Im building a new PC !!

In the next month , ill be finishing my studies and working a PC , but I need some knowledge from people of Olympus to finish this build so I have multiple questions first is : 

1- Should I get 980 ti or wait for the pascal 1080?

2- 6700k or 4790k ? whats the difference?? 

3- usually with this big build will I need more than 750w of power supply? 

4- Im stuck on mices , (im taking suggestions) I am currently using a DeathAdder so something close to that?

5- What's to upgrade on my build? ---->

Keep in mind this is like a overkill build and everyone is gonna say you don't need all this but I want this build to be a bit overkill and last me some good time. Also use's for recording and streaming games without having any problems. I won't be spending thousands as well so the questions I asked might give you an idea of what im lookin for!!!! 

My Pc specs right now (a bit outdated this is why im upgrading)

Proccessor: i5 4760k 

Ram: 8gb HyperX

Graphics card: GTX 760 twin frozr

Memory : 256 evo SSD , 1 TB 

Power supply : 750w

Cpu cooler: h80i corsair liquid cooling 

Case : 450D Corsair Case

So for any of you computer geeks , im taking suggestions and ill be sure to post my ending resullts :)

Well.. I would wait for the 1080 because I heard it's really good and cheap for a GPU and perfect for Arma and big open world games. The mouse I would go with the SteelSeries Rival 700 because it's a great mouse for games like this with nice and easy ac willing to pay 130 bucks, but yeah good luck with the build man

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, HyperGoat said:

In the next month , ill be finishing my studies and working a PC , but I need some knowledge from people of Olympus to finish this build so I have multiple questions first is : 

1- Should I get 980 ti or wait for the pascal 1080?

1080 is already out, though really low in stock and hard to get right now because they're selling so fast.

But yes, get a 1080.

2- 6700k or 4790k ? whats the difference?? 

i7-6700k. Difference is a more optimized architecture (Especially if you want to overclock) and most importantly, the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 RAM.

DDR4 RAM quick explanation. Doesn't work exactly like this but imagine DDR3 is a 2 lane highway with a speedlimit of 65 and imagine DDR4 is a 4 lane highway with a speed limit of 75. Speed is slightly increase, but it's double the traffic. RAM feeds your CPU with information, which means for Arma especially the i7-6700k is a no brainer since Arma is CPU bound

3- usually with this big build will I need more than 750w of power supply? 

You will not need more than 550W 80+ bronze. However if energy cost is high to you, then a bigger power supply is more cost efficient. An 850W for example would be the most cost effective for this build as most PSU's operate most efficiently as 50% output. This build will operate mostly around 400-450W. Costs less on your power bill but cost more upfront to buy an 850W.

4- Im stuck on mices , (im taking suggestions) I am currently using a DeathAdder so something close to that?

Razer mice have a double click issue sometimes later in their lifespan. I recommend the Zowie ZA13. Really fantastic mouse and somewhat cheap. No software, all settings are low level hardware based so there's almost zero performance impact and input lag.

5- What's to upgrade on my build? ---->

Keep in mind this is like a overkill build and everyone is gonna say you don't need all this but I want this build to be a bit overkill and last me some good time. Also use's for recording and streaming games without having any problems. I won't be spending thousands as well so the questions I asked might give you an idea of what im lookin for!!!! 

My Pc specs right now (a bit outdated this is why im upgrading)

Proccessor: i5 4760k 

Ram: 8gb HyperX

Graphics card: GTX 760 twin frozr

Memory : 256 evo SSD , 1 TB 

Power supply : 750w

Cpu cooler: h80i corsair liquid cooling 

Case : 450D Corsair Case

So for any of you computer geeks , im taking suggestions and ill be sure to post my ending resullts :)

You aren't in dire need of upgrading your CPU. You could get a 1080 and add another 8GB stick of RAM and be set.

But if you're going overkill, then by all means get the i7-6700k. You will have to get a new MOBO to support that CPU. I recommend the Z170-A.

Get the GTX 1080.

Get 16GB Corsair whatever DDR4 2133MHz RAM at the very least. I recommend 2400mhz. RAM speed is pretty negligible, anything higher than 2400mhz isn't worth the cost.

Storage is fine. I prefer larger SSD storage but I'm weird.

CPU Cooler is fine.

Case is fine.

1 minute ago, McDili said:

1080 is already out, though really low in stock and hard to get right now because they're selling so fast.

But yes, get a 1080.

i7-6700k. Difference is a more optimized architecture (Especially if you want to overclock) and most importantly, the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 RAM.

DDR4 RAM quick explanation. Doesn't work exactly like this but imagine DDR3 is a 2 lane highway with a speedlimit of 65 and imagine DDR4 is a 4 lane highway with a speed limit of 75. Speed is slightly increase, but it's double the traffic. RAM feeds your CPU with information, which means for Arma especially the i7-6700k is a no brainer since Arma is CPU bound

You will not need more than 550W 80+ bronze. However if energy cost is high to you, then a bigger power supply is more cost efficient. An 850W for example would be the most cost effective for this build as most PSU's operate most efficiently as 50% output. This build will operate mostly around 400-450W. Costs less on your power bill but cost more upfront to buy an 850W.

Razer mice have a double click issue sometimes later in their lifespan. I recommend the Zowie ZA13. Really fantastic mouse and somewhat cheap. No software, all settings are low level hardware based so there's almost zero performance impact and input lag.

You aren't in dire need of upgrading your CPU. You could get a 1080 and add another 8GB stick of RAM and be set.

But if you're going overkill, then by all means get the i7-6700k. You will have to get a new MOBO to support that CPU. I recommend the Z170-A.

Get the GTX 1080.

Get 16GB Corsair whatever DDR4 2133MHz RAM at the very least. I recommend 2400mhz. RAM speed is pretty negligible, anything higher than 2400mhz isn't worth the cost.

Storage is fine. I prefer larger SSD storage but I'm weird.

CPU Cooler is fine.

Case is fine.

So like i7 6700k would be good for streaming games etc ? and thanks for the tips

14 minutes ago, HyperGoat said:

So like i7 6700k would be good for streaming games etc ? and thanks for the tips

The i7-6700k is probably the best quad-core CPU you can get right now. Yeah it and the 1080 would make you forget you were even streaming.

On 6/7/2016 at 9:39 AM, Midnightcamo said:

@McDili I don't know Dili ;) but ill see but thanks for the tips

Im taking tips from any other computer "geeks" out there :P bump 

On 6/7/2016 at 8:39 AM, Midnightcamo said:

5 minutes ago, HyperGoat said:

@McDili I don't know Dili ;) but ill see but thanks for the tips

Im taking tips from any other computer "geeks" out there :P bump 

What I'm saying is, go look up benchmarks that compare the i7-4790k and i7-6700k side by side.

Yeah, the i7-4790k has better single core performance. But the i7-6700k consistently beats the i7-4790k where it actually matters, in Frames per second.

EDIT for sources.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3502vs2384

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

2nd EDIT: This is why I never use CPUBOSS or GPUBOSS as a reference. It's typically not giving you the actual information you need to make an educated purchase decision.

I personally would wait to get the 1070, it will be about $200 cheaper and your only lose 3-7 fps which is really small. Also, you will get around 70fps on ultra graphics in cities so :)

20 hours ago, Mr. Whiskey said:

I personally would wait to get the 1070, it will be about $200 cheaper and your only lose 3-7 fps which is really small. Also, you will get around 70fps on ultra graphics in cities so :)

1080? or 1070?

I just recently upgraded my PC (AMD 8350, 32gb ddr3, r9 290, ssds, etc) in an effort to get very good frames in pretty much everything but especially Arma 3. I went from around 25-40 frames in Kavala (less even during peak hours) to anywhere from 60-120 frames in Kavala during peak. Needless to say it's night and day when it comes to my experience playing Arma now. Link to the build for the curious: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jRLP6X.

Your PC is already pretty good for Arma, I'd imagine you aren't going to see a massive increase in frames from what you have now. Arma 3 is incredibly CPU bottle-necked due to the way the engine is built, it's basically running a bunch of simulations and offloading a few minor tasks to other threads. Check out this post on Reddit for a great explanation. With all that in mind, your current CPU (4670k) scores 2200 for single threaded tasks in PassMark whereas the 6700k scores 2330, as you can see it's not a whole lot of difference leading me to believe you're really not going to get such massive gains even if you do upgrade. Since you're streaming/recording, an i7 will give you a lot of headroom and you'll likely not see any frame drops if you do upgrade, offloading that stuff to other cores will likely be a fairly good performance gain.

Just a quick note on RAM speeds, Arma 3 loves faster DDR4, we're still talking only a couple frames here but the reality is cost difference between 2133 and 3200 DDR4 is a couple of dollars and I figure you might as well get the most out of the new standard.

With all that said, of course upgrading is going to get you an increase in frames, but it's not going to be huge like going from AMD to Intel. If I were you and I had the money to burn, I'd still upgrade simply to stay current for another couple of years. DDR4, the latest Z170 chipset features and a whole load of other small improvements all make the Skylake CPUs worth an upgrade in my opinion. Plus who doesn't like new toys to play with?

If you want to save that $ though, I'd try overclocking (maybe grabbing a new cooler, but your h80i is ok), grabbing a PCI-E M.2 card and a new Samsung nvme drive and a 1070 once they're released and see what the frame differences are like. Worst case it doesn't work and you can still use this stuff in your new build.

If I had to guess your 960 is only barely, if at all, bottle-necking your Arma 3 frames, I would still recommend upgrading to a 1070/1080 or to save some pennies a 480 once they're available just so you can play other games at their max at 1080p for the foreseeable future. My older aio water cooled r9 290 still handles Arma 3 without issue and gets to 50% utilisation at best and I doubt I'll be upgrading until much later this year when AMD release their high end Vega based cards. I know a bunch of people are probably going to chime in about how their 980 ti destroys Arma 3 and they have a bazillion frames, sorry but it's mostly not your graphics card. I wish Arma worked that way and if it did you can bet your ass I would have a 1080 already :D

Unless you're running SLI/Crossfire, 750watts is more than enough and offers a lot of headroom still. The price difference between similar quality PSU from 550w to 750 is minimal. My build even with the power hungry (understatement of the year) r9 290 only draws around 500watts under extreme load. Most PSU these days are highly efficient and wont even spin up their fan until they reach very heavy loads or temperatures. Just in case you don't know, this is the one part I wouldn't skimp on if you're trying to save money, a cheap, shitty PSU has the ability to kill the rest of your build very quickly showing no mercy. The Corsair RMx, EVGA P2/G2/T2, pretty much any Seasonic and anything here will be a good pickup.

For a mouse, I use a Finalmouse 2016, simple, no thrills, and uses the 3310 sensor just like the current awesome Zowie offerings. Make sure you combine this with a decent mechanical keyboard and you'll have a lot of fun. Just to reiterate on the Razer doubleclick issue McDili mentioned, yeah, totally real. I've gone through two Nagas, a Deathadder and a Mamba before I finally got done with that shit. Always the same fucking double clicking bullshit. I sure they make some good stuff, but apparently can't get double clicking to last more than a year.

A great resource for me over the last few months when I was planning my build was the buildapc subreddit.

Edited by Mr Majestic
37 minutes ago, Mr Majestic said:

I just recently upgraded my PC (AMD 8350, 32gb ddr3, r9 290, ssds, etc) in an effort to get very good frames in pretty much everything but especially Arma 3. I went from around 25-40 frames in Kavala (less even during peak hours) to anywhere from 60-120 frames in Kavala during peak. Needless to say it's night and day when it comes to my experience playing Arma now. Link to the build for the curious: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jRLP6X.

Your PC is already pretty good for Arma, I'd imagine you aren't going to see a massive increase in frames from what you have now. Arma 3 is incredibly CPU bottle-necked due to the way the engine is built, it's basically running a bunch of simulations and offloading a few minor tasks to other threads. Check out this post on Reddit for a great explanation. With all that in mind, your current CPU (4670k) scores 2200 for single threaded tasks in PassMark whereas the 6700k scores 2330, as you can see it's not a whole lot of difference leading me to believe you're really not going to get such massive gains even if you do upgrade. Since you're streaming/recording, an i7 will give you a lot of headroom and you'll likely not see any frame drops if you do upgrade, offloading that stuff to other cores will likely be a fairly good performance gain.

Just a quick note on RAM speeds, Arma 3 loves faster DDR4, we're still talking only a couple frames here but the reality is cost difference between 2133 and 3200 DDR4 is a couple of dollars and I figure you might as well get the most out of the new standard.

With all that said, of course upgrading is going to get you an increase in frames, but it's not going to be huge like going from AMD to Intel. If I were you and I had the money to burn, I'd still upgrade simply to stay current for another couple of years. DDR4, the latest Z170 chipset features and a whole load of other small improvements all make the Skylake CPUs worth an upgrade in my opinion. Plus who doesn't like new toys to play with?

If you want to save that $ though, I'd try overclocking (maybe grabbing a new cooler, but your h80i is ok), grabbing a PCI-E M.2 card and a new Samsung nvme drive and a 1070 once they're released and see what the frame differences are like. Worst case it doesn't work and you can still use this stuff in your new build.

If I had to guess your 960 is only barely, if at all, bottle-necking your Arma 3 frames, I would still recommend upgrading to a 1070/1080 or to save some pennies a 480 once they're available just so you can play other games at their max at 1080p for the foreseeable future. My older aio water cooled r9 290 still handles Arma 3 without issue and gets to 50% utilisation at best and I doubt I'll be upgrading until much later this year when AMD release their high end Vega based cards. I know a bunch of people are probably going to chime in about how their 980 ti destroys Arma 3 and they have a bazillion frames, sorry but it's mostly not your graphics card. I wish Arma worked that way and if it did you can bet your ass I would have a 1080 already :D

Unless you're running SLI/Crossfire, 750watts is more than enough and offers a lot of headroom still. The price difference between similar quality PSU from 550w to 750 is minimal. My build even with the power hungry (understatement of the year) r9 290 only draws around 500watts under extreme load. Most PSU these days are highly efficient and wont even spin up their fan until they reach very heavy loads or temperatures. Just in case you don't know, this is the one part I wouldn't skimp on if you're trying to save money, a cheap, shitty PSU has the ability to kill the rest of your build very quickly showing no mercy. The Corsair RMx, EVGA P2/G2/T2, pretty much any Seasonic and anything here will be a good pickup.

For a mouse, I use a Finalmouse 2016, simple, no thrills, and uses the 3310 sensor just like the current awesome Zowie offerings. Make sure you combine this with a decent mechanical keyboard and you'll have a lot of fun. Just to reiterate on the Razer doubleclick issue McDili mentioned, yeah, totally real. I've gone through two Nagas, a Deathadder and a Mamba before I finally got done with that shit. Always the same fucking double clicking bullshit. I sure they make some good stuff, but apparently can't get double clicking to last more than a year.

A great resource for me over the last few months when I was planning my build was the buildapc subreddit.

+1 for /r/buildapc mention

Definitely lots of information there for anyone who wants to learn.