Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

PSA: Watch out for Steam phishing messages

• Developer II

Hey guys. Really kind of an embarrassing post to have to be making but got rused by a phishing scam today. That being said I wanted to make a post anyways since this is by far the most clever I have ever seen, and it seems to be going around as I got it from someone within Olympus.

This is how it goes. You get a message from one of your steam friends asking if you can vote on a logo they made for college. You say yes, they send you a link and you click it. Once you click it, they ask you to sign in with your steam. Since the URL is steamcommunity.com, you enter your info. One problem. It is not, they fake the entire window.

After that (whether it be a bot or a person), someone or something goes through your steams friends list and sends the same scam to every single one of your friends while simultaneously blocking them to prevent you from seeing their responses and being tipped off.

Here is a video of it, but wanted to put it out here so no one else is fooled the same way. Never thought I would ever be dumb enough to fall for a phishing scam but here we are.

On an unrelated but really kinda sweet note (for context) I created a semi-large Gary's mod server when I was fourteen. I still have a handful of them on my friends list to this day. When I reached out to one of them to disclose it was a scam, I got this really sweet reply which kinda felt good. I fell out of touch with a lot of them, but it was kind of a silver lining to the entire situation.

337bfc6cf491efbc9eb79e6405c835c0.png

Anyway TLDR: Don't be stupid like me 🥲

• Like 15
  • tinhead 2

never enter your steam info if it asks you to. most websites that are legit have your profile ready to sign in, if you have to type in your info its a scam.

Steam Community - Google Chrome (gyazo.com)

this is what it should look like.

Hello, Milo, i got a excellent opportunity for you to become president of Altis, Just click on my link and entre all you bank details and and everything else please and then you'll own Altis :kappa:xx

• Haha 1

Sorry this happened to you Milo! Hopefully they didn’t get anything from you that could make an impact.

• Love 1
  • Developer II
2 hours ago, Joel said:

Sorry this happened to you Milo! Hopefully they didn’t get anything from you that could make an impact.

Thank you, they didn't but definitely was pretty crazy. @ xsmitherz  hit me up within the first few hours letting me know I've been hacked and I couldn't believe it. No permanent damage of any sort but just sucks that I fell for it and that messege then went out to all my friends. I had to go through and send a message out to everyone afterwards telling them to disregard, even then pretty sure I missed a few since Mighty never got one.

Overall kinda GG to the scammers. They're asswipes, but I'll give it to them: faking an entire Chrome window is the most unhinged clever thing I have seen in a minute. I always check the domain name so when it checked out I just assumed I was good. Just beyond crazy lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Milo said:

Thank you, they didn't but definitely was pretty crazy. @ xsmitherz  hit me up within the first few hours letting me know I've been hacked and I couldn't believe it. No permanent damage of any sort but just sucks that I fell for it and that messege then went out to all my friends. I had to go through and send a message out to everyone afterwards telling them to disregard, even then pretty sure I missed a few since Mighty never got one.

Overall kinda GG to the scammers. They're asswipes, but I'll give it to them: faking an entire Chrome window is the most unhinged clever thing I have seen in a minute. I always check the domain name so when it checked out I just assumed I was good. Just beyond crazy lol.

@ Milo  it happens to most people at least once, sucks that it happened  to you though.

• Like 1
  • BlessUp 1

I always just assume that everyone is working with the rothschilds and is out to get me, makes it easy not to fall for these

Edited by Frato
  • BlessUp 1
  • Haha 1