Improving FPS

is there any threads on improving fps within Olympus? I don’t have the best computer but can still run this game pretty well but In some situations with smoke, kav, and especially TDM I lag very hard and just die. I run my graphics on “fast” in the y menu so my rendering distance is pretty low but is there any more tips on how to improve fps. Anything will help thank you

PS don’t say get a better pc because I’m working on it XD

• Like 1

use fast terrain and set it as low as you can configure. tbh this is personally the best option, but turning your overall down in your video settings also helps. 

I noticed when using window borderless if you haven't already also gives you less lag. might just be a placebo

and finally, turning down ur other settings like HDR and VSYNC also helps a tad.. make sure ur drivers are up-to-date

if anything it depends how shit u want ur game to look like in sake of frames. if you don't mind playing Minecraft for 100 FPS then by all means. 

I know there are a couple YT videos on how to optimize certain settings but also make sure your monitor is running the proper settings too. I have had a 144hz monitor for months and my pc settings were only set to 60hz by default lol

1 hour ago, Dmoney said:

is there any threads on improving fps within Olympus? I don’t have the best computer but can still run this game pretty well but In some situations with smoke, kav, and especially TDM I lag very hard and just die. I run my graphics on “fast” in the y menu so my rendering distance is pretty low but is there any more tips on how to improve fps. Anything will help thank you

PS don’t say get a better pc because I’m working on it XD

On the launcher in the parameters set all of those up, like the amount of cores you can use, etc. it will help a lot.

as for the settings you just need to play around with it, having the settings on “low” doesn’t always help you with fps and performance in Arma. I can’t remember exactly how it goes but something like if you set it all to low it focuses more to your CPU where as if its high it splits the stress a bit more between your CPU & GPU (I could be wrong It’s been a while and I can’t fully remember).

-borderless windows will absolutely help, and when I used to play fullscreen my game always crashed.

-when you log in press f5 or f6 (can’t remember which) this will turn of texture bugs for you and can help a lot.

-try to match your view distance in Olympus settings to the Arma view distance settings as best as you can.

-when you don’t need to be looking very far, in a city, etc. turn on fast terrain. That will increase your frames substantially.

It is a very CPU intensive game so if you don’t have a good CPU that is most likely your bottle neck. 

there is a lot more but yeah

• +1 1
31 minutes ago, Polly said:

I noticed when using window borderless if you haven't already also gives you less lag. might just be a placebo

this is because your refresh rate isnt set in your arma cfg

• Hmm 1
  • Lead Developer

Got some things cooking for FPS and general stability for the next update, Hopefully the people who run the game on toasters see a significant improvement, but its kinda hard to tell exactly what will change with different hardware

• Like 2
  • BlessUp 1
21 minutes ago, Fraali said:

Got some things cooking for FPS and general stability for the next update, Hopefully the people who run the game on toasters see a significant improvement, but its kinda hard to tell exactly what will change with different hardware

As long as @ Milo has nothing to do with it we should all be fine. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, ben- said:

this is because your refresh rate isnt set in your arma cfg

not even arma just windows display, my monitor was only set for 60hz not 144hz

image.png?ex=66c14220&is=66bff0a0&hm=ecb

i talked with a few people they didnt even notice this on their pc's either

• Haha 1

Documents > arma 3 > arma3.cfg set 'GPU_MaxFramesAhead' to 1

Edit: you'll also need to set the above in your GPU control panel

Disable shadows and consider using PPAA over FSAA (post-process anti-aliasing instead of full screen anti-aliasing which is a lot more intenstive, you can't make use of the alpha to coverage for better trees / bushes though but saves a lot of performance, I personally use CMAA)

Set your view distance to somewhere around 2000 as you should never really need more than that and use fast terrain for when PVPing

• Like 2
  • +1 2