SLI or just wait to upgrade?

• Admin

What do you guys think? I am currently running a 980 GTX. I just saw a bid on eBay for a 980GTX that sold for $230!. According to my research (which may be wrong) two if these guys can almost compare to a 1080!. 

So question is.. should I just spend $230-250 on a used 980 GTX to run SLI to get better 2K frames or should I just wait until upgrade my computer maybe half a year from now? We will start with @McDili, the UBER nerd :P. And everyone else please chip is as well ;). I'm not cheap, I just really don't game on my PC a lot aside from ARMA 3. 

• Like 1

Getting a second 980 is very cost effective to get SLI GPUs capable of something comparable to a 1080, however there are some personal preference things with going SLI. The most notable thing for me is that many games do not optimize for SLI and will under-utilize the second GPU. In addition to that, SLI can cause stuttering with certain games. 

In terms of ArmA, you will see marginal differences, or you may not see any change.

I personally would never go with an SLI option myself, but if you're on a budget and need something cost effective, spending 230 for that extra jump isn't a bad deal.

• Admin
1 minute ago, McDili said:

Getting a second 980 is very cost effective to get SLI GPUs capable of something comparable to a 1080, however there are some personal preference things with going SLI. The most notable thing for me is that many games do not optimize for SLI and will under-utilize the second GPU. In addition to that, SLI can cause stuttering with certain games. 

In terms of ArmA, you will see marginal differences, or you may not see any change.

I personally would never go with an SLI option myself, but if you're on a budget and need something cost effective, spending 230 for that extra jump isn't a bad deal.

Thank you so much for the answer, Señor! 

• Like 1

If your getting the same performance for a lot cheaper I would buy it now... plus you have the fact that you have TWO graphics cards so if one fails you have another... if you only use the 1080 it could fail then RIP graphics

• Like 1
  • Admin

Thanks guys. There is another one that is ending tomorrow for about the same price so I will try and snatch it. Does it matter what version of the 980 it is? I'm trying to get the same one I have now the Evga 980 gtx ftw.

• Like 1

Kind of late to the party but from my experience a single faster card is always better than two slower cards.  @McDili is right about the benefits you will see and the chances of not seeing any at all( other than a higher electric bill.)

I would stick with one card, save money and upgrade when Volta comes out for Nvidia or if Vega from AMD is way better than what we expected go with that.

Also, what resolution do you play at?

• Like 1
  • Admin
24 minutes ago, ThatNerdyGuy said:

Kind of late to the party but from my experience a single faster card is always better than two slower cards.  @McDili is right about the benefits you will see and the chances of not seeing any at all( other than a higher electric bill.)

I would stick with one card, save money and upgrade when Volta comes out for Nvidia or if Vega from AMD is way better than what we expected go with that.

Also, what resolution do you play at?

Currently playing at 2K 

• Admin

I was able to snag the  EVGA 980 GTX FTW edition (which is the one I currently have) for $260.00. If I can double my performance in most video games, I'm golden.