Capped at 4gb of ram

For some reason my game is capped at 4gb of ram I regularly see usage of 2-3gb. I'm running the x64 version and have changed the maxMem value in the steam launch options however it still won't use my ram (I have 32gb). Is this a game bug or can it be fixed? Also please bring back the performance branch i'm fighting for my life to run s1.

• Community Manager

Mine maxes at 7GB of my 48GB available, I've tried tinkering in the same way as you however that param literally didn't work for me lol.

If anyone could find a solution to this I'd be willing to give them an in-game cash/WP reward.

1 minute ago, Mako said:

Mine maxes at 7GB of my 48GB available, I've tried tinkering in the same way as you however that param literally didn't work for me lol.

If anyone could find a solution to this I'd be willing to give them an in-game cash/WP reward.

I did some searches digging into it and all I could find is stuff that predates the 64 bit version, talking about how it was stuck at 4gb until t he 64 bit version came out.  I'm at a loss. 

5 minutes ago, Mako said:

Try it in the steam launch options it seems to have worked somewhat for me as im at 5gb rn I copy pasted a quote from https://strayagaming.com/topic/9819-cpu-and-memory-optimisation-for-arma-3/

"1024 MiB is a hard-coded minimum (anything lower falls back to 1024). The maximum is influenced by your operating system (any value over the maximum will be reverted to this value):

32-bit Windows + 32-bit game: 2047

64-bit Windows + 32-bit game: 3071

Once 64bit Arma is released:

64-bit Windows + 64-bit game: (physical memory*4)/5" I set my max mem to this value and it seems to help, but it doesn't use nearly enough of my ram

Edited by Frato
3 minutes ago, Mako said:

While there may not be a definitive solution mentioned in the provided conversation, there are a few general troubleshooting steps you can take to address issues with Arma 3 being capped at 4GB of RAM:

1. Check Game Settings: Ensure that you've adjusted the correct settings within the game. This includes the "maxMem" value in the Steam launch options, as well as any in-game settings related to memory usage.

2. Verify Game Files: Use Steam's built-in feature to verify the integrity of the game files. Right-click on Arma 3 in your Steam library, go to Properties > Local Files, and click "Verify Integrity of Game Files." This ensures that your game files are not corrupted.

3. Update Graphics Drivers: Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause performance issues.

4. Review Mods/Add-ons: If you are using any mods or add-ons, they might be contributing to the issue. Try disabling them one by one to see if the problem persists.

5. Reinstall the Game: If none of the above steps work, consider uninstalling and reinstalling Arma 3. This can sometimes resolve issues related to game files and configurations.

6. Check for Game Updates: Ensure that you have the latest updates for Arma 3 installed. Developers frequently release patches and updates that may address performance issues.

7. Contact Official Support: If the problem persists, consider reaching out to the official support channels for Arma 3. They may be able to provide specific guidance or solutions tailored to your issue.