RnR flight test

29 minutes ago, Angela said:

If you are removing the age for rnr surely you can remove the flight test ! Some of us......well just me probably can't fly !!!

Just give the medics the rank, but no access to helis if they cant fly. If they can fly, do the test and let them. Simple. Go practice in editor

• Like 1
  • Director of R&R
14 minutes ago, NexIV said:

Just give the medics the rank, but no access to helis if they cant fly. If they can fly, do the test and let them. Simple. Go practice in editor

Thats not how the ranks work.  If you are given Adv. paramedic, then you will have access to the helicopters.  

45 minutes ago, Angela said:

If you are removing the age for rnr surely you can remove the flight test ! Some of us......well just me probably can't fly !!!

The Flight test and age requirements are two different things.  I recommend that you practice in the editor on your flying and try and pass the test.

• Like 1
  • +1 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
26 minutes ago, CaloomClark said:

In fairness why on earth is there a flight test lmao.

APD corporals/PO’s don’t get a flight test. It isn’t a skill based faction, there shouldn’t have to be any flight test.

Well, way back in the day there used to be one for Corporal too, APD ditched it and the RnR kept it.

But the flight test is really just fear mongering, if you can take off, land, and keep a heli stable you'll pass with zero issues. It's not like they're asking you to line up shots on a car engine for a left bench gunner or combat land a tier 4 hummingbird in an active warzone flight. It's purpose is making sure you won't blow stuff up with your auto hover landings and you won't keep getting stuck in the middle of the woods as the only flight medic on because you wrecked your main rotor every other landing.

Even if you've never touched flying, with the 30 minute tutorials in the base game you'll be more than ready to pass it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, LULA 2022 - PT 13 said:

Even if you've never touched flying, with the 30 minute tutorials in the base game you'll be more than ready to pass it.

Sooo I can land and fly fine, I just can't land in a small area someone tells me too... I've failed twice now due to not being able to land inside a small area... if it was as simple as juts knowing how to fly and land I'd pass....also why can you not use auto hover???????

Edited by Angela
54 minutes ago, Angela said:

Sooo I can land and fly fine, I just can't land in a small area someone tells me too... I've failed twice now due to not being able to land inside a small area... if it was as simple as juts knowing how to fly and land I'd pass....also why can you not use auto hover???????

Next time you're on with a pararescue or a Sr ask them to run you through some flight test practice. Landing in small areas can be tricky but if you switch to 3pp you can avoid most obstacles.

As for auto hover, it's a crutch that makes you fly with lead lined oven mitts. If you're in a tight spot and see that it's not safe to land, the "pull" from the program as you try to adjust will crash you, it's fine in certain cases, but the exam is about making sure you can fly decently well independently so if the shortcuts aren't effective or available you can still cope. Go into the main menu, tutorials (or is it scenarios) and do the base game flight school; it replicates the flight test decently well and should help you fix tight landings.

• Like 2

Highly recommend a flight stick. I could reccomend you some real gucci ones but honestly for your purposes a cheap logitech one from amazon would do wonders and are super affordable. Makes learning to fly and land considerably easier.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CaloomClark said:

In fairness why on earth is there a flight test lmao.

APD corporals/PO’s don’t get a flight test. It isn’t a skill based faction, there shouldn’t have to be any flight test.

Look at it this way, there's one medic on the server, an advanced paramedic mind you, they cant fly because we didn't do a flight test because people said "it's dumb". You and your boys need a ride, you get in his helicopter and when flying hits a tree and you all die. It's the medics fault and he cant go back to revive you. You all lose your gear and start screaming and crying because the medic didn't come get you. Easily could have been avoided had we just done a flight test to make sure they know how to properly handle an airframe. APD doesn't have NLR, medics do. That's the difference.

4 minutes ago, SPBojo said:

The flight test is outdated and sets people that dont have the best flying skills up for failure, at least update the flight test 😅

Both the flight test as well as the oral exams were completely redone less than a year ago.

• Like 3
  • +1 1
5 minutes ago, XnavrasX said:

Look at it this way, there's one medic on the server, an advanced paramedic mind you, they cant fly because we didn't do a flight test because people said "it's dumb". You and your boys need a ride, you get in his helicopter and when flying hits a tree and you all die. It's the medics fault and he cant go back to revive you. You all lose your gear and start screaming and crying because the medic didn't come get you. Easily could have been avoided had we just done a flight test to make sure they know how to properly handle an airframe. APD doesn't have NLR, medics do. That's the difference.

I got first place in multiple resources using air almost exclusively. m900s, tarus, hurons...  literally thousands of runs.  I land with autohover.  I've crashed somewhere around 15 times.  Autohover isn't as bad as they make it out as.  

Autohover isn't a skill check.  It's an ego benchmark lol.  I crash less than the best pilots on the server, and pulled off extremely tricky landings hundreds of times (I always land on roofs, sometimes surrounded by trees).

15 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

I got first place in multiple resources using air almost exclusively. m900s, tarus, hurons...  literally thousands of runs.  I land with autohover.  I've crashed somewhere around 15 times.  Autohover isn't as bad as they make it out as.  

Autohover isn't a skill check.  It's an ego benchmark lol.  I crash less than the best pilots on the server, and pulled off extremely tricky landings hundreds of times (I always land on roofs, sometimes surrounded by trees).

Its not a tricky landing if you use autohover

Just now, Blood said:

Its not a tricky landing if you use autohover

Yea.  My point, there's no reason to still be dragging that test out.

• Downvote 1
  • Admin
1 hour ago, SPBojo said:

The flight test is outdated and sets people that dont have the best flying skills up for failure, at least update the flight test 😅

I’m not sure what the flight test entails these days but I imagine it's not much from when I was giving them. They’re not that hard, but I know there’s a few things that we used to do that were just simply not relevant to being a medic. Like when we used to walk the heli up and down the air strip at a low altitude. Making it more simplistic in certain areas could be a topic. I am definitely one that thinks it should exist though. As mentioned above, you’re the only pilot on and you don’t have basic flight abilities and you keep crashing and nobody is getting revived.

For anyone struggling, I was an AWFUL pilot. I blew up trying to take off on my first flight test with @ Mercury lmao. I then spawned hundreds of m900s in editor and just flew. Just practiced anything and everything. Within a week I passed with a nearly perfect score. Granted, Mercury was drunk af so maybe I didn’t do as well as I think 🤷🏻‍♂️. But if I could improve from not being able to take off without blowing up, anyone can learn. 

3 minutes ago, Dante said:

I’m not sure what the flight test entails these days but I imagine it's not much from when I was giving them. They’re not that hard, but I know there’s a few things that we used to do that were just simply not relevant to being a medic. Like when we used to walk the heli up and down the air strip at a low altitude. Making it more simplistic in certain areas could be a topic. I am definitely one that thinks it should exist though. As mentioned above, you’re the only pilot on and you don’t have basic flight abilities and you keep crashing and nobody is getting revived.

For anyone struggling, I was an AWFUL pilot. I blew up trying to take off on my first flight test with @ Mercury lmao. I then spawned hundreds of m900s in editor and just flew. Just practiced anything and everything. Within a week I passed with a nearly perfect score. Granted, Mercury was drunk af so maybe I didn’t do as well as I think 🤷🏻‍♂️. But if I could improve from not being able to take off without blowing up, anyone can learn. 

My flight test consisted of childish daring me to fly into the hangar and then out of it, i did as much and was good to 😅 Id assume it has changed since then but im sure it still has its elements of "outdated shit you never actually do"

1 hour ago, XnavrasX said:

Both the flight test as well as the oral exams were completely redone less than a year ago.

The medic loses however much the insurance was on their heli, i think they’d sooner get better at flying or just drive rather than risk the insurance over a 15k revive. Quite unfortunate to disallow rank progression due to flying

And if the medic hits a tree when flying he/she would also be paying for gearsets ontop of insurance.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CaloomClark said:

The medic loses however much the insurance was on their heli, i think they’d sooner get better at flying or just drive rather than risk the insurance over a 15k revive. Quite unfortunate to disallow rank progression due to flying

If I agree with caloom clarks dumb bushy eyebrowed ass on something, it's probably a solid point.

We all know it's just a way for SR medics to be alone with girls 😛

P.s.  That was a joke, I love the Sr medics. 

1 hour ago, SPBojo said:

The flight test was updated by @ Diamond and myself not too long ago, it has really been down graded in difficulty. The old one average time for medics to complete was around 17-20mins with the new one the longest flight test I have given was 18mins. The new average time is somewhere between 11-15mins its a lot more simpler now tho, as for the test @ Camper did it awhile ago and it's about the same difficulty.

Just now, Grizzly said:

The flight test was updated by @ Diamond and myself not too long ago, it has really been down graded in difficulty. The old one average time for medics to complete was around 17-20mins with the new one the longest flight test I have given was 18mins. The new average time is somewhere between 11-15mins its a lot more simpler now tho, as for the test @ Camper did it awhile ago and it's about the same difficulty.

I've heard from 3 different people over the last year, and I'm not trying to call out anyone on either side by name, that SR medics have made a habit of bringing their friends into the channel when conducting flight tests.  It makes people nervous.. should try to... put a stop to that. 

1 minute ago, The Sovereign said:

I've heard from 3 different people over the last year, and I'm not trying to call out anyone on either side by name, that SR medics have made a habit of bringing their friends into the channel when conducting flight tests.  It makes people nervous.. should try to... put a stop to that. 

I can 10000000% guarantee that no Sr brings their friends into the channels to watch, we don't even let Pararescue's sit in while we do it. Now if other Sr's join to watch or spectate there is nothing we can do about that as they have every right to do so, but no one other than Sr's are in the channel/heli while the test is going on

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I can 10000000% guarantee that no Sr brings their friends into the channels to watch, we don't even let Pararescue's sit in while we do it. Now if other Sr's join to watch or spectate there is nothing we can do about that as they have every right to do so, but no one other than Sr's are in the channel/heli while the test is going on

I've heard it from a couple diff people, their friends may have been sr medics as well?  I dunno..  I didnt personally witness everything.  I'm in no position to debate it.  

2 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

I've heard it from a couple diff people, their friends may have been sr medics as well?  I dunno..  I didnt personally witness everything.  I'm in no position to debate it.  

I mean yeah if another Sr medic joins the test nothing we can do it's not like we can say gtfo to another Sr medic lmao. But again we don't message all Sr RnR that we are doing a flight test because I do enough of them by myself I'll be dammed if I'm sitting in on one and not getting any credit for it 😂 they get boring after the first 50 you do trust me

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

they get boring after the first 50 you do trust me

Now imagine when server pop was 3x the amount and we had more medics 🥴 I gave interviews all day but I dreaded giving flight tests after a while. Lost many of my own helis giving those tests lol

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JDC said:

I failed my flight test 3 times.

Now look at me.

Best way is to practice in editor.

And we're all so proud of you.  Our little CTF man is growing up.

• Like 1