Olympus is pretty amazing!

Take a second to really think about what Olympus is.  Olympus is an amazing community full of great people!  On the days I cannot play I find myself checking the forms multiple times a day to see whats going on.  Olympus, IMO, is a very dynamic and special place.  Ive been playing online for over 15 years and none of the other communities I have come across came even close to providing what Olympus does.  I dont understand why there is so much animosity and frustration out there these days.  Poseidon releases updates for the server on a regular basis, which means there are always things to look forward to.  Hades spends countless hours reading and responding to what people say on the forms.  Odin and Ace do their best to run their respective departments.  The rest of the admins spend a ridiculous amount of time and effort working on tickets that people take the time to submit.  These services are almost impossible to find anywhere else for free.  Its also amazing that Olympus allows everyone the opportunity to become a moderator, admin, cop, or medic.

As far as not listening, many of the changes that take place are at the request of the community.  Many people say that the admins are not listening, which couldnt be farther from the truth.  People just need to accept the fact that not every single idea or suggestion can be implemented.  Not everyone is going to be happy, no matter how many changes are made, such is life.

I hate to say it but a lot of people in this community are being insanely ungrateful as of late.  I get that things happen and people feel wronged.  That sucks, it really does.  Its understandable to want to vent to a degree.  Nothing is more valuable then the time we invest into doing things that we love and are passionate about.  But, sometimes things happen and there is nothing we can do about it.  We all live and we learn and we move on.  Personally I love Olympus.  Sure I have felt wronged here.   I have also been put in my place on more then one occasion.  I listened to the advice I was given, I got over it, and I moved on.   I also still think this is an amazing place with truly dedicated people.  Call it ass kissing, call it whatever you want.  

If you have something negative to say please keep it to yourself on this thread.  Every time you want to come on the forms and rant about something that pissed you off take a second to think of the countless hours of fun and entertainment that playing on Olympus has provided for you, for free I might add.  Any money paid toward the server was done willingly as a donation to help the server continue to provide fun and entertainment to all.  Dont hate, appreciate.

• Like 9

Also consider that no one on the Olympus staff gets paid.  They all have dedicated tons of time to try to make Olympus better.  People cannot expect them to take abuse or allow toxic threads to continue to spiral out of control.  I know the threads are on another level right now.  People are very excitable at the moment :l

Wannabe2015, please keep comments like that to yourself.  

• Like 2

Also consider that no one on the Olympus staff gets paid.  They all have dedicated tons of time to try to make Olympus better.  People cannot expect them to take abuse or allow toxic threads to continue to spiral out of control.  I know the threads are on another level right now.  People are very excitable at the moment :l

Wannabe2015, please keep comments like that to yourself.  

Haven't I Dedicated plenty of time to Olympus? If I'm not wrong, I have the most recorded time ever on the server. 

• Civ75795 Minutes
  • Cop33954 Minutes

Yet I'm a nobody. Whelp.

Donations dont equal staff getting paid.  The generosity of people like Ebzekaro have helped Olympus continue to run servers.  Unless you have something productive to say, again, keep it to yourself.

Those times are truly impressive Moob.  I cannot deny the fact that you have a lot of time vested on Olympus and APD.  I cannot comment or speculate as to what happened or why it happened.  Sometimes things just happen.  At the end of the day Ace is in charge of APD and he is the final authority.  Though, I am a firm believer that it is never to late.  Perhaps you guys should get on TS and just talk it out.  Its hard to do the man thing and physically fight it out.  Some of the best friends I have in this world have punched me in the face.  Sometimes guys just need to fight.  Its of course up to both of you to make that happen.

Donations dont equal staff getting paid.  The generosity of people like Ebzekaro have helped Olympus continue to run servers.  Unless you have something productive to say, again, keep it to yourself.

Those times are truly impressive Moob.  I cannot deny the fact that you have a lot of time vested on Olympus and APD.  I cannot comment or speculate as to what happened or why it happened.  Sometimes things just happen.  At the end of the day Ace is in charge of APD and he is the final authority.  Though, I am a firm believer that it is never to late.  Perhaps you guys should get on TS and just talk it out.  Its hard to do the man thing and physically fight it out.  Some of the best friends I have in this world have punched me in the face.  Sometimes guys just need to fight.  Its of course up to both of you to make that happen.

I asked if i could talk to them about what happened to me and the response was <18:23:52>

"Hades": I have no time to talk to you. The amount of stuff you have said multiple times on the forums is to much. You have even been warned for doing it yet you continue to do it. As such you were removed from APD and R&R. It is an unwhitelist not a blaclist however

Its true man, dont throw it all away over a rank dispute, especially if alcohol was involved.  Olympus is great because of two things:  Dedicated staff, and all the bat shit crazy, awesome, players that call Olympus home ;).

Moob, free up your IM so I can send you a message.  

Its true man, dont throw it all away over a rank dispute, especially if alcohol was involved.  Olympus is great because of two things:  Dedicated staff, and all the bat shit crazy, awesome, players that call Olympus home ;).

Moob, free up your IM so I can send you a message.  

tis freed.

Olympus is great but it could be even greater.

The developers and staff should sometimes listen to what we have to say as a community, or perhaps even community polls? Also staff always seem unhappy with their position as they hate dealing with shit. They also look down on us players and dont understand in some situations that olympu DOES mean a lot to them, or even an APD rank means a tremendous amount to them as its what they invest a huge amount of their day into. If a staff got demoted and someone said "well you can earn it back again" it would fucking suck. Im not speaking for myself here btw just for some of the few unhappy people atm.

Heres a fact that I think a lot of people forget.  Olympus only has one owner, Poseidon.  What he says goes.  If he doesn't want something, rest assured, it wont happen.  I have had ideas that, in my opinion, are the most amazing ideas ever conceived.  But, just because I think its amazing, doesn't in fact make it amazing.

Consider another scenario.  If everyone got exactly what we wanted 100% of the time we would all find something else to complain about.  Its human nature.  No matter how good it is we all think it could be better.  Most people dont appreciate what they have until its gone.  Then its often too late.

I get the complaint that things dont always change when people complain.  Sometimes it also just appears that way.  Not all changes take place instantly.  Sometimes we all need to have a little patience.  Be happy that the staff of Olympus do listen to the community.  Nothing says they have to listen or offer any of the services they do.  

I was told something once the curbed my expectations a little. It was something to the extent of, "If its not good enough for you, you are free to go make your own server".  I though about that and realized that I cannot make my own server, nor did I want to.  I wanted to stay at Olympus and do what I could to try and make it better.  So I did.  Id like to think I have improved things, if just a little.  Point being, no one is forced to play here.  People are free to come and go as they please.  Those who truly want change should do what they can to help facilitate change by contributing to the community in a constructive manner.  Everybody has strengths and weaknesses and brings something unique to the community.  Some more unique then others.  Some of ya'all are just freaks, which is not bad.  It dosent matter who you are or what you do.  Everyone is essentially equal while online playing Arma or typing on the forms.  Thers a song out there, you can shine no matter what your made of?  Something like that.  Shine away mother f*@kers!

• Like 1

Heres a fact that I think a lot of people forget.  Olympus only has one owner, Poseidon.  What he says goes.  If he doesn't want something, rest assured, it wont happen.  I have had ideas that, in my opinion, are the most amazing ideas ever conceived.  But, just because I think its amazing, doesn't in fact make it amazing.

Consider another scenario.  If everyone got exactly what we wanted 100% of the time we would all find something else to complain about.  Its human nature.  No matter how good it is we all think it could be better.  Most people dont appreciate what they have until its gone.  Then its often too late.

I get the complaint that things dont always change when people complain.  Sometimes it also just appears that way.  Not all changes take place instantly.  Sometimes we all need to have a little patience.  Be happy that the staff of Olympus do listen to the community.  Nothing says they have to listen or offer any of the services they do.  

I was told something once the curbed my expectations a little. It was something to the extent of, "If its not good enough for you, you are free to go make your own server".  I though about that and realized that I cannot make my own server, nor did I want to.  I wanted to stay at Olympus and do what I could to try and make it better.  So I did.  Id like to think I have improved things, if just a little.  Point being, no one is forced to play here.  People are free to come and go as they please.  Those who truly want change should do what they can to help facilitate change by contributing to the community in a constructive manner.  Everybody has strengths and weaknesses and brings something unique to the community.  Some more unique then others.  Some of ya'all are just freaks, which is not bad.  It dosent matter who you are or what you do.  Everyone is essentially equal while online playing Arma or typing on the forms.  Thers a song out there, you can shine no matter what your made of?  Something like that.  Shine away mother f*@kers!

What are you fucking ghandi?

Olympus is great but it could be even greater.

The developers and staff should sometimes listen to what we have to say as a community, or perhaps even community polls? Also staff always seem unhappy with their position as they hate dealing with shit. They also look down on us players and dont understand in some situations that olympu DOES mean a lot to them, or even an APD rank means a tremendous amount to them as its what they invest a huge amount of their day into. If a staff got demoted and someone said "well you can earn it back again" it would fucking suck. Im not speaking for myself here btw just for some of the few unhappy people atm.

Yes there is always room for improvement and we honstely do try to do this. The staff talk daily about ideas and possible changes that may inprove the server(s). We hear more then you think. Just because we don't act on it or say no doesn't mean we didn't listen to it. There is always a reason why we do something. in most cases a small change will in fact impact alot of other aspects since it is just how Arma works.

The staff aren't unhappy with there roles, we are unhappy when players feel entitled or down right rude about things. We understand that people work to get to certain roles within the game and that is what we want but at the same time people have to understand they will not always get there or won't get there in the time they wish. I've currently got 2 moderators in training and they both would like more but they simply have to wait it out. this same thing applies to APD, R&R and the News Team. I myself have devoted over a year to this server and so I do understand trying to achieve something and it not happening when I want or at all.

To touch base on your example of a staff member being demoted, we have actually done this. The problem was the players got into a mindset after that basically being "fuck it I dont care anymore" when all they had to do was correct the issues and they would have been given another chance.

In the end we do listen, whether you see it or not. The only time you have reached the end is if your permanently banned otherwise anything is still possible.

• Like 1