Static Crosshair

11 hours ago, Retired Developer said:

Uh what? It's should also shoot low in first when zero'd at 200m and shooting at 20m. When crosshair is set to static obviously.

i believe not but i do not have my pc to test.

• Haha 1
  • Lead Map Designer

The sight is set to hit right on at 200 meters, because bullet drop is taken into account. At 10 meters, the sight is not set for that distance, despite the minimum being 200 m, so the bullet will not hit right on. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Retired Developer said:

Uh what? It's should also shoot low in first when zero'd at 200m and shooting at 20m. When crosshair is set to static obviously.

Actually logically if you zero a scope for 200m and shoot anything less then 200m it should shoot high and over 200m it should shoot low going on how ballistics and bullet drop actually work... HOWEVER, this is based off effective range...

Ie: if a 7.62 rifle bullet drop starts at 200m + then 0-200m would be the same, but after 200m you would need to zero up... where as 9mm likely has an effective range of ~100m which would mean at 0-100 zeroing would be close to the same and after 100m you'd need to zero up, but if its zero'd for 200m, then anything under 200m would have less bullet drop then what its zero'd for, therefor making the bullet go higher then the reticle (this is proven by putting a ARCO on a sting)

So - to me, this sounds like a glitch in arma3's zeroing in 3rd person

So TLDR:

If bullet drop starts at 100m and the scope it zero'd for 200m then less then 200m should fire high, more then 200m should fire low.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, MAV said:

Actually logically if you zero a scope for 200m and shoot anything less then 200m it should shoot high and over 200m it should shoot low going on how ballistics and bullet drop actually work... HOWEVER, this is based off effective range...

Ie: if a 7.62 rifle bullet drop starts at 200m + then 0-200m would be the same, but after 200m you would need to zero up... where as 9mm likely has an effective range of ~100m which would mean at 0-100 zeroing would be close to the same and after 100m you'd need to zero up, but if its zero'd for 200m, then anything under 200m would have less bullet drop then what its zero'd for, therefor making the bullet go higher then the reticle (this is proven by putting a ARCO on a sting)

So - to me, this sounds like a glitch in arma3's zeroing in 3rd person

So TLDR:

If bullet drop starts at 100m and the scope it zero'd for 200m then less then 200m should fire high, more then 200m should fire low.

Exactly what I thought.

6 hours ago, MAV said:

Actually logically if you zero a scope...

I am well aware. However, the discussion is on Arma not real life. Yes I could've shown a diagram on how a bullet bullet trajectory works but it wouldn't make a difference since we're talking about shooting in 3pp and 1pp in ARMA not real life. So instead of derailing it and talking about something irrelevant or how Arma isnt doing something right yada yada I spoke exactly of how the game works in its current state. Which that in both 1pp and 3pp when shooting closer than your zero the bullet is below the crosshair. I would assume this is because the game draws the crosshair from the sights and not the bore of the firearm or some shit along those lines.

2 hours ago, Retired Developer said:

I am well aware. However, the discussion is on Arma not real life. Yes I could've shown a diagram on how a bullet bullet trajectory works but it wouldn't make a difference since we're talking about shooting in 3pp and 1pp in ARMA not real life. So instead of derailing it and talking about something irrelevant or how Arma isnt doing something right yada yada I spoke exactly of how the game works in its current state. Which that in both 1pp and 3pp when shooting closer than your zero the bullet is below the crosshair. I would assume this is because the game draws the crosshair from the sights and not the bore of the firearm or some shit along those lines.

Come out of retirement