Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

just a random thought

So, it seems that most people feel the only way to progress in factions on arma is to kiss ass and not make waves. But i feel making waves and not kissing ass is the best way to get noticed. since everyone else is kissing ass higher rank people would tend to notice the people doing the opposite of that, Right? And when i say making waves i dont mean blatantly disregarding what a higher rank is saying. i mean when you see something you feel is unfair, you address it. Or in any situation if you see something or enough people bring it to ur attention you address it not caring what anyone would say. You dont do it for the recognition you do it because its the right thing to do. Am i the only one who feels this way? Am i the only one who feels kissing ass is the opposite way to get promoted or get heard? What is everyone else thoughts and feelings on this?

• Hmm 3

@blazeking420, based on your post yesterday and this one, you are being noticed.  Definitely not kissing ass either. I don’t disagree with your mindset, but your tact may be off.

its because i refuse to sugarcoat anything. Like, if people cant handle blunt thinking then maybe they shouldn't be in a position of power ya know? i love being a cop. but if keeping my rank means i gotta sugarcoat something to keep from offending a s. and losing my rank well then i guess it just wasn't meant for me to be in that faction. i dont have an issue apologizing when i directly offend some one. but i wont mince my words to make some one happy. and if no one else will bring up the tough subjects then im going to stand up and do it. and deal with the heat that comes with addressing it like i did on the last post.

• Like 1

You are definitely welcome to do things your way.  You can be blunt as well.  But you need tact.  I’m not sure the forum posts are the way to do it.  If you don’t agree with the way something is going down, maybe a PM or conversation on TS is the way to go.  

Just now, RDyer216 said:

You are definitely welcome to do things your way.  You can be blunt as well.  But you need tact.  I’m not sure the forum posts are the way to do it.  If you don’t agree with the way something is going down, maybe a PM or conversation on TS is the way to go.  

you are right TS would be a way to go if some one would ever respond it takes staff adn srapd weeks to respond to anything and i understand they are super busy but damn. and the thing was it wasnt a slam at srapd or staff. it was just something that came to mind. and i decided to post it and get other peoples thoughts on it

Just now, Blazekeking420 said:

it was just something that came to mind.

If I wasn’t taking a shit and in my phone I would go to your post from yesterday.

You aren’t the best and taking your thoughts and putting them in to text.  A lot of your ideas get lost in giant run on sentences without any paragraphs.  My the end of it all it’s just garbage.  It may be worth waiting so your thoughts aren’t lost and you get to communicate clearly.

Just now, RDyer216 said:

If I wasn’t taking a shit and in my phone I would go to your post from yesterday.

You aren’t the best and taking your thoughts and putting them in to text.  A lot of your ideas get lost in giant run on sentences without any paragraphs.  My the end of it all it’s just garbage.  It may be worth waiting so your thoughts aren’t lost and you get to communicate clearly.

and thats what i usually tend to do. but i couldnt catch the ear of anyone like if someone staff or srapd would actually pull me and lewt me talk for like 5minutes i could collect my thoughts and do a clear outline of my meaning.

@RDyer216 you srR&R how often are R&R applications checked? i know APD applications are checked pretty regularly lol

• Senior Developer
4 hours ago, Blazekeking420 said:

its because i refuse to sugarcoat anything. Like, if people cant handle blunt thinking then maybe they shouldn't be in a position of power ya know? i love being a cop. but if keeping my rank means i gotta sugarcoat something to keep from offending a s. and losing my rank well then i guess it just wasn't meant for me to be in that faction. i dont have an issue apologizing when i directly offend some one. but i wont mince my words to make some one happy. and if no one else will bring up the tough subjects then im going to stand up and do it. and deal with the heat that comes with addressing it like i did on the last post.

I'm having a hard time seeing what you're getting at here. Can you provide me with an example of you not sugar-coating something, and how you think that went poorly for you?

What does this have to do with "[kissing] ass and not [making] waves"?

I'm not arguing by the way I'm legitimately interested. I've had a bunch of wildly different opinions on the APD over the years, but I've never really felt like anyone slipped in to the shadows to make their way to the top.

Also: you're probably going to get hard flamed for this post. Capitalizing your sentences, and a simple spell check would probably make it seem a lot more approachable for the seniors you really want to have listening; it might help them take it a little more seriously and less like a rant.

Just now, codeYeTi said:

I'm having a hard time seeing what you're getting at here. Can you provide me with an example of you not sugar-coating something, and how you think that went poorly for you?

What does this have to do with "[kissing] ass and not [making] waves"?

I'm not arguing by the way I'm legitimately interested. I've had a bunch of wildly different opinions on the APD over the years, but I've never really felt like anyone slipped in to the shadows to make their way to the top.

Also: you're probably going to get hard flamed for this post. Capitalizing your sentences, and a simple spell check would probably make it seem a lot more approachable for the seniors you really want to have listening; it might help them take it a little more seriously and less like a rant.

My spelling should be at least pretty close to on point. And if your legit interested either PM me or we can talk in a teamspeak channel which would be preferred

• Senior Developer
1 minute ago, Blazekeking420 said:

My spelling should be at least pretty close to on point. And if your legit interested either PM me or we can talk in a teamspeak channel which would be preferred

I am actually interested, but I think that talking this out in a place where the whole community can chime in if they want would probably be more effective.

@codeYeTi

No the specific scenario i want to tell you about. I am at least tactful enough to know and understand when it comes to talking about certain issues one on one would be better than a forum, it is something im going to bring up to staff. But Ive been in several teamspeaks with people and they all have said the only way to move forward in the apd at least is to kiss ass. My point with this post was to let everyone get a chance to get their thoughts out. Also to let SRapd and SRr&r members see how the community thinks about how they need to act and what they need to do to move up. 

I personally think its a bad idea to just kiss ass. If you cannot move up on your own merit then there is no point in moving up. So i think if this post gets enough response and everyone is honest about how they feel. Then maybe it can be worked at to change things so that even without ass kissing everyone can have a fair shot at moving up. I know most of the JR apd and R&R community feel that they need to kiss ass to gain rank. And once they gain rank they feel that they need to follow suit and let people kiss ass. I may be wrong about that and if i am this post will show me that.

It has been made clear by the SR. APD that in order for people to progress in rankings, is to prove one's self. Example for PO to CORP. You must show that you are a leader and can handle yourself well with lower rankings, and let alone be active. The SR. APD isn't all that big (in terms of members NOT SAYING THATS A BAD THING). Even with that being said, they do a very good job at knowing who is doing what on the server. They must value a decision as well as the facts they have on a player before giving a promotion. Just like a real life job, you must earn the rank you wish to achieve. Ranks aren't meant to be given out like candy, but rather earned through acquiring experience. And yes, when a SR does join your channel, that is a good way to try to show him/her that you have improved and you are working for your rank. I kindly disagree with the kissing ass part, hopefully you understand the process a little better.

No disrespect to you or anyone that feels the way you feel, AT ALL.

Im not saying you have to kiss ass, i am vocalizing something alot of the lower apd feel. And Sinfull you are correct thats how it SHOULD work, but very few feel thats how it DOES work. As you have seen on this post there are others that feel that you must kiss ass to gain rank. It should never feel that way. At all times it should feel that hard work pays off. Not ass kissing and that is my point.