Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

17 minutes ago, Invu said:

Have to buy a new PSU probably a new GPU might as well throw this piece of shit computer off my roof and buy a new one  

I wanna say its your psu because its easy but dont jump to conclusions your gpu only pulls power from your motherboard and a max tdp of 75 w if your system pulling an extra 75w is cause a lock up id be shook most likely killed the pcie lane 

2 hours ago, Invu said:

Have to buy a new PSU probably a new GPU might as well throw this piece of shit computer off my roof and buy a new one  

doubt its this, gpu not under load doesnt eat too much wattage 

3 hours ago, TheCmdrRex said:

Most graphics cards have some sort of additional power connection. Can you see what your exact card model is so that I can try to find the exact pin layout? 

Are your GPU fans spinning when you do this at all?

the 460 is a smaller card with no extra connectors... which also supports my theory that PSU isnt bad (or may not be bad) since the power draw wouldn't be that much.

2 hours ago, Invu said:

i mean the GPU isnt great for gaming, if your going to buy anything get a new gpu first...also try inspecting your current gpu circuit board for burns... its possible you fried something after cleaning it....otherwise, it could also be the PCIex16 slot on the mobo

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Invu said:

I took out my graphics card and cleaned it put it back in and my computer won't boot with the graphics card in

Did you wash it with soap and water?

5 hours ago, MAV said:

the 460 is a smaller card with no extra connectors... which also supports my theory that PSU isnt bad (or may not be bad) since the power draw wouldn't be that much.

We on the same wave length 

• Like 1

Why would you use a compressed air can to spray on your gpu when you can disassemble it, never do that cause it can damage your gpu on the reboot, use Delete when booting then find through your temp settings, if that doesn't work, check your motherboard if all the plugs are correct

Dont give up. After the 1803 update for Windows 10, it caused alot of issues similar to yours. Remove the card. Restore to before your recent update. Then uninstall all GPU drivers, run all windows updates then reinstall the GPU. 

If that doesnt work, it may be the PSU. Bring it to Best Buy they can test the PSU for free. Also new PSUs arnt that expensive. 

1 hour ago, Chazz said:

if its a prebuilt it should have a warranty

warranty is up for it unfortunately

56 minutes ago, Gluxdator said:

Dont give up. After the 1803 update for Windows 10, it caused alot of issues similar to yours. Remove the card. Restore to before your recent update. Then uninstall all GPU drivers, run all windows updates then reinstall the GPU. 

If that doesnt work, it may be the PSU. Bring it to Best Buy they can test the PSU for free. Also new PSUs arnt that expensive. 

will give it a try i'll let you know

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gluxdator said:

This doesn't 'scream' like a PSU problem to me, going to be honest...Let me break down why i feel that way...

The PSU supplies 'clean' electricity for your rig... typically when a PSU is going bad, its a pain in the ass to diagnose... the reason why is the symptoms are that of 100 different things... usually what happens if when your computer is under load with a bad PSU, the power level will dip and spike causing a BSoD, application hangs/crashes, or even cause the computer to just shut off...

Graphics cards are usually the most PSU intensive component, which is why i can see everyone pointing to the PSU, BUT:

1. max wattage for a PCIe x16 slot is 75W (which isn't much) and thats if nothing is in any other PCIe x4 or x16 slots (if so, that drops to ~35 watts)
2. Per Tom's Hardware, the idle wattage consumed by the AMD RX 460 is 13.2 watts, which is virtually nothing and shouldn't be enough to crash computer on a bad PSU. (source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-460,4707-5.html_)

What I think likely happened is there was an electromagnetic discharge either during cleaning or while pulling out the card that fried the card or the port... You can have you're PSU tested, but keep in mind, Best Buy wants to sell you a PSU, if there is even the slightest variation in wattage or efficiency, i wouldn't doubt they would fail it (even if its within the PSU acceptable parameters)

I hope this helps, but you're due for a GPU upgrade anyway...you can get a nice 1060 for a little over 200 bucks right now and the prices are dropping...

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, MAV said:

This doesn't 'scream' like a PSU problem to me, going to be honest...The PSU supplies 'clean' electricity for your rig... typically when a PSU is going bad, its a pain in the ass to diagnose... the reason why is the symptoms are that of 100 different things... usually what happens if when your computer is under load with a bad PSU, the power level will dip and spike causing a BSoD, application hangs/crashes, or even cause the computer to just shut off...

Graphics cards are usually the most PSU intensive component, which is why i can see everyone pointing to the PSU, BUT:

1. max wattage for a PCIe x16 slot is 75W (which isn't much) and thats if nothing is in any other PCIe x4 or x16 slots (if so, that drops to ~35 watts)
2. Per Tom's Hardware, the idle wattage consumed by the AMD RX 460 is 13.2 watts, which is virtually nothing and shouldn't be enough to crash computer on a bad PSU. (source: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-460,4707-5.html_)

What I think likely happened is there was an electromagnetic discharge either during cleaning or while pulling out the card that fried the card or the port... You can have you're PSU tested, but keep in mind, Best Buy wants to sell you a PSU, if there is even the slightest variation in wattage or efficiency, i wouldn't doubt they would fail it (even if its within the PSU acceptable parameters)

I hope this helps, but you're due for a GPU upgrade anyway...you can get a nice 1060 for a little over 200 bucks right now and the prices are dropping...

Thanks a lot man for the help I was looking into buying the 1060 and just upgrading my PSU since I need a new one anyways 

• Like 1

Same shit happened to me I just started using a different port on my GPU. I have two DVI ports and I guess one of them got damaged while I was cleaning and it doesn't work anymore. I see yours has HDMI and DVI you should try whichever one you didn't use before

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ChubbyElf said:

Same shit happened to me I just started using a different port on my GPU. I have two DVI ports and I guess one of them got damaged while I was cleaning and it doesn't work anymore. I see yours has HDMI and DVI you should try whichever one you didn't use before

I use dual monitors so i tried hdmi vga even tried display port none work