Is Olympus Dead?

We have all been saying for a while this is a dying server, but is it past the point of no return? 

Arma isn’t a dead game, easily hitting 20,000 active player daily But Olympus is never full pop. With 20-25 thousand active players over the past couple years, Olympus has still had to close down server 2 and 3. Even with @ Ryan amazing 4 of July sale, only 2 donations were made. 

What do you think caused this downfall? Is it staff? Is it cheating? Or is it the community in general?

this server been slowly dying for years, then randomly has a few spikes but never enough to have a consistent player base at least not enough to have the need to open server 2, i dont rlly see it every being like it was a few years back

• Sad 1
  • Admin

The servers been kicking for almost 10 years man. The fact that it still pulls about 140 during the best days is still something. Yes, arma still has a player base, but arma players and arma life players are 2 different things. KOTH, other milsim servers etc make a pretty big chunk in those total player numbers for the game as a whole. If Asylum was still pulling their pop from 2018 then I’d agree, but it’s just Arma Life servers not being as in demand anymore. That could all reset with Arma 4, but I’d mostly appreciate how well it’s still holding up all these years later. 

All that being said, I’m not saying this server is perfect and couldn’t do things to improve and maybe help with player retention. But there’s no black and white answer for fixing pop on a 10 year old game. 

• Like 9
  • +1 1
14 minutes ago, Dante said:

All that being said, I’m not saying this server is perfect and couldn’t do things to improve and maybe help with player retention. But there’s no black and white answer for fixing pop on a 10 year old game. 

Thank for the great answer! I have to argue that asylum pulls better population numbers almost every day. currently looking at A3L asylum is at 100 pop and oly is only 45. Asylum has had 750+ new and unique players and olympus has only had 150 new or unique players. Never have I seen asylum out preform oly until recently. 

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Admin
14 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Thank for the great answer! I have to argue that asylum pulls better population numbers almost every day. currently looking at A3L asylum is at 100 pop and oly is only 45. Asylum has had 750+ new and unique players and olympus has only had 150 new or unique players. Never have I seen asylum out preform oly until recently. 

Yeah I wasn’t arguing that Olympus was pulling less or more than asylum, but just wanted to give another popular life server as an example. Asylum also used to pull 2.5 populated servers at times and that has dramatically dropped as well. As I said, could Olympus do things better? I’m sure. But there’s just no blanket answer to fix population. When I joined in 2016 if you told me it was still going to be what it is today I wouldn’t have believed it (I also would have laughed if someone told me I’d still be playing in 2023 too lol) 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Asylum did a mass unban, that's why there is so many on compared to Olympus. Then take into account that their staff is inactive and generally doesn't care.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

ngl this is likely due to their mass unban + they don't have China region banned like we do, there are entire gangs on that server that are purely Chinese players on top of allowing everyone with a global or previous scripting ban to play.

Also the new and unique player difference is mostly because our server was whitelisted stopping new players from connecting as easily because some cancer individuals were logging on to spam nuke the server.

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, monster said:

ngl this is likely due to their mass unban + they don't have China region banned like we do, there are entire gangs on that server that are purely Chinese players on top of allowing everyone with a global or previous scripting ban to play.

Also the new and unique player difference is mostly because our server was whitelisted stopping new players from connecting as easily because some cancer individuals were logging on to spam nuke the server.

totally makes sense, thanks!

I think you mean WHO not WHAT caused the servers demise. Even if the person is really doing good for the server when the large majority of the playerbase thinks poorly of them for one reason or another and you give that one person everyone dislikes all the power on the server its no suprise people start leaving. Either way olympus has been on a death spiral since 2020 so i cant wholely place the blame on them.

• Like 1
  • +1 2
34 minutes ago, fat female arma 3 player said:

I think you mean WHO not WHAT caused the servers demise. Even if the person is really doing good for the server when the large majority of the playerbase thinks poorly of them for one reason or another and you give that one person everyone dislikes all the power on the server its no suprise people start leaving. Either way olympus has been on a death spiral since 2020 so i cant wholely place the blame on them.

you are so sexy when you are spitting facts 

• Love 1
  • BlessUp 1

I just joined back after 3 years of not playing to see how things are going. My first 2 hours were spent in jail from when I was arrested 3 years ago. I spent 30 minutes collecting scrap, turned in the scrap, I was kicked for a script restriction, my timer was reset, and all my scrap was gone. 

I think people coming back after 3 years shouldn't be in prison

You also gotta take into consideration that the playerbase is probably older than it use to be. 8 years ago i could sit and play oly for fuckin 40 hours a weekend and not care. Now i have a full time job, fiancé, and a toddler. Lot less gaming time there lmao. Id assume alot of older players have similar situations.

• Like 1
  • BlessUp 1
3 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Just from looking at it the loss of new players in my opinion is from the requirement for whitelisting. This has killed server pop drastically I believe.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Skys said:

you are so sexy when you are spitting facts 

turn my nose brown

7 minutes ago, H Pabalate said:

Just from looking at it the loss of new players in my opinion is from the requirement for whitelisting. This has killed server pop drastically I believe.

The whitelist requirement does actually have good valid reasoning behind it. Servers been targeted by 1 skid whose been trying to drive pop away in hopes it will make his server he built off the oly mission file popular.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, fat female arma 3 player said:

turn my nose brown

The whitelist requirement does actually have good valid reasoning behind it. Servers been targeted by 1 skid whose been trying to drive pop away in hopes it will make his server he built off the oly mission file popular.

Yeah and I think that definitely helps with that but makes new players less likely to pick this altis life unless they are coming to join someone else. Think about if you were brand new and you try to join us and get instakicked. Most people won’t dig too deep they will just be like ehh okay let’s try the next one!

• Like 2
  • +1 2
On 7/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, Space Ranger said:

We have all been saying for a while this is a dying server, but is it past the point of no return? 

Arma isn’t a dead game, easily hitting 20,000 active player daily But Olympus is never full pop. With 20-25 thousand active players over the past couple years, Olympus has still had to close down server 2 and 3. Even with @ Ryan amazing 4 of July sale, only 2 donations were made. 

What do you think caused this downfall? Is it staff? Is it cheating? Or is it the community in general?

Ryan would have been better off just stating that the server needs more funding to stay alive... not this bullshit statement: "Typically we wait till the holidays to do something like this, but the summer for Olympus got us excited for whats to come, so we figured... why not?"

On 7/8/2023 at 3:18 PM, fat female arma 3 player said:

factual

4 minutes ago, N9ne- said:

Ryan would have been better off just stating that the server needs more funding to stay alive... not this bullshit statement: "Typically we wait till the holidays to do something like this, but the summer for Olympus got us excited for whats to come, so we figured... why not?"

this and have you guys been on the forums on mobile lately? Getting a horrendous amount of ad's and they seem to have even added pop up ad's before you goto a thread. I use AB on my pc so ive never seen how it is on pc but i can tell you that the ad's were nowhere near as intrusive 2 months ago as they are currently. Really fishing for every last penny to keep this shithole afloat without fixing any of the actual core issues at hand with the server.

• Love 1

This is an issue with both servers. They both have seesawed back and forth over the past few years player count wise. It's nothing new and it's super random. There was a point Asylum only had 30 players max and now they're back at 135 daily..

There's really no answer for this other then Arma 3 is a 10yr old game and people switch up servers between Altis Life, KoTH, Wasteland, etc. It's natural. Sure patch notes matter and other small shit contributes but BARELY. The staff give you BS answers because there's really no direct answer.

Asylum and Oly will never go back to the point where we had 4+ servers running against each other at max pop unless Arma 4 happens 😞

• Like 3
3 hours ago, skimancole said:

This is an issue with both servers. They both have seesawed back and forth over the past few years player count wise. It's nothing new and it's super random. There was a point Asylum only had 30 players max and now they're back at 135 daily..

There's really no answer for this other then Arma 3 is a 10yr old game and people switch up servers between Altis Life, KoTH, Wasteland, etc. It's natural. Sure patch notes matter and other small shit contributes but BARELY. The staff give you BS answers because there's really no direct answer.

Asylum and Oly will never go back to the point where we had 4+ servers running against each other at max pop unless Arma 4 happens 😞

I just disagree the whitelist I think has added enough of a hinderance for new players that it has seriously hurt pop.