Switch from HDDto SSD

Phroqg

Okay so I am going to switch from my HDD to a new 500gb SSD, I was wondering if I was able to reset my HDD, unplug it, plug in my new SSD and fire up my pc and install windows 10 and all be fine, is this possible to do? 

When switching over to SSD is there anything I will need to back up on arma or will everything be saved through steam etc and is there any important files worth backing up?  

1 hour ago, 9mm said:

So is it just :

reset HDD to factory

unplug HDD

plug cables from HDD into SSD

start up pc

install windows

Would that process work? After plugging in SSD the HDD won’t be plugged in any longer 

After reseting your hdd you will loose everything, including windows..install windows on the SSD and make. I could tell you you will run out of space and that you should make the hdd a secondary drive to keep bigger files on. Because 500gb will eventually run out

48 minutes ago, Metro said:

After reseting your hdd you will loose everything, including windows..install windows on the SSD and make. I could tell you you will run out of space and that you should make the hdd a secondary drive to keep bigger files on. Because 500gb will eventually run out

Yeah I was planning on doing that, I just want to get a SSD up and running with just steam, TeamSpeak and arma 3 on because that's literally all I play and do atm.

26 minutes ago, 9mm said:

Yeah I was planning on doing that, I just want to get a SSD up and running with just steam, TeamSpeak and arma 3 on because that's literally all I play and do atm.

Once you start doing more stuff on your PC, whether it be work or school related, the 500GB won’t be enough. If you put in the SSD, you can choose the installation path for literally anything and you can put your Arma and TS on there.

My mindset was the same as yours until I started working with Blender and learned a lot of coding.

4 minutes ago, Icy said:

Once you start doing more stuff on your PC, whether it be work or school related, the 500GB won’t be enough. If you put in the SSD, you can choose the installation path for literally anything and you can put your Arma and TS on there.

My mindset was the same as yours until I started working with Blender and learned a lot of coding.

I know but is it not a good idea to install windows 10 on the SSD instead of having everything apart from TS and Arma on the HDD so that my PC overall loading times are better?

I wanted Windows 10, Arma and TeamSpeak on the SSD so that my system and Arma is faster, and then have the HDD as a large storage unit for all my 'Side' shit.

4 minutes ago, 9mm said:

I know but is it not a good idea to install windows 10 on the SSD instead of having everything apart from TS and Arma on the HDD so that my PC overall loading times are better?

I wanted Windows 10, Arma and TeamSpeak on the SSD so that my system and Arma is faster, and then have the HDD as a large storage unit for all my 'Side' shit.

How I see it? Put Windows on the SSD, it’s what I do and it’s never failed me, but take this as advice and not absolute.

To back my advice, here’s an excerpt from an article I found relating to the management of SSD space:

“Your SSD should hold your Windows system files, installed programs, and any games you're currently playing. If you have a mechanical hard drive playing wingman in your PC, it shouldstore your large media files, productivity files, and any files you access infrequently.”

Hope this helps!

1 minute ago, Icy said:

How I see it? Put Windows on the SSD, it’s what I do and it’s never failed me, but take this as advice and not absolute.

To back my advice, here’s an excerpt from an article I found relating to the management of SSD space:

“Your SSD should hold your Windows system files, installed programs, and any games you're currently playing. If you have a mechanical hard drive playing wingman in your PC, it shouldstore your large media files, productivity files, and any files you access infrequently.”

Hope this helps!

Yess thank you that's what I was looking for, thank you for your advice I now understand how to manage everything accordingly.

@CommanderSuki This is why I came here after Google.

How do I move Windows 10 to a new SSD?
To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Open EaseUS Todo backup. https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html
  2. Choose Clone from the left sidebar.
  3. Click Disk Clone.
  4. Choose your current hard drive with Windows 10 installed on as the source, and choose your SSD as the target.
  5. Check Optimize for SSD (this assures that your partition is correctly 'formatted' for the SSD)
  6. Click Next

Also you may want to do a disk cleanup including system files if you decide to it this way.

1 minute ago, QKSILVR73 said:
How do I move Windows 10 to a new SSD?
To do so, follow these steps:
  1. Open EaseUS Todo backup. https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html
  2. Choose Clone from the left sidebar.
  3. Click Disk Clone.
  4. Choose your current hard drive with Windows 10 installed on as the source, and choose your SSD as the target.
  5. Check Optimize for SSD (this assures that your partition is correctly 'formatted' for the SSD)
  6. Click Next.

How am I going to do these steps if the HDD is not in my pc at the same time the SSD is? I am going to unplug my HDD and with the cables it was connected to, connect to the SSD, and then install windows etc. Will this work?

Just now, QKSILVR73 said:

plug it in to another sata port and power cable. Unless this is a laptop

I understand I need to buy a new SATA cable to connect the SSD to the motherboard but where do I find the power cable? Do I need to buy one, or is there on already in my pc, I don't know? 

1 minute ago, QKSILVR73 said:

There should be an extra one. If not, unplug one from a dvd/cd drive and use that

Okay, so I need to buy a SATA cable to link from the motherboard to the SSD, and then use a power cable from the power supply and connect that to the SSD, and then use the steps you linked in order to transfer the OS across. Thanks man, hard drives etc is new to me I'm not familiar with them that's all so its kind of hard to understand but I will hopefully get this working. Thank you all for your help.

3 minutes ago, QKSILVR73 said:

yes, correct. you may be able to just unhook one from you cd drive and do that too if you want to get started. You will still need one though if you want to use the old HDD eventually

So considering I don't use the CD drive can I take the Power cable from there? But will I not need to change anything in the bios so it recognises that its a SSD and no longer a CD drive? 

Edited by 9mm
5 minutes ago, 9mm said:

So considering I don't use the CD drive can I take the Power cable from there? But will I not need to change anything in the bios so it recognises that its a SSD and no longer a CD drive? 

you are just changing the power cord it will recognize whats being powered it won't even think of it as a cd drive

1 hour ago, Kamikaze said:

you are just changing the power cord it will recognize whats being powered it won't even think of it as a cd drive

Okay

1 hour ago, John Wayne said:

Connect the ssd and set it to default boot on your bios, install windows and then copy paste files you want to keep from the hdd to the ssd…

So I just move Arma from my HDD onto the SSD and then migrate windows over to the SSD and then use the HDD as storage for shit?

19 minutes ago, QKSILVR73 said:

You can, but make sure you install Steam first, then just migrate your steam apps over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmyqtIAt14

Okay thank you for the help, I should hopefully be getting this process done soon and Arma should run smoother and faster.