Locked The reason why we never get new people to stay on Olympus!!

All I know is Olympus is the BEST Gaming Community Ive ever seen or been part of. I have been on here since late July 2014, and I have seen a lot of people come and go through my time. And most people that leave end up coming back Ive noticed...why? because Olympus is the BEST out there. I look at a gaming server like any Non-Profit business, people will always come and go, some people will always complain, but in the end its like any business, some people leave and new people will replace the old...sometimes its more noticeable then at other times depending on the time of year or in our case, the wipe made it a little more noticeable...but at the end of the day its called turnover and in a month or two Olympus will be stronger then ever before in my opinion. And to all the regular players that are active and to all the Admins and Mods and Dev...I say Thank You for helping make Olympus the Best out there :)

• Like 2

Why do 95% of the people on this server need to break the law in order to have fun?  Its really kind of pathetic.  Go play a different game if all you want to do is rob and kill 100% of the time.  I get the need to vent in ways you cannot in real life but come on.  When I played civ I use to have fun legally.  As a medic I still enjoy the game.  It seems like everyone playing is out to rob people, commit crimes, and troll.  Few people come in with the intent of actually following the law.  Development and map design have done a lot to cater to gangs.  What a surprise that they are still causing problems.  I get that its a gang and thats what gangs are supposed to do.  But catering so heavily toward them is not a solution.  It encourages people to join gangs, rather then go it alone.  Its like freekin Compton man.  Where is the RP value in "hands up or die".  Stop catering toward gangs!  They dont seem to care that the server is running out of newbies to mess with.  Once they have driven everyone off they too will leave and then what?  One gang already disbanded and I doubt all the members are going to continue to play on Olympus.

Why does everything have to cater towards gangs, APD, or illegal activity?  Throw the law abiding citizens a freekin bone.  I have tried to bring up countless ideas to make changes to try to retain medics and was told no to damn near everything I have proposed.  Hell, R&R cant even get freeking helicopter helmets because they are exclusive to APD chief of police! I tried to push for R&R to get raven vests... Nope.  We cant even get little shit and yet gangs get an entire chunk of the map to play with.  APD gets ghost hawks and bad ass shit.  R&R and civs, meh.  Like it or not the backbone of the server needs to be civs that are willing to make money legally.  Lately the only things I see happening are major engagements between APD and MC.  Like Thomas has said they go at it for awhile then a bitch fest breaks out about rules and RP.  What a joke!  Thats not RP thats basically Wasteland.  The server is getting torn to pieces by this crap and it sucks.  Im sure people will read this and say leave if your unhappy.  If your going to say it save your words!  I am here complaining about it because I want things to improve but I clearly have no say, weight, or way of doing anything about whats going on other then to be blatantly honest about it.  This community has some of the coolest people I have played with.  Hell I even like and respect Hades, despite the fact that he probably wishes I would vanish since I am a pain in the ass.

Please dont read this and assume that I dont want gangs around.  I like gangs and I think there is a place for them in the community.  However, their needs to be a place and incentives for everyone else as well.  I feel bad for beating the shit out of the dead horse but the message just doesn't seem to be getting through.  Regardless of how bad it gets I am staying at Olympus.  Olympus is my home.  I am not the type to enjoy the good times and bail when the going gets tough.

• Like 2

Hades one thing i keep hearing you say is that another server bought players out. If they didnt like the server better they would have came back after there free money ran out. But they didnt come back did they? not trying to be rude but if you think that is the only reason people switched servers you are sadly mistaken..... You can blame the comunity all you want. But once again, we arent doing anything different we did pre wipe. So why is it a problem now?

Why would someone leave a server when your given 15 mil to start, allowed to exploit, break rules and allowed to do what you want because your friend is a Dev. That would simply be dumb. So yes I bring the point up because the players that left wanted to take the easy road instead of working for there stuff. They got in trouble for breaking rules here so decided to go someplace that they could get away with it. With that said if you look at what I have stated I did NOT say this was the only reason. I have stated there are also other reasons why people have left 

Why do 95% of the people on this server need to break the law in order to have fun?  Its really kind of pathetic.  Go play a different game if all you want to do is rob and kill 100% of the time.  I get the need to vent in ways you cannot in real life but come on.  When I played civ I use to have fun legally.  As a medic I still enjoy the game.  It seems like everyone playing is out to rob people, commit crimes, and troll.  Few people come in with the intent of actually following the law.  Development and map design have done a lot to cater to gangs.  What a surprise that they are still causing problems.  I get that its a gang and thats what gangs are supposed to do.  But catering so heavily toward them is not a solution.  It encourages people to join gangs, rather then go it alone.  Its like freekin Compton man.  Where is the RP value in "hands up or die".  Stop catering toward gangs!  They dont seem to care that the server is running out of newbies to mess with.  Once they have driven everyone off they too will leave and then what?  One gang already disbanded and I doubt all the members are going to continue to play on Olympus.

Why does everything have to cater towards gangs, APD, or illegal activity?  Throw the law abiding citizens a freekin bone.  I have tried to bring up countless ideas to make changes to try to retain medics and was told no to damn near everything I have proposed.  Hell, R&R cant even get freeking helicopter helmets because they are exclusive to APD chief of police! I tried to push for R&R to get raven vests... Nope.  We cant even get little shit and yet gangs get an entire chunk of the map to play with.  APD gets ghost hawks and bad ass shit.  R&R and civs, meh.  Like it or not the backbone of the server needs to be civs that are willing to make money legally.  Lately the only things I see happening are major engagements between APD and MC.  Like Thomas has said they go at it for awhile then a bitch fest breaks out about rules and RP.  What a joke!  Thats not RP thats basically Wasteland.  The server is getting torn to pieces by this crap and it sucks.  Im sure people will read this and say leave if your unhappy.  If your going to say it save your words!  I am here complaining about it because I want things to improve but I clearly have no say, weight, or way of doing anything about whats going on other then to be blatantly honest about it.  This community has some of the coolest people I have played with.  Hell I even like and respect Hades, despite the fact that he probably wishes I would vanish since I am a pain in the ass.

Please dont read this and assume that I dont want gangs around.  I like gangs and I think there is a place for them in the community.  However, their needs to be a place and incentives for everyone else as well.  I feel bad for beating the shit out of the dead horse but the message just doesn't seem to be getting through.  Regardless of how bad it gets I am staying at Olympus.  Olympus is my home.  I am not the type to enjoy the good times and bail when the going gets tough.

Regarding the gang issues, We didn't make anything to persay cater just to gangs. Gangs are part of the game so we have to add in features for them just as we do for the other roles. The "Warzone" was added in to help offset gangs being bored and messing with the new or solo players. It gives them a place to go stupid mode on each other without getting in trouble. It was added to help give solo players a break as well. If the gangs are busy in the Warzone they won't be messing with people doing legal stuff as much.

Regarding your ideas, some have been discussed and others have been said no to. There is always a reason behind why we make a decision on something. We don't just do it because we want to say no. We don't cater to any specific group unless there is a major balance issue. R&R has been given alot of love from a Dev standpoint. In reality R&R has had much more done to it then any other role in the game. You say R&R can't get Heli helmets, R&R is not a combative role so they don't need them just as they don't need Hellcats. Having the nice looking things puts a target on your back. While there are rules in place some people simply don't care and will still try to get things they shouldn't. If it isn't something that is needed other then just for a cosmetic reason and will cause issues we won't add it in. R&R gets towing and revives along with almost 95% immunity to being killed. APD gets there specific rules and limited guns. Civs get the big ass guns and loadout options. Again it about what fits best with the roles and balance.

Hmmm why how about a member gang cap feature that restricts on how many people can be in a gang =], it will be fun and more competitive.

It'd be relatively simple to circumvent this restriction. E.G. Let's say I have a gang of thirty guys, The Compton Thugs, or [CPT] and this restriction is implemented. Our gang now has to [CPT] keeps 15 while the other 15 form The Long Beach Thugs, or [LBC]. We use the TS to coordinate our drug runs, robbing, etc. and split the cartels down the middle. We're still the same gang because we're never going to go at each other. We'll work together as if nothing changes. This kind of restriction would be a waste of time because the staff would do all the work to implement only to find the situation I mentioned above, and not the result they'd want.

I get it Hades, I really do.  But looking like a dorky unarmed medic is depressing...  Id rather be targeted once in awhile because I have desirable gear! It should really be up to the medic if they want to wear gear that makes them a target.  Looking cool and getting shot once in awhile is an even trade in my opinion.  Like it or not, aesthetics are important.  I of course disagree that everything needs to be purely functional.  Helmets would be accurate.  All medical personal that operate via helicopters wear helicopter helmets, not baseball caps.  Anyways, we have been done this road already so that's all I got.      

if people stopped doing illegal work cops would be bored af, and people would die less = less money for you medic.

if people stopped doing illegal work cops would be bored af, and people would die less = less money for you medic.

90% of Medics don't play for money FYI. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Olympus will be just fine, numbers have dropped some in the last few weeks, but overall I feel that the community, as a whole, is well rounded, has good leadership and has people who care that will ensure its success. You can't keep making major changes to how the server runs or it will never smooth out. We recently had a lot of positive changes and a large influx of players due to that. But the servers are still young in reference to the changes and will stabilize and weed out the problem children in due time. The devs, admins and faction leadership are extremely involved and that is a rare thing for these kinds of games on this scale. I know players that talked crap about the server, tried to get me to leave to go to a "way better server with better everything" only to return a month or two later to Olympus. It's a case of "the grass is greener". But it does not take long for those players to realize that there was in fact no grass at all on the other side. If you don't like the server then leave, but I am willing to bet you will not be able to find better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Olympus will be just fine, numbers have dropped some in the last few weeks, but overall I feel that the community, as a whole, is well rounded, has good leadership and has people who care that will ensure its success. You can't keep making major changes to how the server runs or it will never smooth out. We recently had a lot of positive changes and a large influx of players due to that. But the servers are still young in reference to the changes and will stabilize and weed out the problem children in due time. The devs, admins and faction leadership are extremely involved and that is a rare thing for these kinds of games on this scale. I know players that talked crap about the server, tried to get me to leave to go to a "way better server with better everything" only to return a month or two later to Olympus. It's a case of "the grass is greener". But it does not take long for those players to realize that there was in fact no grass at all on the other side. If you don't like the server then leave, but I am willing to bet you will not be able to find better!

Legal work isn't worth it, just by looking at the market prices people automatically go to illegal, also look at the map every legal work is so far away from processors so you would have to drive a bunch just to get a couple thousand dollars which is not worth it.

I bought a truck just to try and do legal work but as soon as people see theres a truck they start following it and try robbing it, and good Civs can't really defend themselfs with rooks or pdw's then they get the manslaughter charge and police don't believe it was self defense, they have to pay the 20k for the ticket and now they wasted all the money they earned in that legal run trip

I get it Hades, I really do.  But looking like a dorky unarmed medic is depressing...  Id rather be targeted once in awhile because I have desirable gear! It should really be up to the medic if they want to wear gear that makes them a target.  Looking cool and getting shot once in awhile is an even trade in my opinion.  Like it or not, aesthetics are important.  I of course disagree that everything needs to be purely functional.  Helmets would be accurate.  All medical personal that operate via helicopters wear helicopter helmets, not baseball caps.  Anyways, we have been done this road already so that's all I got.      

If you don't like the role or the items that come with it then leave the role. You seem to complain more often then not about things regarding R&R. We have put alot of time into the role and still have plans for more. Adding things that will cause more issues is not what we plan to do. Ya it might be cool to see a R&R player with that helmet but we don't want to encourage players to target R&R because of that cool look. While you may have no issue with having a target on your back most players that play the role don't.

Why would someone leave a server when your given 15 mil to start, allowed to exploit, break rules and allowed to do what you want because your friend is a Dev. That would simply be dumb. So yes I bring the point up because the players that left wanted to take the easy road instead of working for there stuff. They got in trouble for breaking rules here so decided to go someplace that they could get away with it. With that said if you look at what I have stated I did NOT say this was the only reason. I have stated there are also other reasons why people have left 

I'm not even a BurBan member so this isn't biased, but if you think that's the reason they left you're so very sadly mistaken.

I'm not even a BurBan member so this isn't biased, but if you think that's the reason they left you're so very sadly mistaken.

So your telling me that they were not given extra money when they started playing there, one of the staff members is not a member of there group and they haven't done things that would get normal players banned such as duping or exploiting?

So your telling me that they were not given extra money when they started playing there, one of the staff members is not a member of there group and they haven't done things that would get normal players banned such as duping or exploiting?

They were given a mil each to test balance of prices, Toad got mod 3 days ago and has little permissions by himself at this time and the kid that exploited got perm banned. Stop being salty and making excuses because a gang found a server they enjoy more and do something to make yours better and contend instead of bashing on other servers that give you any adversity. 

They were given a mil each to test balance of prices, Toad got mod 3 days ago and has little permissions by himself at this time and the kid that exploited got perm banned. Stop being salty and making excuses because a gang found a server they enjoy more and do something to make yours better and contend instead of bashing on other servers that give you any adversity. 

So they did get money, they did get a position on the staff and they are exploiting!  Would they have moved if they received nothing?  Chances are probably not, so your argument about a gang who found a server they enjoy more is not really a valid argument.  Toad probably said, "hey guys, I can be staff and can give you money plus protect you guys if someone complains about you, so come over to this server that my buddy has".  The fact that you have to identify yourself as separate from them also identifies that you have a close relationship with them, hence why you are taking up for their actions and not allowing them to speak for themselves.

So they did get money, they did get a position on the staff and they are exploiting!  Would they have moved if they received nothing?  Chances are probably not, so your argument about a gang who found a server they enjoy more is not really a valid argument.  Toad probably said, "hey guys, I can be staff and can give you money plus protect you guys if someone complains about you, so come over to this server that my buddy just started".  The fact that you have to identify yourself as separate from them also identifies that you have a close relationship with them, hence why you are taking up for their actions and not allowing them to speak for themselves.

Read the part where Toad got mod 3 days ago..... they left what about a month ago? That isnt the point. dosent matter which server is bertter or not or why people left.

So they did get money, they did get a position on the staff and they are exploiting!  Would they have moved if they received nothing?  Chances are probably not, so your argument about a gang who found a server they enjoy more is not really a valid argument.  Toad probably said, "hey guys, I can be staff and can give you money plus protect you guys if someone complains about you, so come over to this server that my buddy has".  The fact that you have to identify yourself as separate from them also identifies that you have a close relationship with them, hence why you are taking up for their actions and not allowing them to speak for themselves.

hey left because they left, given money or not it does not matter, they obviusly enjoyed the server so they stayed on it. there is in no county / universe any need to bash on them for that reason. it might have been bad that they were given money. but in NOWAY at all did Toad get staff because he changed over to . So please. respect peoples opinion / descissions.

I wasn't referring to TOAD as being a Mod. My whole point was a group of players were bought off, and for more then 1 mil, as simple as that. In the end they decided to stay there and that is perfecting fine imo. I was stating that this gang left for a particular reason as well as there being other reasons there has been issues with the population.

• Like 1
  • Admin

All I know is Olympus is the BEST Gaming Community Ive ever seen or been part of. I have been on here since late July 2014, and I have seen a lot of people come and go through my time. And most people that leave end up coming back Ive noticed...why? because Olympus is the BEST out there. I look at a gaming server like any Non-Profit business, people will always come and go, some people will always complain, but in the end its like any business, some people leave and new people will replace the old...sometimes its more noticeable then at other times depending on the time of year or in our case, the wipe made it a little more noticeable...but at the end of the day its called turnover and in a month or two Olympus will be stronger then ever before in my opinion. And to all the regular players that are active and to all the Admins and Mods and Dev...I say Thank You for helping make Olympus the Best out there :)

Hear hear! 

I wasn't referring to TOAD as being a Mod. My whole point was a group of players were bought off, and for more then 1 mil, as simple as that. In the end they decided to stay there and that is perfecting fine imo. I was stating that this gang left for a particular reason as well as there being other reasons there has been issues with the population.

they did not leave because of 1 mil DO YOU REALLY THINK STEALTH, WHO HAS 60,000 MINUTES ON THIS SERVER ALONE LEFT FOR 1 MIL CASH,  lets be real or any amount of money, seriously dude you're being so goddamn childish about it it's actually unreal. Half of those guys the only Altis life server they've even played on was Olympus. And for months they DID only play Olympus. You don't just up and leave a community completely that you've played for 30+ thousand minutes on like most of these guys have for a couple million in virtual money.  If you actually think your server's population is hurting right now because another server is buying players out you're dumb plain and simple. Step back, take in advice from others, assess the problems your servers DO have, and do something to fix it rather than spreading rumors on your forums like a 15 year old girl.

Do you really even have any idea how long they've been on the server? Honestly, people that have been around as long as they do don't just leave for 1 mil. About the exploiting, if you could read you'd see that I did say the person who did exploit got banned and like Dustin said, Toad to mod 4 days ago as of today, and the only other person Hades could've been talking about is Derek who is the head dev for that server and has been so busy lately with coding and school hasn't even been around. I and NOT a BurBan member, you can ask any of them that but a few of them are my friends and when people start spewing bullshit rumors about your friends you say something.  

• Like 2
  • Admin

Sigh. Honestly? Olympus is not going down because some gang left. Why don't we just drop the subject already. Does it matter if they left? Other, better gangs will come. If they left in the first place, means we didn't needed them.