Olympus Entertainment | Giveaway + 4th of July Sale | PRICE MATCH UPDATED! ×

Rust players/tech savvy people come

Hello guys! I am coming to the forums to (hopefully) find a fix/advice for a problem I have with playing Rust, When I play either at certain times or when I do certain actions in the game, such as opening something or shooting someone, my game will freeze for a few seconds. This only happens on Rust and nothing else. I found a clip on the internet which basically shows what I'm talking about for a visual, skip to about 7 seconds. Mine is the same thing except it lasts for a second or two longer. If anyone that plays rust and knows how to fix, or any tech savvy people have any suggestions for solutions, please leave them below as I am pretty desperate since the game is unplayable. 

I have already tried verifying game files and updating my nvidia driver.

Thank you!!!

You’ve installed the game on SSD right? Honestly Rust is pretty terrible for stutters, with only 16GB of ram if you’re doing anything in the background like Spotify or Chrome you’re already close to maxing out. 

try the garbage collection command in the console too, it might free up some memory 

Also make sure the page file isn’t set to what I assune is a slow ass 7200rpm hard drive. 

This is a very common rust issue that has been around for a long time. Mine stopped when I upgraded to 64GB RAM I7 14700k and 3080ti with m.2 SSD.

Lots of threads show it is garbage collection that does it, and there is keybinds out there to dump it before you get into these situations. 

https://rust.nolt.io/27524

rust is typically pretty bad abt freezing no matter the pc, used to happen to me a lot when i was scoped with a bolt or l96... my fix was verifying and reinstalling when it would happen a bunch. hasnt happened recently to me but i also dont play much anymore... but rust is terribly optimized due to it being made in unity.

also might want more ram, i recommend 32 gb at least for rust

3 hours ago, Benne said:

rust is typically pretty bad abt freezing no matter the pc, used to happen to me a lot when i was scoped with a bolt or l96... my fix was verifying and reinstalling when it would happen a bunch. hasnt happened recently to me but i also dont play much anymore... but rust is terribly optimized due to it being made in unity.

also might want more ram, i recommend 32 gb at least for rust

Honestly, 16gb was more than enough for me to run the game really quite well. Put it on an SSD for a night and day performance boost. I also played stretched res which I believe helps fps, and made the game better IMO. I used to get 120-140 fps on a ryzen 5 5600x, rx570 and 16gb ram

25 minutes ago, CaloomClark said:

Honestly, 16gb was more than enough for me to run the game really quite well. Put it on an SSD for a night and day performance boost. I also played stretched res which I believe helps fps, and made the game better IMO. I used to get 120-140 fps on a ryzen 5 5600x, rx570 and 16gb ram

hmm idk, i used to use 16 but when i upgraded a few years ago it ran smoother but could just be a me thing idk xo...

5 hours ago, Benne said:

hmm idk, i used to use 16 but when i upgraded a few years ago it ran smoother but could just be a me thing idk xo...

32gb Ram is definitely the new 16, especially if it's DDR4.

• +1 1

Had this issue with arma, siege and helldivers now. For arma I fixed it with a m.2 ssd, for siege I fixed it by updating to windows 11 and I still haven't fixed it for helldivers (pretty sure it's just the dogshit engine). This issue can happen for thousands of different reasons from a driver on a input device fucking up all the way to thermal throttling. 

Try these steps

-Run the game on an m.2 ssd

-Run the game as admin

-Change your power plan to high performance or ultimate performance

-Change your launch options to these: -system.cpu_priority high -high -gc.buffer 4096 -headlerp_inertia 1000 -graphics.branding 0 -effects.maxgibs -1 -window-mode exclusive -rate 144 -client.headlerp 10 -player.eye_blinking false -player.eye_movement false

-Right click on the game > Properties  > Controller > Disable steam input

-Cap your fps to 60 (uncap if it still happens)

-Make sure your page file is on an ssd

-Make sure it's not a temperature issue

-Update windows and if all else fails update to windows 11

• Like 2

Try making sure you have a lot of free space on your ssd drive, and then increasing your virtual memory to double.

Virtual memory takes over where ram leaves off.

When the game is running at the highest capacity, like go near a huge city or something that kills your frames, and then control+alt+delete for your task manager, look at your system resource monitor, and see whats getting close to 100%, and that will be your bottleneck.

Also wouldn't hurt to run a CPU/GPU benchmarking software.  It will push both to their limits and tell you what's holding you back in every regard as well.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, cornet said:

if you didn't ban the entire population for bullshit, those donos would get you a better pc. my rust runs at 150 fps no stutters :pp 

wrong ares…

• Skull 1