I apparently have an out of date video card

So... this is my no holds barred part list..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jhqKFT

PU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($181.49 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($264.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($96.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($80.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 148.7 CFM 200mm  Fan  ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
External Storage: Seagate Expansion 4TB External Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2449.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-16 16:28 EDT-0400

But... this fits in to what I have without any known problems
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836&nm_mc=OTC-Iceleads&cm_mmc=OTC-Iceleads-_-MSI-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-14127836

5 minutes ago, Poisson said:

Personally I think the CPU might be a bit overkill, but it all depends on what you do... do you steam, render videos/3d or things like that? Do you have multiple monitors? all things to take into account

I do stream
42 inch tv as a monitor
and I'm not married to i7, i just went with the highest user rating
I have an i5 and it works for me..

all these are just the high water mark and I work down from there

8 hours ago, CheckUrFoodNWater said:

So... this is my no holds barred part list..

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jhqKFT

PU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($181.49 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($264.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($96.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($214.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($80.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 148.7 CFM 200mm  Fan  ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
External Storage: Seagate Expansion 4TB External Hard Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2449.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-16 16:28 EDT-0400

But... this fits in to what I have without any known problems
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127836&nm_mc=OTC-Iceleads&cm_mmc=OTC-Iceleads-_-MSI-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-14127836

Ooookay quick explanation about CPUs.

The more cores you have doesn't necessarily translate directly into raw power. ArmA 3 isn't going to use all your cores, it doesn't even use all four of a quad-core to 100%. Most if not all games use the first 2 cores more than anything else. This being the case and considering your no holds barred budget, I'll just link you my recent build which is cheaper, and much more optimized.

ALWAYS spend more on your GPU over your CPU. Always compromise on the CPU before the GPU if you're looking for performance. The GPU does most of the legwork. A lot of people also think overclocking the CPU high is great, but in reality its probably more expensive for less gain compared to if you spent the extra hundred dollars on the next best GPU. 

Some of my picks are preference, like the SSD and no HDD. But you can edit it as you see fit obviously. ArmA runs smooth as butter with this setup in addition to @Lethal's setting per his FPS guide in the tutorials section on the forums.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kYLWMp

1 hour ago, McDili said:

Ooookay quick explanation about CPUs.

The more cores you have doesn't necessarily translate directly into raw power. ArmA 3 isn't going to use all your cores, it doesn't even use all four of a quad-core to 100%. Most if not all games use the first 2 cores more than anything else. This being the case and considering your no holds barred budget, I'll just link you my recent build which is cheaper, and much more optimized.

ALWAYS spend more on your GPU over your CPU. Always compromise on the CPU before the GPU if you're looking for performance. The GPU does most of the legwork. A lot of people also think overclocking the CPU high is great, but in reality its probably more expensive for less gain compared to if you spent the extra hundred dollars on the next best GPU. 

Some of my picks are preference, like the SSD and no HDD. But you can edit it as you see fit obviously. ArmA runs smooth as butter with this setup in addition to @Lethal's setting per his FPS guide in the tutorials section on the forums.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kYLWMp

arma performance is based on Single Core performance of your CPU

If you're buying a card you want to make sure you don't spend a crap ton but you also want to make sure that the card won't be outdated. I bought a GTX 970 a couple weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Before you buy a nice video card make sure you have a decent power supply that can run the desired card you want.

• Like 1