Olympus Entertainment | Giveaway + 4th of July Sale | PRICE MATCH UPDATED! ×

Roleplay as a Police officer

Recent Revisions to the APD Rules have allowed police to identify you by tilda once again. I would like to point out the flaws I see with this and hear what everyone else thinks for a moment. In addition, I would like answers to each of my questions, respectably. (Stay on topic please, I don't care if you don't like Prae, lets discuss the topic for a moment.) 

1. The ability to basically engage an arrest on sight forces a civilian into fight or flight immediately and completely diminishes the ability to RP a situation almost instantly. If I'm wanted for more than I'd wish to pay and an officer decides to say, "APD Hands up or be tazed, Brennick!" Why would I try and negotiate or explain myself? 

2. Upon being detained, you demand an explanation for how the officer knew your name, you are told by the officer that he saw it was you by the name floating above your head. (I have been told that exact reason by countless officers) Being a LIFE SIMULATOR BY DEFINITION,  how is there a name FLOATING ABOVE MY HEAD? I don't know if that's a new thing, but when I look in the mirror I don't see my name above my head. All sarcasm aside, how is it within roleplay for a police officer, a whitelisted member of the community with 1680 minutes of play and above the age of 16 (as required), for he or she to say I see a name above your head? Furthermore, we come on the server to roleplay and create memories and moments as a community, do we not? That being said how can we expect a NEW PLAYER to follow the rules and RP situations when he sees APD members, people who are supposed to set an example, not Roleplaying to any reasonable degree? 

3. Last and final point, although this one is subjective completely. Myself and the remaining two Prae members DubZ and Joe alike have been on this server since its first week or two of existing. We have seen Admins and founders alike come and go, rise and fall. We have said goodbye to staff whom we cherished for their dedication and selflessness in keeping this amazing community alive. We have done it all, seen it all, been it all and survived through it all. My final question Olympus is this; Why are we backtracking? I mean, we have come SO FAR, yet we're restating the oldest server killing rules in the book. Have some sense. That's all I ask. 

With Love For The Community and Staff Alike,

Brennick

I'll make this simple. The tilde guideline was a good idea, but terribly executed and a horrible thing for the server from a rp standpoint. I'll give you an example:

HI sir, I just tazed you in a massive fight. I see you have a Mk18 on your back. That's illegal. What's your name?

I have no name. 

Lemme check your wallet.

I have no wallet.

Well I'm going to scan your fingerprints and run them.

I burned my fingerprints.

I'll take a dna sample.

I have no DNA. 

*at this point Peter just gets fed up and lethals the ass clown.

*other officers sees this, Peter kills them for being witnesses

*Peter spends 45 minutes deleting gopro footage and dumps the bodies in Kavala

*bodies pollute the water, and kills all the fish

*Nemo dies

*No more Fining Nemo sequel. 

See? Bad RP = No finding Nemo. 

• Like 4

If the suspect RP's with me. I will surely RP back and have a nice conversation with them. I would rather know who they are and RP off of that than sit their for 10 minutes trying to figure out their name in some sort of bullshit fashion. I really don't think the server is backtracking either. If anything the server is moving forward and is doing way better than before. Since the Senior APD made the "change" with the  tilda  guideline I seriously haven't really heard anyone complain about how they got caught and raging about knowing their name and that sort of RP. There are some people who have really great RP stories and want to work with the officers and try there best to  "create memories and moments as a community". Most of the time though the people who complain about RP and Robocop are the people who sit there not having a good story and come up with a bullshit story about "This Weapon was from the War" I need to keep it. 

Overall I would much rather RP with someone about their charges for 10 minutes then try to find out who they are in some random reason that isn't very realistic at all. 

• Like 1

Most experiences I've had since new tilde standards have gone along the lines of cops recognizing my face from wanted posters and stuff like that...

(Which I think is great - It can be a new form of RP if used correctly)

I do agree that there are those civs that give all those BS excuses and don't focus on RPing the ticket to try and get a lower charge.

Personally I enjoyed RPing my ticket more then my identity. So I've just always RP'd out my ticket instead of focusing on my identity. Since officers are tired of people doing the Identity "RP" , they would normally be more lenient on me. It is a win-win.

I still try to Roleplay it, since i'm on the side of things where I think people just instantly knowing you is not great, particularly if your face is covered. I mean officers would be happier to Roleplay it out if people stopped doing the whole 'I have no name, no finger prints, no identification, no nothing' thing.

I think that people need to show a little restraint though when randomly accosting a civilian in fresh spawn gear walking down the street for a teeny tiny bounty. Hell I got jumped today by a couple of officers whilst I was sitting in a bush in Kavala for my bounty as a fresh spawn. Didn't even get a chance to talk out my charges either.. I think things need work. Like lets at least teach the deputies how to roleplay why they know your identity.

2 hours ago, yoitsdanny1 said:

Since officers are tired of people doing the Identity "RP" , they would normally be more lenient on me. It is a win-win.

Ye, officers aint tired about " all my 1230 manslaughters were self defense " :D

• Like 1

Tilda = Use it to see who is around you

Once you identify a scum bag with warrant.  Profile the shit out of him or her and wait for them to mess up.  Once they mess up you pounce.  If during processing the person pulls all the BS identity crap, essentially fail RP, you transport them to HQ, add John Doe charge, and send to jail.  Problem solved and we all live happily ever after.  I dont disagree that mentioning the name about the head is borderline fail RP.  But, just because you can use it does not mean you need to mention it.  

3 hours ago, Brennan said:

An officer telling you that they can see the name above your head is still shit RP.

A civilian telling an officer that he's not got any DNA, fingerprints, eyes, blood, identity, and so on is the epitome of shit RP. Refer to my status update here. http://olympus-entertainment.com/profile/3980-fat-clemenza/?status=5974&type=status

3 minutes ago, Tragic said:

I have not played the server for a while but my question is. if I have a mask on or something covering my face. can anyone apd officer just come up and arrest me because I am wanted for 250k? 

Yep. I'll get you for a single assault charge if I want. 

• Like 1

The main thing that concerns me with this rule is that because it's for the whole of the APD, it is going to be abused by the two lowest ranks as such. It is a given and I have seen it done. Clemenza and Peter, you both do it, however you still RP with us when it comes to the nitty gritty. If you won't revise the rule at least train the grunts on properly RP'ing it out. There have been a few lower rank members that do abide and RP better than some corporals I will add, but one bad egg can ruin a new players entire experience on the server. There will ALWAYS be that one bad egg, however a majority of the encounters can better be differed by more thorough RP training. It is in fact the most critical part of playing as a Cop on an RPG server. A way to get out of a person refusing to identify themselves is by testing blood, scanning their iris, tissue sample, hair sample, dental records and even a saliva swab if it comes down to that. Furthermore if they talk their way out of those it is fail RP because it is humanely impossible to not have at least 3 of those! Even at that point RP doesn't need to end, you can say " Well sir since you seem to have no possible way to identify you, I will have to incarcerate you for the crimes I have witnessed you committing, the minimum sentence is 5 years I'll see you then!" Then just send them to jail. Out think your opponent! 

Tilda is fine to be used in all aspects, however like was stated above, watch that person and wait, get them when they start driving because you ran their plates, or bust them when they commit a new crime because they are going to, they're criminals! It doesn't hurt to wait anyway, you end up with a BIGGER BOUNTY as a reward in the end. The excuses made above for this rule are just that, excuses. It's an RP server, as Staff your job given by the Owner of the server is to enforce that, otherwise you wouldn't be in the positions you are! I'm not mad at you Peter or Clemenza, but I am pointing out to you as a part of this community that this is a failure and as a dissatisfied member, along with many others, we want change!

I don't know all the rules by heart, I most certainly slip up and make errors, I'm human. That's understandable for everybody. However I can RP me heart out because I love getting away from daily stress and work and college! If you would like me to set a day when I have time in this next week, by all means I can and we can run a training session on Roleplay for the cops. Just let me know. 

1 hour ago, Dallas said:

The thing about the tilde is, if someone dies and spawns in lets say "Athira" and a cop is right infront of him as he spawns (While having a bounty over a million) WTF is the guy gonna do. Like the cop instantly knows who u are. Then youre in jail for more than 40 mins. 

Well that's the way it used to be a long time ago and no one battered an eyelid.

5 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

A civilian telling an officer that he's not got any DNA, fingerprints, eyes, blood, identity, and so on is the epitome of shit RP. Refer to my status update here. http://olympus-entertainment.com/profile/3980-fat-clemenza/?status=5974&type=status

I should rephrase what I said, telling a civ that you can see their name above their head is not bad RP, it is not RP at all.

I completely agree with what you, and while a civ shouldn't be asking the question, the officer could still say something within RP. For example, when ever I am asked the question I simply respond "The way the APD identifies criminals is confidential."

8 hours ago, Tragic said:

so if i am wanted for 700k im fucked? can i rp my way out of it all :)

Back when Peter Long was a CPL, (I have to mention this because it gives context; he wasn't as well known, so he didn't receive special treatment when caught by the cops. It does happen unfortunately, hence our many pseudonyms) he once RPed his way out of a $700k (Pete, you might have to correct me on the figure, but we were both on civ at the time and you got yourself out of a huge ticket) ticket. Anything's possible so long as you have a good story that explains your charges and makes it hard for the cops to fact check. I'll tell you one thing that pertains to this; since getting CPL, I issue full tickets once in a blue moon. I like to cut people deals. Makes things more fun. 

• Admin

Exactly. This is exactly what CIVS should focus on instead of what we had before with the TILDE GUIDELINE. Try and RP your story. Not how we know your name. It got old and very ridiculous. 

I do recall seeing 3 servers being completely full and having to spam enter my way into the server, WAY before tilde guideline was a thing. Back then no one even questioned how identities were known, it was just a part of the game. Cops also got a lot more money for arresting people and had 0 incentive to give people reduced tickets. Yet people kept coming back. 

Also, with regards to training sessions, they really just don't work. Being able to RP is something that just comes with practice, some people are better at it, some are worse. All RP training sessions ever did was cause 25+ cops to start using the exact same RP as everyone else, until the next session came where they learned a new "RP"  technique to use. I remember when we first taught people that an example to get an identity is to take blood samples, and that got out of hand REALLY fast, and was then frowned upon. At this point SAPD literally says not to use it. This sort of thing happens every training session.