Server Build Recommendations?

• Carrot Kid
22 hours ago, Noahhh! said:

Is it recommended 1 core per person? I can't imagine Olympus having 220 cores worth of processors backing the server. Seems overkill to me. Maybe I'm just plain wrong.

No.. Not at all.

21 hours ago, T5 Vigi said:

i mean the donation goal is around 2,000 dollaris i think

$800-850 IIRC

50 minutes ago, T5 Vigi said:

@Zahzi What's the server specs?

We just have a few OVH dedis; s1/s2 both have a 7700k/32 GB RAM/SSD from their older "GAME" lineup- looks like they just recently replaced those with Ryzen CPUs.

21 hours ago, T5 Vigi said:

i mean that's for 200+ people if i wear you i would just get a server provider

22 hours ago, Noahhh! said:

I'm thinking about putting a little "server box" together. I just want it to be able to host online sessions of about any game, including Arma 3. Let me know what you think about the setup idea, and whether or not you see any compatibility issues or possible downfalls.

@Noahhh! TBH either way, you're probably better off just using some cloud provider. For small servers, the majority of games aren't going to require anywhere close to what you've listed as hardware. If you just want a small server, you can pretty easily and cheaply grab a small VPS from OVH, Digital Ocean, Vultr, etc (things get a little bit more complex if you require windows server, but you can still do it far cheaper than building and maintaining your own hardware)- I might be able to help hook you up with something if you send me a PM.

Another factor that you're ignoring entirely is the internet connection and uptime requirements of the server. I'm not sure what the quality of your connection is, but in most cases a datacenter will offer better bandwidth and latency and also provide guarantees of uptime (and sometimes refund you some amount when they fail). If this is in your house, it's far more likely that your internet will be not great or that your power is more likely to fail. If you just want to run a small server for some friends occasionally, this is fine, but anything past that, it's less than ideal. Also consider that if it's on your network and somebody decides to boot it off, you're pretty much fucked. OVH, for example, won't flinch.

If you need more than a VPS and/or want raw hardware, you'll want to find a dedi. OVH is what we use, but might be too much for what you need. Checkout lower end providers like kimsufi. You can sometimes find good deals here.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 months later...

@Noahhh! Im certified by Microsoft in Azure cloud administration and security 🙂 You can set up a server like you said for a few hundred a month, and you also get the first month free for 200 dollars so you can test to find exactly what you want. I can show you around it later if youre on.

• Like 1

@Iceman Sounds good boss.

@Zahzi Holy shit, I never saw this reply for some reason. I'm gonna read it now, I appreciate it a lot!

Added: Yeah, I was judt thinking about making a little public CQC and A&D server for Asylum and Olympus players and such. I don't even have the money anymore though.