APD Age Restrictions

I'm just generally curious about the age restriction. What is the difference between a person who is 16 and wants to be an APD member and a younger person, say a year younger? I recently submitted an APD request and was denied. I understand the age restriction but at least evaluate someone and then decide right? Surely you shouldn't just say your not 16 bye. 

We've had issues in the past with younger players and this restriction will not change.

There ARE less than a handful of players on the APD that we are aware of who are younger than 16 (Our youngest officer is 14 - Officer Ham) but these individuals have become prominent members of the community and gained a decent amount of trust from most of the members. We only made exceptions for them for this reason. Even still their age restricts them to the maximum rank of corporal (Can't have a 14 year old SGT telling 15 year olds they are too young :P)

I apologize but we will not compromise on this.

18 minutes ago, McDili said:

We've had issues in the past with younger players and this restriction will not change.

There ARE less than a handful of players on the APD that we are aware of who are younger than 16 (Our youngest officer is 14 - Officer Ham) but these individuals have become prominent members of the community and gained a decent amount of trust from most of the members. We only made exceptions for them for this reason. Even still their age restricts them to the maximum rank of corporal (Can't have a 14 year old SGT telling 15 year olds they are too young :P)

Yeah but I think it should still be a bit more lenient as I haven't seen any issues with it recently. With it we gained great APD members such as Trimorphious and Ham, I think we should atleast give the youngsters a chance :D
#Ham4SGT

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Phizx said:

Yeah but I think it should still be a bit more lenient as I haven't seen any issues with it recently. With it we gained great APD members such as Trimorphious and Ham, I think we should atleast give the youngsters a chance :D
#Ham4SGT

Exceptions are already made just so they can play and go up to corporal. We just can't have SGT's who aren't of age telling people older than they are that they're too young to be a cop.

We rarely make exceptions for these folks as it is. Senior APD is where we draw the line.

Well I'm not exactly asking to be in I just wanted an interview before I was told no. Also how does one become a "prominent member of the community"? Those are the people who have family members who are APD or run the servers probably. Also I don't mind being the lowest rank I just wanted something to do other than get rdmd everytime I play the game.

Just now, brattierlama8 said:

Well I'm not exactly asking to be in I just wanted an interview before I was told no. Also how does one become a "prominent member of the community"? Those are the people who have family members who are APD or run the servers probably. Also I don't mind being the lowest rank I just wanted something to do other than get rdmd everytime I play the game.

Erm, no none of us who call the shots are family with anyone who is under age. You become a "Prominent" member of the community by just playing the game and interacting with players. After some time people are inevitably going to recognize you.

In the meantime, feel free to play as Vigilante.

1 minute ago, brattierlama8 said:

Easiest way is to be active on the forums and join a fairly prominent gang. Once you've been around for a while and have other prominent people vouching for you, we may reconsider. Its a simple fact that maturity often correlates with age. A majority of 14 and 15 year olds lack the social and personal maturity to be on a white-listed role.

Olympus has been around for a while and more or less has a stable position among the altis life servers. This is because of the rules that we have in place that ensure that the majority of players will have a good time playing on Olympus. We'd rather have a couple of unhappy 14 year olds, than risk one 14 year old ruining the the experience for a bunch of other older (who also donate) players.

Not going to lie, whenever I hear a squeaker I kind of roll my eyes (and I know others do also) because a majority of the time we can expect them to be sub-par with their RP and behavior. A lot of 20 and 30 year olds don't want to be caught by cops that have their voice break every time they say "APD hands up or be tazed"

• Like 2

Ok one more thing and I will leave you nice people alone. I don't know for sure, but the Olympus community doesn't seem extremely large. Wouldn't the people who run the servers and such want the community to grow? Being in a position such as APD would encourage people to continue playing and they would most likely contribute to the community more with posts and such. Wouldn't it? Also say you're 15. You will never get the chance to be an APD basically. By that time there will probably be like an Arma 4 or something! And if a younger player is a bad APD why not just strip him of being an APD? That is all thank you for your time

Edited by brattierlama8
1 hour ago, McDili said:

Exceptions are already made just so they can play and go up to corporal. We just can't have SGT's who aren't of age telling people older than they are that they're too young to be a cop.

We rarely make exceptions for these folks as it is. Senior APD is where we draw the line.

#RipTheDream

1 hour ago, Phizx said:

#Ham4SGT

Thanks <3 Means a lot but, as Dili has stated, I can't go further into the APD. Though I wish I could, it seems I am like an insect in a spider's web.

• Like 1

Two points:

1. If more exceptions were made then what would the point be to having an age limit.

2. If the age limit was dropped people would eventually complain and ask for the limit to be dropped down further.

The Chief told you there was a way in for underage folk.  I would be happy that there is a snowballs chance in hell, rather then none at all.  Olympus is indeed smaller then some communities; however, it does not need to lower its standards just to accommodate new people for the sake of growth.  Quality is usually better then quantity.  Interviewing people who are underage to see how they act is also pointless.  Anyone can behave when they know they are being evaluated.  You seemed to have taken a professional approach to the situation.  As was stated, join a gang or play and interact within the community and let people get to know you.  Easy breezy.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, McDili said:

I understand the restriction of the rank they can reach but you might've misunderstood me. As Muthinator mentioned I don't think we need to drop the age limits or take them out completely but rather give them a chance. I know a lot of people who are mature when they need to be have been denied due to their age without being given a chance. It doesn't matter much to me, however, I think if they know enough about the APD and server rules and they pass their interview, sAPD should allow them to participate in the deputy training , see how they act and then decide whether they are equipt to be a deputy or not.

Also
#Ham4Sgt 

Kappa
Edit: Say I was 15 and acted just as any other member of the APD, why should I have to wait another whole year to be a cop on Olympus? Doesn't make sense to me

1 hour ago, Phizx said:

I understand the restriction of the rank they can reach but you might've misunderstood me. As Muthinator mentioned I don't think we need to drop the age limits or take them out completely but rather give them a chance. I know a lot of people who are mature when they need to be have been denied due to their age without being given a chance. It doesn't matter much to me, however, I think if they know enough about the APD and server rules and they pass their interview, sAPD should allow them to participate in the deputy training , see how they act and then decide whether they are equipt to be a deputy or not.

Also
#Ham4Sgt 

Kappa
Edit: Say I was 15 and acted just as any other member of the APD, why should I have to wait another whole year to be a cop on Olympus? Doesn't make sense to me

I don't think you have a grasp on the word 'maturity' yet. :D:PJSalt:

14 hours ago, McDili said:

Ham is 14??? :blink:

The fact that some people (like me) have no idea whilst playing with him is part of the reason he was accepted into the APD. Like the higher ups are saying, just play the game, show you are invested, and get in with a gang that can vouch for you. If you truly are up to the task (posting here with questions was a good first step), I'm sure you'll have no problem proving yourself.

1 hour ago, Phizx said:

I know a lot of people who are mature when they need to be have been denied due to their age without being given a chance. It doesn't matter much to me, however, I think if they know enough about the APD and server rules and they pass their interview, sAPD should allow them to participate in the deputy training , see how they act and then decide whether they are equipt to be a deputy or not. 

The deputy training would not be adequate enough to evaluate someone. As was said, anyone can act appropriately when being watched. All it takes is one underage cop to get butt hurt over a game and ruin it for a bunch of people.

As was said, APD access is a privilege, not a right. It doesn't matter if it's not "fair", because life isn't fair. Be happy that there is still a route to join, even if it is harder. Prove that you're worth it.

1 hour ago, Phizx said:

Also
#Ham4Sgt 

Kappa

Thanks, but for me to get sergeant, I would have to wait another year, even though my birthday is next month, I would only be 15.

22 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

The fact that some people (like me) have no idea whilst playing with him is part of the reason he was accepted into the APD. Like the higher ups are saying, just play the game, show you are invested, and get in with a gang that can vouch for you. If you truly are up to the task (posting here with questions was a good first step), I'm sure you'll have no problem proving yourself.

Yes, I am 14, but I have been told I am mature for my age :)

45 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

Nobody would guess Trimorphious is also 14. Guy sounds like a freakin bass heavy smokers lung at 14. Unbelievable.

9 minutes ago, McDili said:

Nobody would guess Trimorphious is also 14. Guy sounds like a freakin bass heavy smokers lung at 14. Unbelievable.

Trimo is 15 right now I think. Birthday was in Febuary if I'm not mistaken :P

43 minutes ago, McDili said:

Dudes younger than me by like 3 years and I still mistake him for my father.. Rip . SqueakerLyfe

• Like 1
3 hours ago, McDili said:

In addition to this, playing alongside Trimorphious it would never even hit you regarding his age, his maturity is that of someone well in their 20s.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, talindor said:

In addition to this, playing alongside Trimorphious it would never even hit you regarding his age, his maturity is that of someone well in their 20s.

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Trimo is 15 right now I think. Birthday was in Febuary if I'm not mistaken :P

Yep turned 15 in February

14 hours ago, McDili said:

I get that a lot haha 

• Like 2

I thought trimorph was 30+ when I met him, quiet mature guy.

Ham is by far the funnest person to play with from civ/apd/r&r. Always makes you laugh and brings some funny ass moments to the table!

Like everything else in life- you just need to prove yourself ^^ 

Patience is a virtue 

On March 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Lucki said:

Easiest way is to be active on the forums and join a fairly prominent gang. Once you've been around for a while and have other prominent people vouching for you, we may reconsider. Its a simple fact that maturity often correlates with age. A majority of 14 and 15 year olds lack the social and personal maturity to be on a white-listed role.

Olympus has been around for a while and more or less has a stable position among the altis life servers. This is because of the rules that we have in place that ensure that the majority of players will have a good time playing on Olympus. We'd rather have a couple of unhappy 14 year olds, than risk one 14 year old ruining the the experience for a bunch of other older (who also donate) players.

Not going to lie, whenever I hear a squeaker I kind of roll my eyes (and I know others do also) because a majority of the time we can expect them to be sub-par with their RP and behavior. A lot of 20 and 30 year olds don't want to be caught by cops that have their voice break every time they say "APD hands up or be tazed"

See that's why I would say this is the AP you'll get the D later because I get that pause in between and my voice wouldn't crack :). Jk make me a cop