Questions about the Army

Donald.

Hi, So i am 16 and wanting to join the army in a few years and I was wondering if there are any ex military members or people that are knowledgeable about things in the army that could help me know more about what i am going to be doing and what i am expected to do and what i am truly getting into. Mostly I wanted to know if you can do college easily whilst balancing army duties. Thanks!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Donald H. said:

Hi, So i am 16 and wanting to join the army in a few years and I was wondering if there are any ex military members or people that are knowledgeable about things in the army that could help me know more about what i am going to be doing and what i am expected to do and what i am truly getting into. Mostly I wanted to know if you can do college easily whilst balancing army duties. Thanks!!

Go on reddit. Lots of info on there. I've got friends in who love it. I've got friends in who hate it. The guys who hate it are/were in line units. The guys who love it are/were in SOC units.

2 hours ago, Donald H. said:

You could 100% balance college while in the army depending on your MOS

Your experience will vary depending on the job that you sign up for, where you're stationed, if we're at war, and on many other things. 

If you want to be able to do any job to keep your options open make sure that you study in all of your classes, but especially math and english, so that you do well on your ASVAB.

Edited by Creighton

Reg force you're looking at 7-330 ish timings. I'd imagine it wouldn't be the best for college classes. You could always go reserve, part time you'll only be working thursdays, and a weekend every second week.

Reg force you can be posted anywheres, chances are you will not stay at your place of entry. 

Reserves you will work at the nearest reserve unit.

Most army trades will be eating up the same amount of time. Different trades will lead to different lengths of time for training. Anything army you'll be required to do a lot of the same basic courses like your BMQ & SQ.

If your highschool courses were up to par, you could always enroll to become an officer, be paid to go to university & choose a few of the courses in which you actually take. You go in normal clothing and are just another normal civilian in uni, but are paid to be there.

If going reserves for a part time job, imo either infantry or vehicle tech. Infantry will get you in shape, veh tech will increase tool knowledge.

Reg force? Do yourself a favor & go airforce in a spec pay trade. After 5 years in an airforce spec pay trade I am making as much money as a sergeant in the army who had been in 20 years. Give that some thought.

EDIT: Did not see your age. Read about the reserves, be smart and apply NOW, after two years you'll receive your corporals. Then apply for reg force, your corporals will transfer over and you'll be laughing as you're starting off at like 15k more a year than the other 18-19 year-old's applying.

Cheers.

Edited by Badger!
15 minutes ago, Badger! said:

Reg force you're looking at 7-330 ish timings. I'd imagine it wouldn't be the best for college classes. You could always go reserve, part time you'll only be working thursdays, and a weekend every second week.

Reg force you can be posted anywheres, chances are you will not stay at your place of entry. 

Reserves you will work at the nearest reserve unit.

Most army trades will be eating up the same amount of time. Different trades will lead to different lengths of time for training. Anything army you'll be required to do a lot of the same basic courses like your BMQ & SQ.

If your highschool courses were up to par, you could always enroll to become an officer, be paid to go to university & choose a few of the courses in which you actually take. You go in normal clothing and are just another normal civilian in uni, but are paid to be there.

If going reserves for a part time job, imo either infantry or vehicle tech. Infantry will get you in shape, veh tech will increase tool knowledge.

Reg force? Do yourself a favor & go airforce in a spec pay trade. After 5 years in an airforce spec pay trade I am making as much money as a sergeant in the army who had been in 20 years. Give that some thought.

EDIT: Did not see your age. Read about the reserves, be smart and apply NOW, after two years you'll receive your corporals. Then apply for reg force, your corporals will transfer over and you'll be laughing as you're starting off at like 15k more a year than the other 18-19 year-old's applying.

Cheers.

Thanks so much for the insight.

• Like 2

Step 1: Leave Canada, eh?

Step 2: Join Marine Corps.

Step 3: Become alcoholic, nicotine addicted, energy drink slamming crayon eater.

Step 4: Realize you are only 16 and dont need to figure this shit out yet.

I am not very active atm due to my current posting and courses, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

7 Year Master Corporal, Vehicle Tech (Mechanic)

Fyi. If you want an exit strategy don't go Artillery, Infantry or combat engineer.

Dont listen to the boots and dodgers about American army being any better/different. We are all NATO and wherever NATO goes so does Canada, Germany, America, Australia, UK Etc.

But Canadian Military does treat you very well if you put any real effort into it, There are a few people here I know of Currently serving or retired, I won't out them but I am sure they can back me up saying it is not a bad idea to join the Army young, Get a good salary and a pension.

Edited by JamalJones
  • Like 1