Improving Server Bans: A Call for Conversation and Understanding

26 minutes ago, Noble said:

Often times, many staff members don't want to talk in TeamSpeak because they can get a clear idea of the situation from the ticket and dispute alone. If you VDM an airdrop vehicle and tell the kid to kick rocks and suck your nuts in the dispute and then you make a  ban app saying how sorry you are and asking to be heard out in TeamSpeak, most  of staff wont give you the time of day. On the contrary, many times people break rules and somehow (beyond me) smooth talk an admin to lift the ban even after it was a clear, textbook rule break with nothing but toxic responses on a dispute. This leaves the player that created the report with a sense that we don't care about rule breaks and enables more people to break rules because "i can just go in TS and get it lifted". Enabling behavior like that is bad for the server. Best thing to do is don't break rules!

this^. If we enable you to talk in TS instead of denying your ticket, the banned player gets even more mad because after 30 mins of trying every trick in the book (mental health gf broke up with you dog died cat died uncle died and you lost internet drug addict etc etc) to try and get unbanned. Then they pull the "oh well ill comp him now" well of course anyone who is banned will comp NOW to play once you get banned its too far past the comp stage. After all that, if i tell the guy im not reducing or lifting, he gets pissed that he waited and told me his story. Usually ends with "shit server shit staff goodbye" and a disconnect from TS. Its a lose lose

Talking to someone in Teamspeak does not mean they get an unban. It could simply be you explaining how they broke the rule, explaining what they would need to do in the future and end it there.

The main people you want to talk to in Teamspeak are the newer players on the server, the experienced players with thousands of hours who know how to deal with a ban appeal without needing to speak in Teamspeak. Obviously speaking helps you articulate things a lot better so it could be beneficial for both parties, however, the newer players should be talked to and explained the rules. Actually, teach them what they did was wrong and if you feel like they deserve a reduction or lift then you do so. You aren't forced to reduce or lift a ban just because you talked to someone.

As for the people who think they can just get it lifted by comping someone. That is once again up to that staff member. You could simply tell them to kick rocks its too late, or you could tell them to message the person that reported them, they can try and work it out again like a dispute and if that person is fine with being comped for that individual to be unbanned/reduced ban then I see no issue in that. Since then it would be the reporter who is the person deciding if they stay banned or not, and don't get the bad taste of this:

17 hours ago, Element_ said:

Now I remember why I barely report anyone, because they never get actually banned, just a time out for 1-2 hours of sitting in TS waiting to appeal the moment they actually do.

There are plenty of people on the server who think they are in the right until someone else actually proves them wrong. @ Space Ranger  (not throwing you under the bus, just using you as an example). Something happened with him and a guy on civ, they ended up in Support and I told Space that what happened was VERY scuffed and really edging the rule. Space thought he was safe and didn't wanna comp so he didn't, and the civ put in an IA for the situation. Can't remember exactly how it ended, but pretty sure the guy got his vigi rank back and all that.

Now that I think about it I don't think I ever saw you do a ban appeal in TS, but you were also the person to not touch a ban appeal until the ban got auto lifted sooooo...easy tickets I guess ^_^

• Head Admin
20 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

Yes.  Such as when @ Grandma Gary  opted to protect @ CaloomClark 's Ghosthawk after CTF's was taken for combat store, and after players have had theirs granted as comp from logs alone, yet alone visual contact.  

Yes, conversations are also important.  If they were all willing to have conversations about the matter, I could have informed @ Grandma Gary he was unfairly applying the rules, and thus, could have avoided him making a huge mistake that he'd have to double down on.   

He lost his hawk for combat storing >.>

Comping it to someone who was never even in the fight would still have been an idiotic move though ^_^

• +1 1
  • STFU 1
1 hour ago, Grandma Gary said:

Comping it to someone who was never even in the fight would still have been an idiotic move though ^_^

Shut the fuck up retard u took it as you cried when u lost an orca 

4 hours ago, Noble said:

Often times, many staff members don't want to talk in TeamSpeak because they can get a clear idea of the situation from the ticket and dispute alone. If you VDM an airdrop vehicle and tell the kid to kick rocks and suck your nuts in the dispute and then you make a  ban app saying how sorry you are and asking to be heard out in TeamSpeak, most  of staff wont give you the time of day. On the contrary, many times people break rules and somehow (beyond me) smooth talk an admin to lift the ban even after it was a clear, textbook rule break with nothing but toxic responses on a dispute. This leaves the player that created the report with a sense that we don't care about rule breaks and enables more people to break rules because "i can just go in TS and get it lifted". Enabling behavior like that is bad for the server. Best thing to do is don't break rules!

this^. If we enable you to talk in TS instead of denying your ticket, the banned player gets even more mad because after 30 mins of trying every trick in the book (mental health gf broke up with you dog died cat died uncle died and you lost internet drug addict etc etc) to try and get unbanned. Then they pull the "oh well ill comp him now" well of course anyone who is banned will comp NOW to play once you get banned its too far past the comp stage. After all that, if i tell the guy im not reducing or lifting, he gets pissed that he waited and told me his story. Usually ends with "shit server shit staff goodbye" and a disconnect from TS. Its a lose lose

Or u could just unban the player and admin comp the kid that lost something when it is an honest mistake or gray area so no one loses anything and everyone is happy. I guess you could just sit on your high horse all day and complain about your volunteer role instead though

• Admin
2 minutes ago, batGooseCan said:

Or u could just unban the player and admin comp the kid that lost something when it is an honest mistake or gray area so no one loses anything and everyone is happy. I guess you could just sit on your high horse all day and complain about your volunteer role instead though

Im not complaining in the sliest im just giving insight also "honest mistakes" are 1 in 100

8 hours ago, Grandma Gary said:

It was taken for an entirely separate incident like  a month after the fact, and I'm pretty sus about even that being as his cash went up like 30 mil the same day he lost it 😕