Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Custom build help

So i'm dropping quite a few paychecks on this custom. This will be my first build and I've got a few questions.

For the video cards, I did (some) research. On my pcpartpicker.com list i selected the MSi 970 4gb. Which I heard is all that I needed for gaming. Now for a MSi 980 its about $150-$200 more but after watchin some videos all I can see is a 5-10 fps increase. I mean, for example, if I can play Arma 3 at 45fps would it be necessary to get the 980 just for the higher fps? Im not that worried about super high fps. If the 970 works on the 100% rendering at a nice fps, then I think that sounds good.

now for the motherboard, I read about the new DDR4 ram. Im not sure its worth getting a motherboard compatible with it and the extra money if there really isnt a increase in perfomance. thoughts? Thinking of sticking to ddr3.

as for the amount of ram, im thinking of 16 (4x4gb sticks). But once again I was told to get 32. Which sounds crazy, i dont do anything crazy ram specific like large video editing and processing.

also if im trying to save a few hundred bucks can I just get i5 or is i7 a must for good perfomancd. I believe my friend went balls out and got i7 16-core or whatever the fuck he said but I think the quadcore will be more than enough. Thoughts?

i just want to run 1 game well at nice graphics. Im not going to have 4 games open.. Just a few tabs in my browser and 1 game.

let me know your input! If you recommend a better gpu/cpu lemme know the name. 

Oh ya also idk what liquid cooling I should get idk what the differences are so if anyone can put me in the right direction there, much appreciated.

There's an increase in performance from DDR3 to DDR4, whether or not it's worth your money is up to you.

Medium-high speed ram at 16gbs is what you're looking for. Unless you decide to get into rendering mass amounts of video.

Minimum high end i5 if you're going with intel. Honestly you should strive for an i7 if you can, just be aware some i5 and i7 are alike but their prices are not. For average gaming go for 4-8 cores.

If you're not planning on overclocking, water cooling is somewhat overkill.

There's an increase in performance from DDR3 to DDR4, whether or not it's worth your money is up to you.

Medium-high speed ram at 16gbs is what you're looking for. Unless you decide to get into rendering mass amounts of video.

Minimum high end i5 if you're going with intel. Honestly you should strive for an i7 if you can, just be aware some i5 and i7 are alike but their prices are not. For average gaming go for 4-8 cores.

If you're not planning on overclocking, water cooling is somewhat overkill.

ah so A $20 fan will do? Or do I need multiple? Also i thought water cooling and liquid cooling was 2 different things

Edited by Horizon

I have an AMD build and A Intel Build. I prefer Intel over AMD just because of the sheer performance. Specs are below

AMD:
Processor: FX 6300 Black Edition 3.6 GHZ
GPU: 270 X Sapphire
Ram: 8 Gbs (2X4gb)
Back when I played this 
one I got usually 40-50 frames outside of Kavala. And 30-35 In Kavala while is being "aids." Running on Ultra.

Intel:
CPU : i7-4790k
GPU: 980 Ti Super clocked
Ram: 16 Gb (2X8gb)

Now on this beautiful machine I get anywhere from 95+ fps outside Kavala, and 70+ in it. 

I would defientaly recommend just sticking with a DDr3 considering there is no push for DDr4 Yet. I haven't water cool either machines and they run fine for regular gaming sessions. But More fans the better. Helps keep the CPUs' Temp lower. Also If your looking for a pc ONLY for arma try for a higher end CPU, All Bohemia games are CPU-intensive and not GPU like others. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. 

I have an AMD build and A Intel Build. I prefer Intel over AMD just because of the sheer performance. Specs are below

AMD:
Processor: FX 6300 Black Edition 3.6 GHZ
GPU: 270 X Sapphire
Ram: 8 Gbs (2X4gb)
Back when I played this 
one I got usually 40-50 frames outside of Kavala. And 30-35 In Kavala while is being "aids." Running on Ultra.

Intel:
CPU : i7-4790k
GPU: 980 Ti Super clocked
Ram: 16 Gb (2X8gb)

Now on this beautiful machine I get anywhere from 95+ fps outside Kavala, and 70+ in it. 

I would defientaly recommend just sticking with a DDr3 considering there is no push for DDr4 Yet. I haven't water cool either machines and they run fine for regular gaming sessions. But More fans the better. Helps keep the CPUs' Temp lower. Also If your looking for a pc ONLY for arma try for a higher end CPU, All Bohemia games are CPU-intensive and not GPU like others. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. 

So with an i7 4790k processor, and a 970 video card I will run arma very well?

dc66d1e4fd32b3681745118db23b72ce.png

af48ba211b189b51f2305c87a8bad39d.png

[750 watt power supply]

[ Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X]

[GPU: MSI GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5]

[Case:NZXT Phantom Full Tower Computer Case]

[CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K]

[Hard Drive: 3x SAMSUNG 250GB SSD]

Ez build ez life :D

They fucked up on the gtx 970, It has 3.5 gbs of vram instead of 4. RIP if you wanna play on a 4k monitor or even ultra settings for arma 3, Its a big difference. :D Go with a msi 980 With the 4 gbs of vram  :D Its better no matter what anybody says :D With the 4 gbs of vram 

Edited by Adaptation
Cause

ah so A $20 fan will do? Or do I need multiple? Also i thought water cooling and liquid cooling was 2 different things

Most cases come with basic fans, you can upgrade them if you like. But there's not much difference. You could add more fans in the future if you like.

Water cooling and liquid cooling are two different names for the same thing.

Looks like im spending the extra $200 then :(

rip my bank account. Actually guess its okay since i dont need to buy liquid cooling anymore. 

Adaption im actually probably going to coppy your build just probably a different case. What fan(s) do you have?

btw thanks jorbis for the help.

Edited by Horizon

dc66d1e4fd32b3681745118db23b72ce.png

af48ba211b189b51f2305c87a8bad39d.png

[750 watt power supply]

[ Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X]

[GPU: MSI GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5]

[Case:NZXT Phantom Full Tower Computer Case]

[CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K]

[Hard Drive: 3x SAMSUNG 250GB SSD]

Ez build ez life :D

They fucked up on the gtx 970, It has 3.5 gbs of vram instead of 4. RIP if you wanna play on a 4k monitor or even ultra settings for arma 3, Its a big difference. :D Go with a msi 980 With the 4 gbs of vram  :D Its better no matter what anybody says :D With the 4 gbs of vram 

You have a 980 to play on 1366x768 @ 60hz, Someone needs a new monitor man, damn! All that money in a comp and you play on a low res.... I'm so sorry 

• Like 3

Looks like im spending the extra $200 then :(

rip my bank account. Actually guess its okay since i dont need to buy liquid cooling anymore. 

Adaption im actually probably going to coppy your build just probably a different case. What fan(s) do you have?

btw thanks jorbis for the help.

One more thing, 8gb of ram would be fine. Like what adaptation has in his build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Horiizonn/saved/Dktypg

ok so heres what I got. Can someone tell me if the GPU and CPU will work. My bud keeps telling me the GPU is ddr4 and the cpu is ddr3 but i dont see where it says that.

Edited by Horizon

Your GPU and CPU will work together. However the site you're using has flagged the fact that your cooler and case aren't on each others compatibility list. That can mean one of two things, either they're not compatible or they are compatible and just aren't listed on each others compatibility list.

Your GPU and CPU will work together. However the site you're using has flagged the fact that your cooler and case aren't on each others compatibility list. That can mean one of two things, either they're not compatible or they are compatible and just aren't listed on each others compatibility list.

yeah ik but my mate thats building it (hes new) says the motherboard and gpu arent compatible due to the gpu being gddr5 and the motherboard bein ddr3. No idea what that means.

One more thing, 8gb of ram would be fine. Like what adaptation has in his build.

I only have 8 gbs of ram because im not using the my pc to render videos, 16+ gbs of ram helps render/ process video's faster but why have it in if im not using it all? :D  

You have a 980 to play on 1366x768 @ 60hz, Someone needs a new monitor man, damn! All that money in a comp and you play on a low res.... I'm so sorry 

The current resolution was set on the current monitor it was on :P I have 2 others :P 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Horiizonn/saved/Dktypg

ok so heres what I got. Can someone tell me if the GPU and CPU will work. My bud keeps telling me the GPU is ddr4 and the cpu is ddr3 but i dont see where it says that.

Is the WiFi adapter really necessary? I have that same MoBo and it has that "Killer Ethernet Controller", which is supposed to really cut down on any latency that is caused by your computer. A WiFi adapter kind of defeats the purpose. And if you want to save some money, you can probably downgrade the video card. I have the GTX 770 and like others have said, Arma really isn't GPU intensive. GTX 770 has served me well for BF4, Arma, GTA V, and a few others. Not that I'm saying you should get the 770, but the 980 might be overkill. I have my arma settings attached and I'll usually get at least 50 FPS, if not 70. Lowest I've seen it go was 43 with heavy server fog and some smokes deployed.

a6b74710f56b6d673782d12118da1e41.png

b15e4b82208b1d52dabaddb7930ad6ff.png

I want to build a new computer :(.  I need a job that makes more money...  Tis a good lookin build sir.

How about upgrading your computer one or 2 parts at a time? Technically I've had the same computer for 12 years, but its been upgraded so many times that at this point the oldest part besides my hard drive is like 2 years old.

Is the WiFi adapter really necessary? I have that same MoBo and it has that "Killer Ethernet Controller", which is supposed to really cut down on any latency that is caused by your computer. A WiFi adapter kind of defeats the purpose. And if you want to save some money, you can probably downgrade the video card. I have the GTX 770 and like others have said, Arma really isn't GPU intensive. GTX 770 has served me well for BF4, Arma, GTA V, and a few others. Not that I'm saying you should get the 770, but the 980 might be overkill. I have my arma settings attached and I'll usually get at least 50 FPS, if not 70. Lowest I've seen it go was 43 with heavy server fog and some smokes deployed.

a6b74710f56b6d673782d12118da1e41.png

b15e4b82208b1d52dabaddb7930ad6ff.png

im having a hard time understand what you mean :( 

I need the wifi adapter because my room has no ethernet shit and I cant put the adapter in here.

im having a hard time understand what you mean :( 

I need the wifi adapter because my room has no ethernet shit and I cant put the adapter in here.

Ah, ok then yeah, you're kinda stuck with that. 

And I only meant that if money is tight, you can get away with a 970. Unless you plan on having some super duper monitor, 980's are overkill with the current generation of games, no matter what anyone says. And since you mentioned 45FPS being fine (which honestly, you'll most likely be getting way more than that) you can save yourself some money.

Ah, ok then yeah, you're kinda stuck with that. 

And I only meant that if money is tight, you can get away with a 970. Unless you plan on having some super duper monitor, 980's are overkill with the current generation of games, no matter what anyone says. And since you mentioned 45FPS being fine (which honestly, you'll most likely be getting way more than that) you can save yourself some money.

yeah I updated the part list if you want to check it out.

I dropped down to i5 instead of i7 and am going to use the 970 instead of the 980.