Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Server Build Recommendations?

I'm thinking about putting a little "server box" together. I just want it to be able to host online sessions of about any game, including Arma 3. Let me know what you think about the setup idea, and whether or not you see any compatibility issues or possible downfalls.

59531bbb62d34a7dbbf0cfccd1b6e287.png

I was thinking about a 2070s SC, but I heard that GPUs weren't important for server builds, is that true?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Noahhh! said:

I'm thinking about putting a little "server box" together. I just want it to be able to host online sessions of about any game, including Arma 3. Let me know what you think about the setup idea, and whether or not you see any compatibility issues or possible downfalls.

59531bbb62d34a7dbbf0cfccd1b6e287.png

I was thinking about a 2070s SC, but I heard that GPUs weren't important for server builds, is that true?

I don't know about the GPU but get a 3950X it has 16 cores 32 threads it might help you some with running the server 

I guess I mainly want to know if the CPU is good. I'm not willing to get some fucking $1000 Intel Xeon. I've heard the Ryzens do work.

Just now, T5 Vigi said:

I don't know about the GPU but get a 3950X it has 16 cores 32 threads it might help you some with running the server 

Lemme give that a looky, one second.

@T5 Vigi Well, the 3950x is almost twice the price. It has a lower clock speed too. Is clock speed as important in a CPU for servers as it is for a CPU for gaming?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

I guess I mainly want to know if the CPU is good. I'm not willing to get some fucking $1000 Intel Xeon. I've heard the Ryzens do work.

@T5 Vigi Well, the 3950x is almost twice the price. It has a lower clock speed too. Is clock speed as important in a CPU for servers as it is for a CPU for gaming?

it has better silicon so you can overclock is more easily and when it has a decent cooler like a AIO it boosts to like 4.2 GHZ i think

6 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

i would recommend that you do some research if you need a 3950x also you need to figure out how big of a server you need to run

1 minute ago, T5 Vigi said:

it has better silicon so you can overclock is more easily and when it has a decent cooler like a AIO it boosts to like 4.2 GHZ i think

Fair enough. I just wonder if the price difference is worth it. I mean, there's no arguing it's gonna be better, but I just wonder if the price to performance ratio is really as good as the one I have picked out.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

for the most part, you don't need a GPU. games without dedicated server hosting options such as early DCS world require you to host the server in order for others to play, and that requires a GPU so it can render the game. most games now dont render the game if you plan on hosting it from a dedicated machine, therefore using a gpu is unnecessary 

• Like 1
Just now, Noahhh! said:

Fair enough. I just wonder if the price difference is worth it. I mean, there's no arguing it's gonna be better, but I just wonder if the price to performance ratio is really as good as the one I have picked out.

how many people you gonna plan on hosting the server for?

1 minute ago, citglo said:

for the most part, you don't need a GPU. games without dedicated server hosting options such as early DCS world require you to host the server in order for others to play, and that requires a GPU so it can render the game. most games now dont render the game, therefore using a gpu is unnecessary 

Ahhhh, that makes a little more sense. So, it really just depends on the game, correct?

how many people you gonna plan on hosting the server for?

I would imagine anywhere from 10 to 50 if it was on Arma 3. Nothing too crazy.

Edited by Noahhh!
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Noahhh! said:

Ahhhh, that makes a little more sense. So, it really just depends on the game, correct?

I would imagine anywhere from 10 to 50 if it was on Arma 3. Nothing too crazy.

let's go with a middle of the road case lets say 16 people on at one time thats 1 core or 2 threads dedicated to them

2 minutes ago, T5 Vigi said:

let's go with a middle of the road case lets say 16 people on at one time thats 1 core or 2 threads dedicated to them

Is it recommended 1 core per person? I can't imagine Olympus having 220 cores worth of processors backing the server. Seems overkill to me. Maybe I'm just plain wrong.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

Is it recommended 1 core per person? I can't imagine Olympus having 220 cores worth of processors backing the server. Seems overkill to me. Maybe I'm just plain wrong.

i don't know what stuff they have to run the server my guess is they might have something like that

• Hmm 1
2 minutes ago, T5 Vigi said:

i mean the donation goal is around 2,000 dollaris i think

Well, I guess that might explain it. I'll throw this project idea away if I have to spend fucking 3k on just processors. Just seems kind of crazy to me. That's a new engine for my POS truck, just on one component.

Edited by Noahhh!
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

Well, I guess that might explain it. I'll throw this project idea away if I have to spend fucking 3k on just processors. Just seems kind of crazy to me. That's a new engine for my POS truck, just on one component.

i mean that's for 200+ people if i wear you i would just get a server provider

i mean that's for 200+ people if i wear you i would just get a server provider

Yeah, I've heard that before. I just don't know if I want to poor money into a server monthly. I won't have anything to show for the money afterwards. At least if I burn money ona server box, I'll have a server box if I stop using it. lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rexo said:

@Noahhh! I can help you with this over discord when I get off work 🙂    ty @buckie for the @

Sounds good. Don't let me take up too much of your time, this is an idea I have, not something I am terribly committed to doing. I'll talk to you soon boss.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, ThatNerdyGuy said:

I see AMD parts and I +1 forum rep.

Hell ye boi. I will be replacing this i5 with a 3600x here soon. I finally realized that the Intel fanboy train is lame.

• Like 2