Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Need Advice on components to buy so i can better play Arma, I currently have Q6600 2.4 / XFX 780i / 4gb ddr2 800 (OCZ) / EVGA 750TI.. 

I am on a budget, not sure price point yet, negotiable..  Looking for CPU / Motherboard / Memory     

What should i look for..   Remember best bang for buck, And upgradeable in the future,    BUUUT...  I wanna play Arma smoothly, not the crap 10-15fps maybe 20 on a good low pop day..                                                                                             

Thanks in advance for any insight.

The first thing would need to be the budget. From that point everything else could be decided. Def hard to give options if ya don't know how much you can spend as there are so many different hardware parts out there.

• Like 2

Could always look into AMD instead of Intel. Am in the process of upgrading my rig to house a AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz ($180), motherboard for it will range about $120-$170. Also, Newegg is your friend.

• Like 1

Your cards fine. 

You def need a CPU, an i5 minimum. The AMD cpus are fine but they mainly just tout more cores. When i was researching I looked at the cpu and the cpu above John's suggestion and found that for ARMA, an i5 would perform at a higher level for the game because BI + threading = not good.

That being said, your ram is a major bottleneck. you need to get some DDR3 1600+speed minimum, 4GB is fine but 8 is better. Any brand will do, but I like Corsair. It's also rather cheap if you go for ~1600speed, but if you bump up to 1800+ it can get pricey. 

MoBos are easy, just pick one that goes with your CPU and is of a reputable name with a good number of upgrade sockets. Make sure your case is properly ventalated because temp is important especially with an AMD cpu if thats what you elect to buy. 

If there is a microcenter in your area they have MoBoprocessor bundles at a price that no place will beat, including newegg or amazon. Look into them.

• Like 2

Anyway way you go your going to end up paying over 200 for intel and over 100 for amd but intel has far better performance than amd.My best advice would be get something on black friday and new egg has tons of deals but if you have never built a comp then ill tell ya now there is more to it than what the fine print says on the products.With todays games and how they are progressing and more labor intensive on your computer then its best to get the bang for your buck.With the card you have and the money available to buy a processor,memory,and a cpu the 3.4ghz black edition amd processors are a great deal and seem to be a great idea and if that route is the way you will go for just buy a quad or six core.Also remember the memory is very vital when buying a mobo because if your to go with amd there is no reason to overclock because these cpu get hot so find a board that will run the memory at least i say at least over 1333 mhz no lower for arma 3.Same with a intel board which most of the boards that run ddr3 memory run at that mhz so no worries.The big thing is though if you ask anyone which to pick either intel or amd they will all say intel intel intel intel.... If i was you i would drop the money in the new gen i5 to save a bit of money if your just going to use the rig for gaming but get the quad core which should be just under 200 bucks without tax around black friday and also get 8gb no less since the newer games are requiring this much now adays.Never go cheap on a board but go for the warranty and pay a little bit extra.Also no matter what you do get a liquid cooler (such as this one)( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195&cm_re=liquid_cooler-_-35-103-195-_-Product)and make sure there are enough fans blowing in and out of the computer case because its so easy to spend the life on the cpu and if you keep it cool enough this will last you for over 10 years unles something happens which hopefully you bought with warranty.Then after you have spent your money to play the game the card is good enough for the video aspect but if you want to upgrade the card later on then the beef is already there.

My build is:

1st gen i5 clarksdale 3.2 ghz 655k 

MSI h55m-E21 Socket 1156 (found this for $50 refurbished since my evga p55 micro is no longer in service but great intel mobos)

Corsair 8gb running at 1333 

Nvidia GeForce 570gtx (fermi)

Im able to run the game with all high settings and even the anti alliasing and all in the morning from 30-40 fps easy but during the nights when most are on im running from 17-25 fps no matter if my settings are on high or not but my internet is so slow ive got at&t and have 6mb down and 600kb upload and this is very slow but the computer runs the game great.The only thing i do not like is im not able to run battlefield 4 on high but his is the first gen i5 and there is a big difference between the 1st and 2nd so your going to do better than this other than my card is blowing smoke down 4 lanes instead of 2 with a 384 bit card kind of like a quad core which will help if you are wanting to run labor intensive physx games but not needed because with the money in hand go with getting this game playable and fun and not waste money so what you put in it is what you will get out of it and the price shows what you are paying for most of the time.

• Like 1
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nfXRCJ

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($59.90 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $414.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 21:33 EST-0500

I wouldnt recommend anything lower than this for arma, amd dosent do great for arma

EDIT: That cpu cooler you dont need i just put it there cuz