APD hostage situations

Rules regarding hostage situations are kinda dumb. For example if you kidnap an APD and try to do a hostage situation with them the police can simple ignore your request and then stout can’t do anything with them... you can’t rob them because the rules say if you tried to do a hostage situation you aren't allowed to rob them...  I feel that if police decide to ignore your request for a negotiator then you should be able to do anything you want with the hostages as if you never attempted to do a hostage situation with them.

Doing a hostage situation has inherent risk to it either the cops don’t show up so you are unable to rob them or they show up but the end up failing and you get arrested. Once you have a cop in restraints you could decide to do the safe thing which is take their gear or call a hostage situation and try and get even more gear. It’s a risk reward system that I don’t see a need to change.

5 hours ago, CocoisDead said:

You are able to shoot them in the head if cops dont show up. If you really want the gear just rob them but if you dont like them and want a reason to kill them hostage situation. 🙂 

This is the answer.

There are some bad police officers - when I was arrested they did not read me my Miranda rights and kept kicking me in the legs in the jail cell. One threatened to rape. Thankfully the supervisor realized this and let me off, clearing my charges. 

• 3 months later...

Rules state we as APD must value the hostage's life. However there is NOTHING in the Olympus Server Rules or APD Handbook stating what kidnappers can exactly negotiate for or what the life of a innocent hostage is worth. This breeds corruption and it screams failrp when you finally get APD to respond but then they refuse any and all trades for the hostage's life. Only thing it says is you can ask for a pardon for a bounty lower then $1mil.

PS: Today a gang of 5+ tried to hold a hostage for leverage to stop the APD from responding to Pharma. Nothing in rules tell us not to respond nor should it technically stop APD unless a Hostage's life is worth more then the run.

Any staff want to look into this at all?

• Lead Map Designer
7 hours ago, Tom McCormack said:

Rules state we as APD must value the hostage's life. However there is NOTHING in the Olympus Server Rules or APD Handbook stating what kidnappers can exactly negotiate for or what the life of a innocent hostage is worth. This breeds corruption and it screams failrp when you finally get APD to respond but then they refuse any and all trades for the hostage's life. Only thing it says is you can ask for a pardon for a bounty lower then $1mil.

PS: Today a gang of 5+ tried to hold a hostage for leverage to stop the APD from responding to Pharma. Nothing in rules tell us not to respond nor should it technically stop APD unless a Hostage's life is worth more then the run.

Any staff want to look into this at all?

EeySJTh.png

The reason the handbook does not explicitly state what can be negotiated is to allow more roleplay between the negotiators, it only states what cannot be negotiated for.  
Also, do you not think demanding the APD not respond to a Pharma/Bank etc. is unreasonable, especially when uncontested it is pretty much a money printer?

3 hours ago, Zeuse said:

The reason the handbook does not explicitly state what can be negotiated is to allow more roleplay between the negotiators, it only states what cannot be negotiated for.  
Also, do you not think demanding the APD not respond to a Pharma/Bank etc. is unreasonable, especially when uncontested it is pretty much a money printer?

I never said they should not respond so don't put words in my mouth.

And because there is no minimum/maximum value of a hostage:

Kidnappers are unaware of what the maximum value of their captives and what they could ask for and APD will refuse to pay amounts or trade gear unless there is a minimum/maximum value officially listed. I know because i've been in situations where people have asked for cash alternative and APD have said there is no real price listed etc.

• Lead Map Designer
24 minutes ago, Tom McCormack said:

I never said they should not respond so don't put words in my mouth.

And because there is no minimum/maximum value of a hostage:

Kidnappers are unaware of what the maximum value of their captives and what they could ask for and APD will refuse to pay amounts or trade gear unless there is a minimum/maximum value officially listed. I know because i've been in situations where people have asked for cash alternative and APD have said there is no real price listed etc.

There is no minimum/maximum value because it is left at the discretion of the negotiator/highest ranking officer at the situation.  As long as they are making a real attempt to negotiate then there is no problem.  

Also, "unless a Hostage's life is worth more then the run." is you saying they should not respond.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Zeuse said:

There is no minimum/maximum value because it is left at the discretion of the negotiator/highest ranking officer at the situation.  As long as they are making a real attempt to negotiate then there is no problem.  

Also, "unless a Hostage's life is worth more then the run." is you saying they should not respond.

Exactly my point. If there are literal amounts numbered then we know what we can negotiate for without people being unsure of what is fair to say yes and no to and if it continues to be unspecified then good chance players may not make a real attempt to come to terms with the opposite party.

I never said they should not respond, its simple fact that negotiations to take place that both negotiators have to meet up. Can't do that if truck is still being hauled to drop off in a persuit while they demand a negotiator. Really unclear siatuation of what we should do there but hey, if we had every situation written down then yes the SOPs would be another 6,000 words long perhaps.