Olympus+ Update - Olympus Entertainment | Giveaway + 4th of July Sale ×

What warrants Life or Death to VDM?

I was doing some drug runs and a rival gang initiated with me whilst following me in a heli, all is good right?

Nope, a cop heli pulls up to the side of the road with around 3 or 4 people in it, and I like anyone would do in a life or death situation would do...

I rammed the heli killing all of the cops.

Got a 3 day ban.

In what situation does VDM rules apply?

Basically, in general VDM is on a case to case basis, you have situations where its clear that its not the drivers fault but the person reporting (receiver of the vdm's fault). It depends on the situation, if the person was right in front of you and there is nothing you can do to not run them over you wont get banned, but if you have plenty of time to turn away / avoid crashing / avoid ramming you will be punished (in most cases) Considering you said yourself you rammed a helicopter in this situation it would appear that it was your fault as you aren't really supposed to ever ram a vehicle to prevent your own death, as far as im aware its only ok to "ram" people that are right infront of you with it being their own fault you ran them over. Considering you said they pulled up to the side of the road, aka out of your way and not in front of you i can understand why you received a ban for this. You purposely rammed into them and henceforth made it your own fault. If they landed right in front of you giving you little to no time to react it would be ok as its 100% their own fault, but as you had time to reach and purposely rammed them its not ok, at least in this situation. But as said, its handled on a case to case basis. I dont know 100% of the facts so this is purely 100% my opinion.

• Like 1

If people die from you hitting a vehicle or the vehicle blows up then it crosses the line into rule breaking. 

If the individuals are firing, directly in front of you so you don't have to turn into them, you're good to plough through them. The heli blocking your path changes things significantly. A video would be cool to see, but provided it landed in front of you and you couldn't possibly stop in time then it's their fault. However if you have more than enough time to turn then yeah, its your fault.

Just now, Jagen Heie [88] said:

in any situation where you blow up the other vehicle it becomes vdm

That's not entirely true, sometimes things happen and vehicles blow up for no good reason at all. Arma 3 has physics that defy reason sometimes :/

Chapter 2: No Vehicular Manslaughter [VDM]

Hide contents

1. Do not use vehicles to run over player unless it is an absolute last resort (Life or Death)
  2. Players can not kill another player that has been downed by a vehicle.
  3. Do not ram other vehicles for no reason.
  4. If your intention is to collide with another vehicle for whatever reason (To pit, disable, immobilize, troll, etc.) that's fine. However, if you collide with a vehicle on purpose and because of the collision there is an explosion/death, then you may be found accountable and may be banned. You initiate these maneuvers at your own risk.
  5. Do not use a helicopter to ram another helicopter, ground unit or vehicle.
  6. Rotor tapping vehicles is something you do at your peril. If the victim of a rotor tap explodes, you may be subject to a ban for VDM. If they don't explode, good job. You did it right.
3 minutes ago, SPBojo said:

Basically, in general VDM is on a case to case basis, you have situations where its clear that its not the drivers fault but the person reporting (receiver of the vdm's fault). It depends on the situation, if the person was right in front of you and there is nothing you can do to not run them over you wont get banned, but if you have plenty of time to turn away / avoid crashing / avoid ramming you will be punished (in most cases) Considering you said yourself you rammed a helicopter in this situation it would appear that it was your fault as you aren't really supposed to ever ram a vehicle to prevent your own death, as far as im aware its only ok to "ram" people that are right infront of you with it being their own fault you ran them over. Considering you said they pulled up to the side of the road, aka out of your way and not in front of you i can understand why you received a ban for this. You purposely rammed into them and henceforth made it your own fault. If they landed right in front of you giving you little to no time to react it would be ok as its 100% their own fault, but as you had time to reach and purposely rammed them its not ok, at least in this situation. But as said, its handled on a case to case basis. I dont know 100% of the facts so this is purely 100% my opinion.

Thanks, that's very insightful.

Video used as evidence for my ban.

I am more than likely in the wrong here, but at the time I was unaware of the servers stance on VDM.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jagen Heie [88] said:

see rule 4 for what i was referring to

Yeah still plenty of caveats to that entire section you linked, not just rule 4. All we're doing is posting conjecture anyway, that video would help us a lot.

15 minutes ago, WR | Leviathan said:

Nope, a cop heli pulls up to the side of the road with around 3 or 4 people in it, and I like anyone would do in a life or death situation would do...

I rammed the heli killing all of the cops.

Lmao dude the average Olympus life player would not do that

1 minute ago, iamvaltrix said:

Lmao dude the average Olympus life player would not do that

Glad to hear I am special.

2 minutes ago, Mr Majestic said:

Hahahaha, okay yeah, that's VDM. Plenty of time to avoid and they're not even shooting at you yet.

Do the lights on the Heli not count as initiation?

2 minutes ago, Jagen Heie [88] said:

heres a good one is it vdm or not vdm

Yeah I'd probably call that VDM. Looks like the Ifrit doesn't attempt to slow down and maybe even turns a little extra into the SUV. But with that said, this is Arma 3 and from the Ifrits perspective he could have been 5 yards to the left and maybe even completely missed the SUV, so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, WR | Leviathan said:

Glad to hear I am special.

Do the lights on the Heli not count as initiation?

Just lights? No. Lights and Sirens however most definitely do.

4 minutes ago, (dxr) macjosh02 said:

bet homie you  running with two big ass cars and out numbered  you clearly gonna try to take them out your just a salty cop

lmao bro i play way more civ than i do cop, im just saying the average player would not ran there tempist into a cop heli because then they would have to pay fatty comp. What he did was clearly VDM.

Edited by iamvaltrix