting in a box i bought reman for 50 bucks. you can find good deals on them if need be. but with a 400 if thats what he has. that should be plenty to run a stock card on factory settings. if he chooses to oc. he might want something bigger

25 minutes ago, Gidgit said:

the problem with that is cpu and motherboard. thats why i said what i said earlier. i have a video card on a outdated mobo with a outdated cpu. the 1070 would be best pairded with a skylake cpu or something of the sort. for what he is running now. it would be a complete waste of money. that and he would never fully utilize the 1070. that card is also more demanding on power than what he is using now. which reminds me. what size is your power source hunter

A 1070 will undoubtedly do better than the 970 regardless of the mobo/cpu.  He has a 600W power supply which is more than enough to run a 1070.

pHunter, most people think your CPU is this crazy bottleneck that you have to overclock. Your GPU actually does most of the legwork in most applications and you will get more out of the GPU than anything. Your CPU might bottleneck you in ArmA regardless of what GPU you get (770, 970, 1070 doesn't matter) but it's fine for pretty much every other game and a 1070 will see much better performance than the 970. It is certainly not a waste of money. Do what Poseidon said, get the 970 and step up to 1070

42 minutes ago, McDili said:

Do what Poseidon said, get the 970 and step up to 1070

The only problem with this, is the 1070 is 2x price of the 970 ( according to EVGA website, like $320 and $600 something). I don't want to spend this much on my computer.

I used to completely renew my pc in every 3-5 years, which means I try to build a good average computer in every 3-5 years. 

7 minutes ago, pHunter said:

The only problem with this, is the 1070 is 2x price of the 970 ( according to EVGA website, like $320 and $600 something). I don't want to spend this much on my computer.

I used to completely renew my pc in every 3-5 years, which means I try to build a good average computer in every 3-5 years. 

Idk how you're getting that pricing info. It's going to go for around $380 ish

Like Poseidon said, get a 970 and use EVGA Step up to get the 1070. Or just wait a week or two and get the 1070.

2 minutes ago, McDili said:

Idk how you're getting that pricing info. It's going to go for around $380 ish

Like Poseidon said, get a 970 and use EVGA Step up to get the 1070. Or just wait a week or two and get the 1070.

true, it was the 1080.

1 hour ago, McDili said:

A 1070 will undoubtedly do better than the 970 regardless of the mobo/cpu.  He has a 600W power supply which is more than enough to run a 1070.

pHunter, most people think your CPU is this crazy bottleneck that you have to overclock. Your GPU actually does most of the legwork in most applications and you will get more out of the GPU than anything. Your CPU might bottleneck you in ArmA regardless of what GPU you get (770, 970, 1070 doesn't matter) but it's fine for pretty much every other game and a 1070 will see much better performance than the 970. It is certainly not a waste of money. Do what Poseidon said, get the 970 and step up to 1070

I Didnt mean in the aspect of the cpu. i ment more along the lines of the mobo. my mobo is my bottle neck. thats whats keeping me from running at peak performance. i only said that because if might be the only thing that would give him a issue depending on how old his mobo is. if it is infact to old. he wouldnt get his moneys worth. as silly as it sounds i can not run my gpu at its full potential because of my mobo. thats why i have to dumb it down

the 1070 is a fantastic card. dont get me wrong. i would love to have one or two of them. my only concern would be like i said what mobo is he using and can it support the 1070 to its full potential

2 hours ago, Gidgit said:

well he wouldnt really need a new mobo unless he plans to upgrade his cpu. 400 watts should be enough for a 970. i dont remember. if not. power supplies are cheap enough now that it doesnt matter. i have a corsair mx750 sitting in a box i bought reman for 50 bucks. you can find good deals on them if need be. but with a 400 if thats what he has. that should be plenty to run a stock card on factory settings. if he chooses to oc. he might want something bigger

Some motherboards aren't compatible with certain GPU's, its unlikely to happen. But that doesn't mean it wont. 400 watts isnt the best to have when you're planning on getting a 970. I myself have a 970 4gb, and i have a 750 watt power supply. Having a bigger power supply is best, but there isn't a need to overkill and buy a 1,000 watt power supply. The more watts you have, the more power you pc will put out, making it overall perform better, especially for gaming.

• Carrot Kid
21 minutes ago, Benjamin Remer said:

Some motherboards aren't compatible with certain GPU's, its unlikely to happen. But that doesn't mean it wont. 400 watts isnt the best to have when you're planning on getting a 970. I myself have a 970 4gb, and i have a 750 watt power supply. Having a bigger power supply is best, but there isn't a need to overkill and buy a 1,000 watt power supply. The more watts you have, the more power you pc will put out, making it overall perform better, especially for gaming.

There is a maximum amount of power that your components need to draw as long as you need to draw less than your PSU's capacity, higher wattage isn't going to give more performance. 

Your current GPU, the 560 Ti, has a TDP of about 210W. The 1070 has a TDP of about 170W. As long as you have the right power connectors on your PSU, you should be fine ITO power.

I would get the 1070; its performance is significantly better than the 970. This video has some benchmarks. If you can't wait for it to be available, do what Poseidon said. Considering the price will be roughly the same, there isn't really any reason that I can see to get the 970 instead of the 1070.

1 hour ago, Gidgit said:

I Didnt mean in the aspect of the cpu. i ment more along the lines of the mobo. my mobo is my bottle neck. thats whats keeping me from running at peak performance. i only said that because if might be the only thing that would give him a issue depending on how old his mobo is. if it is infact to old. he wouldnt get his moneys worth. as silly as it sounds i can not run my gpu at its full potential because of my mobo. thats why i have to dumb it down

the 1070 is a fantastic card. dont get me wrong. i would love to have one or two of them. my only concern would be like i said what mobo is he using and can it support the 1070 to its full potential

What is his mobo? I didn't see where he said his mobo was bad or anything. I don't know a whole lot about mobos in general but I had a really cheap mobo that I used with the 980 before I upgraded and it didn't cause my any issues at all. It was like one of the cheapest mobos I could find in that build and it didn't support CPU overclocking. I suppose the age of the mobo could certainly cause an impact but again we don't know what mobo he has.

I don't mean to come off in a bad way I just don't see how he's wasting his money based on the info he gave us.

24 minutes ago, Benjamin Remer said:

He has a 600W power supply which is more than enough. 750W power supply is a waste of money for a 970/1070 unless you wanted to run them in SLI.

25 minutes ago, McDili said:

What is his mobo? I didn't see where he said his mobo was bad or anything. I don't know a whole lot about mobos in general but I had a really cheap mobo that I used with the 980 before I upgraded and it didn't cause my any issues at all. It was like one of the cheapest mobos I could find in that build and it didn't support CPU overclocking. I suppose the age of the mobo could certainly cause an impact but again we don't know what mobo he has.

I don't mean to come off in a bad way I just don't see how he's wasting his money based on the info he gave us.

He has a 600W power supply which is more than enough. 750W power supply is a waste of money for a 970/1070 unless you wanted to run them in SLI.

its not really price on the mobo. im not sure what he has. but the cpu he has is a older cpu. so i am assuming the mobo is a older mobo also. like i said. my mobo is my bottle neck. it can not handle what my card can do.

The only reason why i said he would be wasting money with the 1070 is because if he does have a older mobo. it will bottle neck the card preventing the card from preforming the way it was designed. He would not be getting his moneys worth. Which is why for his current build he has now i think the 970 is a better route until he decides to do a mobo and cpu upgrade. 

i only mentioned the 750 because i found a hell of a good deal on it. 50 bucks for a 750m. you cant beat that. i mean it is a reman. but it has a lifetime warrenty on it

4 minutes ago, Gidgit said:

its not really price on the mobo. im not sure what he has. but the cpu he has is a older cpu. so i am assuming the mobo is a older mobo also. like i said. my mobo is my bottle neck. it can not handle what my card can do.

The only reason why i said he would be wasting money with the 1070 is because if he does have a older mobo. it will bottle neck the card preventing the card from preforming the way it was designed. He would not be getting his moneys worth. Which is why for his current build he has now i think the 970 is a better route until he decides to do a mobo and cpu upgrade. 

i only mentioned the 750 because i found a hell of a good deal on it. 50 bucks for a 750m. you cant beat that. i mean it is a reman. but it has a lifetime warrenty on it

I didn't know you mentioned a 750W, I was replying to Benjamin Remer's comment about his power supply. By all means he should get a 970 now regardless we agree on that. But there's no reason not to use EVGA step up when the 1070 comes out this month.

38 minutes ago, McDili said:

I didn't know you mentioned a 750W, I was replying to Benjamin Remer's comment about his power supply. By all means he should get a 970 now regardless we agree on that. But there's no reason not to use EVGA step up when the 1070 comes out this month.

I do agree