R9 290x vs GTX 970

16 members have voted

1. 1. 290x or 970

• R9 290x
    • GTX 970
    • Other

So....I know I made a status update on this, but wanted to let other people comment and vote. I am torn between the 290x and the 970 at the moment. Both are great cards, but I am on the fence on which one would suit me best. Below are my pc specs, along with my pros/cons for each card. What is your opinion. Don't really want to spend more than $370. BTW my r9 270 can get anywhere from 60-90fps on arma 3 and gta v (PC).

My rig:

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Processor: I5-4690K (OC to 3.9ghz)
Graphics Card: Sapphire R9 270 2GB (OC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz 
Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Backup Hard Drive: 500gb HDD + 2tb HDD + 2X 500gb raided
Monitors: 3X ViewSonic 22inch LED

970:

seems to outperform the 290x by an average of 10fps

less power hungry

Really only a 3.5gb card, instead of a 4gb. I have read when you go over 3.5vram that the card itself slows down and starts having problems - Big issue for me

290x:

true 4gb vram

only a average of 10fps less

more power hungry

Keep in mind I will only be playing at 1080p

I had my mind set on the 970, but have read so many negative reviews about the 3.5gb vram and the card becoming slower if going over that. With the 290x you have all of the 4gb vram to use.

My main games I will be using this for is Arma 3, and GTA V. Yes I have dayz, h1z1, Counter strike, etc, but will mainly be upgrading due to arma 3 and gtav .

Just now reading this, after I went ahead and ordered the 970 with overnight shipping, lol. I know about the new series coming out this fall, but didn't eat to wait that long.

Installing my 16gb ram and 970 friday. Wife, and son will be out of town all weekend so I'll definitely be breaking the new equipment in. Thanks for everyone's response.

I would wait on getting a new card, amd is going to release the 390x etc, in the next couple months, which will lower the prices of the cards that are already out. Also keep in mind that when windows 10/ directX 12 (mantle spinoff) comes out amd cards will get a huge boost. Although arma 3 isnt directX 12. Long story short just wait, you wont regret it.

send me your 270x so i can run them in dual gpu config

How much for the 270x? Id love to crossfire it. Unless DJ has dibs.

It's the R9 270, not the 270x.

I would wait on getting a new card, amd is going to release the 390x etc, in the next couple months, which will lower the prices of the cards that are already out. Also keep in mind that when windows 10/ directX 12 (mantle spinoff) comes out amd cards will get a huge boost. Although arma 3 isnt directX 12. Long story short just wait, you wont regret it.

Was going to tell you to wait on Steam but you already got it. Honestly if you are playing Arma/GTA on High and getting 60-90 why even waste the money on a GPU?

I really thought about waiting but I'm just an impatient guy. I didn't even need to purchase this, I just start wanting things when I start looking at them. Thanks for the advice, but I'll probably keep this card a year and then sell it. With my current build and this new gpu, I should be able to still run any game out in 1 years time so it will be fine for me.