Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Locked APD and you

So today I did my second interview for my APD application. I failed both. However tho. I felt the system they use had flaws. I Then tried to speak to one of the moderators. We were having a civil conversation. Until one of the Admins (Travis). Came down and instantly started to be a dick. He dropped the he's a higher up card. And didn't let anyone speak, pretty much his word was final. It honestly was pissing my off but I stayed calm. And was nice. I was pointing out stuff life. "How some people will learn better for playing as a cop. Prior to just reading the APD handbook ( I did read it, 3 times.) And yet I failed my test. While in the TS both days. We and the others. Tested or quizzed each other. On stuff and made sure we knew what would be coming. Obviously that didn't help me. I tried to explain my past experience as playing cop on TheRevolutionGaming servers. And how I had months of "cop play," on those. 

There are cops you see on the servers. Who don't even seem to know what they are doing half the time. Reason is. They can memorize stuff for a little bit go into a interview and pass it but yet fail at it in-game. Me on the other hand. I'm a hands on learner. Always been, threw school I had issues with test and ect. Threw the fact I could never learn from just reading something and just going at it. And y'all need ot understand that some people just can't pass it for that soul reason. 

Now I understand that y'all made it "harder" to get into the APD since y'all have the bad cops that sneak by. And I for one am not one of those, "bad cops." I've played for months as a cop and know what  I am doing. For y'all to base if the person is cop material or not off a interview on some questions you learn as playing a cop. And or memorizing the handbook. Is lame. What I'm saying is that there should be another way to see if they are cop material or not. Who does it hurt if you pass someone who missed a question of two on the interview? No one, why because you watch over them a little bit more carefully. If they fail to meet the standards. Then remove them. It's something we do at work. We hire someone, and give them a chance. Even if there new to it. And you know I was one of those people. And threw working there for 6 months. I'm not one of the best employees. And I think y'all should give other peoples chances like that. If they don't seem like cop material at all. In the interview. Then don't give them a chance. But I know for a fact. When I was in my interview I was funny and confident. Made it for the interviewer. All and all I hope a Admin reads this and understands what I am saying. 

Sincerely, Ben Dover

i somewhat agree...i am one of those that you give me a test and il'l fuck it up gaurenteed...put me in the field and i'l out perform most of them...there are those like myself who do have learning difficuties in areas like this but when they have to put it in practice its a completely different story, they usually triumph...

• Like 1

I also somewhat agree, I think that if there were enough higher ups, every new deputy should spend at least an hour "shadowing" a corporal or higher and having the corporal or higher watch and teach him instead of "ok training done now go have fun in kavala!" Or have deputies leave right after training or not even do training. But since there isn't a structure like that the best thing that can be done is what's being done. The rules for cop specifically a deputy are very simple if you already know basic server rules (and you shouldn't even be applying for cop if you don't know those). Granted there are the people who are "street smart" vs the "book smart" but maybe then just as a civ ask to shadow any cop. There are plenty who are willing so give ridealongs. As for letting everyone in and see if they know the rules or to let them learn as they go, that first of all opens the issue that there are enough cops who don't know the rules as you yourself stated, and that the new officers would be very prone to unknowingly break rules thus ruining others play time.

Tl;dr: ridealong as a civ if you want hands on learning.

Some people are bad at tests period, im scared of taking my evaluation even though i know that hand book by heart!

i've been a welder for 15+ years...ask me a set of theory questions about it and i will get them wrong...give me the gun and and i weld flawless...

• Like 1

I wouldn't say this was a good idea. A Deputy needs to be able to show they know *some* rules before they're allowed to act as a Deputy. 

I think Payne's idea is best, find an Officer who you like and ask if you can shadow him. Ask questions, watch how they do things and learn. But don't expect to be given the position of Deputy without proving yourself. 

It hurts the APD because those rusty miss one or two questions you think are no big deal could be major rule violations that result in a ban or major compensation for one party. If you can't simply remember a few rules the chances you succeed as a cop are slim which is why you have the crap cops.

• Like 1

It hurts the APD because those rusty miss one or two questions you think are no big deal could be major rule violations that result in a ban or major compensation for one party. If you can't simply remember a few rules the chances you succeed as a cop are slim which is why you have the crap cops.

This ...

Olympus has specific sets of rules for a reason.  It is a better server than every other server I have played, simply because of RP.  Like the Ole' Dr. said, if you miss a couple of questions it may not seem like a big deal, but it could be something major that could potentially get you a ban/blacklist.  

So today I did my second interview for my APD application. I failed both. However tho. I felt the system they use had flaws. I Then tried to speak to one of the moderators. We were having a civil conversation. Until one of the Admins (Travis). Came down and instantly started to be a dick. He dropped the he's a higher up card. And didn't let anyone speak, pretty much his word was final. It honestly was pissing my off but I stayed calm. And was nice. I was pointing out stuff life. "How some people will learn better for playing as a cop. Prior to just reading the APD handbook ( I did read it, 3 times.) And yet I failed my test. While in the TS both days. We and the others. Tested or quizzed each other. On stuff and made sure we knew what would be coming. Obviously that didn't help me. I tried to explain my past experience as playing cop on TheRevolutionGaming servers. And how I had months of "cop play," on those. 

There are cops you see on the servers. Who don't even seem to know what they are doing half the time. Reason is. They can memorize stuff for a little bit go into a interview and pass it but yet fail at it in-game. Me on the other hand. I'm a hands on learner. Always been, threw school I had issues with test and ect. Threw the fact I could never learn from just reading something and just going at it. And y'all need ot understand that some people just can't pass it for that soul reason. 

Now I understand that y'all made it "harder" to get into the APD since y'all have the bad cops that sneak by. And I for one am not one of those, "bad cops." I've played for months as a cop and know what  I am doing. For y'all to base if the person is cop material or not off a interview on some questions you learn as playing a cop. And or memorizing the handbook. Is lame. What I'm saying is that there should be another way to see if they are cop material or not. Who does it hurt if you pass someone who missed a question of two on the interview? No one, why because you watch over them a little bit more carefully. If they fail to meet the standards. Then remove them. It's something we do at work. We hire someone, and give them a chance. Even if there new to it. And you know I was one of those people. And threw working there for 6 months. I'm not one of the best employees. And I think y'all should give other peoples chances like that. If they don't seem like cop material at all. In the interview. Then don't give them a chance. But I know for a fact. When I was in my interview I was funny and confident. Made it for the interviewer. All and all I hope a Admin reads this and understands what I am saying. 

Sincerely, Ben Dover

Since I was the Mod that was down there trying to discuss the issue with you and your fellow failie I feel its ok for me to respond to you.

I want to first say, that arguing with me does not a civil conversation make.  At times you were less argumentative then others, but the conversation was by no means civil from yourself and the other individual who failed.  Not to mention that I'd already told you to stop arguing about your failure with the SGTs after I realized that they were spending an inordinate amount of time sitting in the room which we had moved those who had failed the interview.

The head for APD, Travis, entered the room and listened to you and your compatriot "heatedly discuss" your inability to pass the simple test that was given to you, decided that I should not be subjected to your attitudes any longer and then stepped in and informed you both of how it was and how it has been for 7 months.  He only got uppity when you both tried to interrupt and talk over him.

The fact that you and the other individuals were unable to review and retain a simple bit of information which we use as a starting point, or baseline knowledge for the Deputy rank in APD is necessary so that we don't have to instruct you on everything.  Its bad enough when we have people who do pass start providing miss information once they get in the game as it creates a huge snowball effect where all of a sudden no one remembers what they were supposed to be doing with in the rules.

I'll admit that I have been away from doing interviews for awhile.  I'll also admit that most of the applicant Deputies and even those that have passed interviews given by me would agree that I am one of the more difficult testers on staff.  Some staff are more lenient.  My personal belief is that if you want to be a part of a whitelisted group then you need to show and put the effort into learning the material provided, in this case the APD Handbook and Ticket Guide.  If you are unwilling to do so, then why should we be willing to whitelist you?

Failing the test is just as much of a test as the interview itself is.  And you failed that too.  If you get like this because you fail the test, then how are you going to be able to deal with the shit RDM'ers or combat loggers or anyone who gives you attitude or claims you've broken the rules?  Are you going to fly off the handle with them as well?  

Anyway, based on your performance last night and your post it appears that Travis made the correct decision to not allow you to apply to APD again.

There are cops you see on the servers. Who don't even seem to know what they are doing half the time.

over the last few days there has been alot of evaluations going on to deal with this..

ps..you also say 

Who does it hurt if you pass someone who missed a question of two on the interview? 

but would this not go with what you said in my 1st quote  Deputy not knowing what they are doing :/

i mean you say "who dose it hurt" the person who gets hurt is the one getting falsely charges or processed or even searched not knowing 1 thing could make a big deal ingame

Look fella the tests aren't easy I'll admit that but you ruined everything when you argued and failed to comply with the result I wish you the best of luck if you leave because of this and if you don't I hope to take you hostage:). I failed my test like 2 times before I got on the force and I understand why it's so hard. 1) People can't follow rules 2) People can't RP no one wants a cop who won't follow rules and tase right away, nor does anyone want a cop who reads charges off a list and doesn't even ask you why you did this and did that. Even tho the interview doesn't get the RP part into play it gets the rules in and I wish the interview included RP because not going to lie lots of cops don't RP and just read charges off a list. I hope you understand now why you failed and why you aren't on the force. this comes from the kindness of my heart and I think I spelled lots of stuff wrong. Enjoy your life in Altis fella

Look fella the tests aren't easy I'll admit that but you ruined everything when you argued and failed to comply with the result I wish you the best of luck if you leave because of this and if you don't I hope to take you hostage:). I failed my test like 2 times before I got on the force and I understand why it's so hard. 1) People can't follow rules 2) People can't RP no one wants a cop who won't follow rules and tase right away, nor does anyone want a cop who reads charges off a list and doesn't even ask you why you did this and did that. Even tho the interview doesn't get the RP part into play it gets the rules in and I wish the interview included RP because not going to lie lots of cops don't RP and just read charges off a list. I hope you understand now why you failed and why you aren't on the force. this comes from the kindness of my heart and I think I spelled lots of stuff wrong. Enjoy your life in Altis fella

I had also played on the server The Revolution Gaming prior to Olympus, and I have to say the system that Olympus as set up here is much better.It is a simple test that you have to pass, it isn't even really hard, if you have a little common sense and read the handbook then you should be fine and shouldn't have any issues with the test. And if you did have hours logged on Revolution Gaming as cop like you say you did, you should be fine. The rules between the server are practically the same. The only difference is how lethals work and that on Revolution they don't have a wave system that the cops need to follow. If you truly want to be part of the APD you should have no issue with learning the rules.

Here's the thing, The handbook questions are easy. Total easy simple stuff. If you fail on that, In my opinion, quite frankly you don't deserve to be a cop. there's more rules to the APD that aren't in the Handbook and come later on, but all the questions you are asked in the Deputy test are simple, it's a simple competency marker, if you don't end up above that marker, you are not at that point competent enough to be a cop. Go read it. Simple.

I mean. I think the Shadowing thing would be a great Idea. As an R&R I'm around cops a lot mostly when there arresting people in the parking area of Kavala. I see so many cops break rules or do things there not suppost to do. I mean they are doing there Job of arresting criminals but not by the rule book.

over the last few days there has been alot of evaluations going on to deal with this..

ps..you also say 

but would this not go with what you said in my 1st quote  Deputy not knowing what they are doing :/

i mean you say "who dose it hurt" the person who gets hurt is the one getting falsely charges or processed or even searched not knowing 1 thing could make a big deal ingame

By letting people threw who seem like material. Like for example. During my first interview. Kratos said he really wanted me to get threw. Stuff like that. And it's to let people who aren't good at memorizing stuff. To get to "shadow," along with someone. And get to learn that way.

To Jaden

From what Travis said, Blizzard and I. Can never be cops. Over me expressing my opinion. Kinda lame. But ok.

To elberate on it more. If you miss a majority of the questions. Then don't allow even the shadowing. But for example me. I missed 2 MAYBE 3. But even then it stuff I would learn while on the job. In-addition. How I work is. I can't explain to you how to do something. But I can do it. Like all the cop rules. You put me on the spot and ask me questions. Sure i'll know the staple. But that's it. You start making scenarios up that make it kinda hard to answer. I might get it i might not. But put me in the situation in-game. i'll nail it. Idk but that's how I work and I thinks it's unfair to allow people who can memorize for a little bit. Go do the test past. And then go in as a cop. And fail completely. 

Since I was the Mod that was down there trying to discuss the issue with you and your fellow failie I feel its ok for me to respond to you.

I want to first say, that arguing with me does not a civil conversation make.  At times you were less argumentative then others, but the conversation was by no means civil from yourself and the other individual who failed.  Not to mention that I'd already told you to stop arguing about your failure with the SGTs after I realized that they were spending an inordinate amount of time sitting in the room which we had moved those who had failed the interview.

The head for APD, Travis, entered the room and listened to you and your compatriot "heatedly discuss" your inability to pass the simple test that was given to you, decided that I should not be subjected to your attitudes any longer and then stepped in and informed you both of how it was and how it has been for 7 months.  He only got uppity when you both tried to interrupt and talk over him.

The fact that you and the other individuals were unable to review and retain a simple bit of information which we use as a starting point, or baseline knowledge for the Deputy rank in APD is necessary so that we don't have to instruct you on everything.  Its bad enough when we have people who do pass start providing miss information once they get in the game as it creates a huge snowball effect where all of a sudden no one remembers what they were supposed to be doing with in the rules.

I'll admit that I have been away from doing interviews for awhile.  I'll also admit that most of the applicant Deputies and even those that have passed interviews given by me would agree that I am one of the more difficult testers on staff.  Some staff are more lenient.  My personal belief is that if you want to be a part of a whitelisted group then you need to show and put the effort into learning the material provided, in this case the APD Handbook and Ticket Guide.  If you are unwilling to do so, then why should we be willing to whitelist you?

Failing the test is just as much of a test as the interview itself is.  And you failed that too.  If you get like this because you fail the test, then how are you going to be able to deal with the shit RDM'ers or combat loggers or anyone who gives you attitude or claims you've broken the rules?  Are you going to fly off the handle with them as well?  

Anyway, based on your performance last night and your post it appears that Travis made the correct decision to not allow you to apply to APD again.

You say, that I have attitude. But all I did is express my opinion. Did I yell or anything, no. I was claim and collected. I pointed out stuff that I saw fit. And I deal with RDM'ers and loggers all the time as a Vigi. So it's expected it will happen as a cop as well. Trust me I'm one of the nicest and funniest people you will meet.  All i'm saying is let me prove you I know what i'm doing. Y'all blew me off after my interview. And when I tried to explain my self. Y'all could careless. You gotta understand that.

Side note, why ban me off TS? The reason is this. "Love you, please write the rules." Like why? I did nothing to instigate a TS ban. Ty

You say, that I have attitude. But all I did is express my opinion. Did I yell or anything, no. I was claim and collected. I pointed out stuff that I saw fit. And I deal with RDM'ers and loggers all the time as a Vigi. So it's expected it will happen as a cop as well. Trust me I'm one of the nicest and funniest people you will meet.  All i'm saying is let me prove you I know what i'm doing. Y'all blew me off after my interview. And when I tried to explain my self. Y'all could careless. You gotta understand that.

Side note, why ban me off TS? The reason is this. "Love you, please write the rules." Like why? I did nothing to instigate a TS ban. Ty

You and a number of other people got it into their heads that they deserve to be APD.  So you decided to argue with the SGTs when they informed you that you'd failed.  It doesn't matter why you failed.  As far as the testing goes, if you got one question wrong you can fail the entire interview.

You expressed your frustration with the test in a very heated way.  You raised your voice which just isn't necessary.  You argued.  You gave the SGTs, myself and Travis attitude because we didn't agree with your opinion on how we do the testing.

As was mentioned to you we've been using this system for bringing in APD applicants for about 7 months.  Its worked quite well.  This particular group of applicants were the first group to complain about the system.  But we're not going to change the system because it weeded 15 people out of the process because they didn't learn some basic tenants of the APD Handbook.

You need to realize that we literally see an average of 20 people each night Monday to Friday who have applied to APD.  That doesn't include the people that had their applications denied.  That's a total average of 100 people per week that the SGTs and LTs have to put through the paces of the interview.  Are we still short on APD members?  YES, forsure.  But we aren't going to compromise the system that has been designed to weed out those who don't really care about learning the rules that we must follow.

As for your TS ban, I expect it had something to do with the fact that Travis didn't want to have to continue to listen to you arguing and wanted to ensure that none of the rest of the Senior APD or staff were subjected to further discussions on the matter either.  I suggest you submit a Ban appeal and explain how your going to drop the subject.

This topic has now run its course and will be closed.