state of oly design

Are the designers really content with making all the skins and bullshit that gets added, just for it to only be used by the small % of players that pay for oly+? Not only does that seem like a waste of time and effort, it seems greedy. Also, I'm not sure who's idea it is to keep moving skins/clothing that has been free for YEARS to oly+, but that is also cringe. If we are gonna add 10+ skins every patch, why are you gatekeeping 90% of the server from them? The truth is, no matter how many skins or LOADOUT slots you add to oly+, people aren't gonna shell out 15 a month for a semi dead arma 3 roleplay server, lets be real. @ Mako  @ WALT  not sure who makes those calls, or who sets the price for oly plus, but maybe it's time for some actually change and/or community managing. Or just let oly die, either one works.

• Like 6

From what ive been told oly+ is actually quite lucrative for oly. May not seem many people pay for it but quite alot of people do. I remember a convo i had with one of the devs about it being $15 when imo it should be more in the $5-$10 range but theres currently no incentive to drop price when so many people are paying $15. I personally believe there should be tiers from $5 to like $20. I also agree on the locking clothes we already had access too behind oly+. Especially taking donor rewards people paid for years ago to use and completely removing it and putting it behind oly+. I get wanting to incentivise people to buy oly+ but it is a pretty shitty move to remove stuff people already paid for and put it behind another paywall. < this is also the reason ive never given oly anymore money because if i do im not promised to keep the stuff i paid for.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, fat female arma 3 player said:

From what ive been told oly+ is actually quite lucrative for oly. May not seem many people pay for it but quite alot of people do. I remember a convo i had with one of the devs about it being $15 when imo it should be more in the $5-$10 range but theres currently no incentive to drop price when so many people are paying $15. I personally believe there should be tiers from $5 to like $20. I also agree on the locking clothes we already had access too behind oly+. Especially taking donor rewards people paid for years ago to use and completely removing it and putting it behind oly+. I get wanting to incentivise people to buy oly+ but it is a pretty shitty move to remove stuff people already paid for and put it behind another paywall. < this is also the reason ive never given oly anymore money because if i do im not promised to keep the stuff i paid for.

Honestly a good take +1, its really annoying to have all of my frit setups that ive had for years just poof one day.

• Like 1

I personally think almost all of the oly+ stuff should be added to like elite and above. Because I paid 100+ for like maybe what feels like 5 mediocre skins and like 2 really good ones, and thats really only for ifrits and stuff.

• Like 2
  • Community Manager
3 hours ago, Metro Boomin said:

Are the designers really content with making all the skins and bullshit that gets added, just for it to only be used by the small % of players that pay for oly+? Not only does that seem like a waste of time and effort, it seems greedy. Also, I'm not sure who's idea it is to keep moving skins/clothing that has been free for YEARS to oly+, but that is also cringe. If we are gonna add 10+ skins every patch, why are you gatekeeping 90% of the server from them? The truth is, no matter how many skins or LOADOUT slots you add to oly+, people aren't gonna shell out 15 a month for a semi dead arma 3 roleplay server, lets be real. @ Mako  @ WALT  not sure who makes those calls, or who sets the price for oly plus, but maybe it's time for some actually change and/or community managing. Or just let oly die, either one works.

There hasn't been anything locked that was normally accessible if I remember correctly after the large rework that happened in this patch: 

^ The same patch allowed us to create a large plethora of textures that weren't available increasing the Clothing shop's options by a significant portion for every single player, everyone got the benefit of a larger pool of textures. 

Every single non-custom Backpack, Goggles/Facemask, Vest, and almost all default Arma Vehicle skins and Headgear are free too. They don't do this on literally any other server and the revenue lost from it is noticeable however cosmetics add to the player experience and that is a reason we've left so much unlocked that other servers paywall.

I don't think you actually remember how few options the shop used to have lol.

2 hours ago, fat female arma 3 player said:

It is lucrative in the sense of funding the server and all of our other maintained platforms so that we can operate on a daily basis.

I'm not sure what donor rewards you're referencing that have been taken away, if you could provide further insight it's probably just something overlooked considering how massive the rework was, numerous people have requested in tickets when something on the Wiki was incorrect vs. what's in-game and I've fixed it, it's not malicious.

2 hours ago, Metro Boomin said:

Honestly a good take +1, its really annoying to have all of my frit setups that ive had for years just poof one day.

If you're referring to some textures that have been removed then the Designers will be working on new stuff, over time we've optimized the mission to pack more in with less space and some vehicles were... less fortunately made. There will be more additions for Donation tiers as time goes on however I cannot provide an estimate as the Design team is quite overworked as is.

• Like 4
  • STFU 1
12 minutes ago, Mako said:

There hasn't been anything locked that was normally accessible if I remember correctly after the large rework that happened in this patch: 

Marshall hat was removed from $15 donor and is still too this day locked behind oly+. Add this back and you will have my full respect on oly+ but im still not shilling out to jewyan and jewako. Also when i said lucrative i meant it how u explained it that oly+ is enough to maintain, lucrative was probably the wrong word.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mako said:

^ The same patch allowed us to create a large plethora of textures that weren't available increasing the Clothing shop's options by a significant portion for every single player, everyone got the benefit of a larger pool of textures. 

Every single non-custom Backpack, Goggles/Facemask, Vest, and almost all default Arma Vehicle skins and Headgear are free too. They don't do this on literally any other server and the revenue lost from it is noticeable however cosmetics add to the player experience and that is a reason we've left so much unlocked that other servers paywall.

I don't think you actually remember how few options the shop used to have lol.

It is lucrative in the sense of funding the server and all of our other maintained platforms so that we can operate on a daily basis.

I'm not sure what donor rewards you're referencing that have been taken away, if you could provide further insight it's probably just something overlooked considering how massive the rework was, numerous people have requested in tickets when something on the Wiki was incorrect vs. what's in-game and I've fixed it, it's not malicious.

If you're referring to some textures that have been removed then the Designers will be working on new stuff, over time we've optimized the mission to pack more in with less space and some vehicles were... less fortunately made. There will be more additions for Donation tiers as time goes on however I cannot provide an estimate as the Design team is quite overworked as is.

Colored csats(had for literal years), colored tracksuits, several items of clothing/hats (the one i remember being annoyed at was called "dad swag" or something goofy). Also just because other servers do things, doesn't mean it's the right choice. Iirc correctly lots of servers allow something very no no, that i cant even talk about lmao. Overall, in my opinion, oly+ is fine, not for me, not for most players. But the one time donations get 0 love, or work, at least i haven't noticed any changes, besides maybe the $500+ donors, i remember some changes a few months back to those. Maybe if the server is so reliant on the subscription service, you should make the server worth it. When i open a clothing shop, it feels like i cant even use half the shit, what's the point of designers making virtually only oly+ content, when the majority of players dont even have it, and have no intention of obtaining it. Maybe you are a bit too focused on money and not on the majority playerbase. I'll make sure to not be TOO opinionated though, i'll just get another week forums "warning" for asking a question.

• Haha 1

I've always thought that if they cut the price in half, they could easily get double to triple the current subscriptions cause $7.50 isn't very expensive, but I'm not paying $15 a month for most skins that I won't use.

• Like 3

The only stupid play ever made with the clothes for oly+ imo was the invisible bergens, which was immediately undone.  

I  heard some rumors about the racing clothes.. which honestly who cares. 

The server has to support itself, and and IMO the clothing situation has been handled quite well.  

I've always been a fan of gang leaders being able to buy oly+ bulk for their whole gang for a discount like $30, but you have to be in the gang at least a week to use it.  

The one thing I'm confused about is the airdrops.  That's 100% a huge economic advantage for  having oly+.  You can just choose to call them in at 6am with 0 cops and 15 player pop.  That's shouldn't be a thing behind the oly+ wall because of fairness and even bohemia tos. 

35 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

The only stupid play ever made with the clothes for oly+ imo was the invisible bergens, which was immediately undone.  

I  heard some rumors about the racing clothes.. which honestly who cares. 

The server has to support itself, and and IMO the clothing situation has been handled quite well.  

I've always been a fan of gang leaders being able to buy oly+ bulk for their whole gang for a discount like $30, but you have to be in the gang at least a week to use it.  

The one thing I'm confused about is the airdrops.  That's 100% a huge economic advantage for  having oly+.  You can just choose to call them in at 6am with 0 cops and 15 player pop.  That's shouldn't be a thing behind the oly+ wall because of fairness and even bohemia tos. 

There needs to be 60 players on to call an airdrop

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There needs to be 60 players on to call an airdrop

Wasn't aware of that, but the general principle still stands.  Can decide who's online and pop minimum when you do it.  It's not a large advantage, but it is an advantage. 

Certainly a much larger advantage than carrying an extra clip in gang unis which they got rid of lol. 

16 hours ago, Metro Boomin said:

Colored csats(had for literal years), colored tracksuits, several items of clothing/hats (the one i remember being annoyed at was called "dad swag" or something goofy). Also just because other servers do things, doesn't mean it's the right choice. Iirc correctly lots of servers allow something very no no, that i cant even talk about lmao. Overall, in my opinion, oly+ is fine, not for me, not for most players. But the one time donations get 0 love, or work, at least i haven't noticed any changes, besides maybe the $500+ donors, i remember some changes a few months back to those. Maybe if the server is so reliant on the subscription service, you should make the server worth it. When i open a clothing shop, it feels like i cant even use half the shit, what's the point of designers making virtually only oly+ content, when the majority of players dont even have it, and have no intention of obtaining it. Maybe you are a bit too focused on money and not on the majority playerbase. I'll make sure to not be TOO opinionated though, i'll just get another week forums "warning" for asking a question.

I ain't reading allat. But I *am* the guy who designed the dad swag Hawaiian shirt with mom jeans and I can vouch, it was an O+ skin from the day it hit the trello.

• +1 1
  • Hmm 1