Some form of government in Olympus

Now, before I say anything, I just want to point out the fact that it's a very broad idea, and it could mean a lot of different things. I don't have specifics all figured out in my head, it's merely a big idea I had that I thought would be cool to have implemented in the server. 

Anyway, I was wondering what it would be like to have players able to run for different positions in government for Olympus. I've seen other servers do it and I've seen a wide range of different features that it adds to the server. It could add a lot of interesting rp into the game, and also make a lot of funny moments. Hoping maybe for suggestions, or reasons why this can't be a thing (If it can't.) 

42 minutes ago, DeadPool1337 said:

we already have a from of government its the apd its the law and its the first line of crime fighters

The APD is enforcement of the law, it isn't a form of government. Police is just part of the Executive branch of government, it isn't in anyway a government, it's a tool of the government to enforce laws and acts that are put into place by the said government.

Just now, Armend(Pete Malloy) said:

The APD is enforcement of the law, it isn't a form of government. Police is just part of the Executive branch of government, it isn't in anyway a government, it's a tool of the government to enforce laws and acts that are put into place by the said government.

altis isnt america 

Just now, DeadPool1337 said:

altis isnt america 

In no country currently in existence does a police force also known as LAW ENFORCEMENT pass as a government. Altis is an island in Greece, which uses democracy as it's form of government. In the case of Olympus the APD serves 3 purposes, Crime Prevention, Enforcing the "PRE-LISTED" laws, and to send people who break the laws to jail. This doesn't meet the criteria for a form of government. There is no "governing" only "enforcement" of pre-established laws and governance. 

A form of government would be great for Olympus. The admins would have a load of work off of their hands and they could work on much needed map design and features. The government would be able to solve a whole lot of disputes.

The government could be its own faction, hopefully replacing R&R or just as the 4th faction.

• We could start actually filling up the Federal Reserve with real money from taxes.
  • All the scats of Kavala could get on Welfare and spend all their time in Kavala.
  • You could get people to monitor real estate and make inactive players pay a property tax.
  • We could set up a court and take things from police brutality and false imprisonment to civil disputes between players to court.
  • Lawyers could be an actual profession and could be called upon during arrest to dispute charges and after imprisonment to file a suit against the APD.
  • We could allow players to own businesses if they file the right paperwork and it gets approved.
  • People could apply and take tests to become lawyers.
  • A panel of trusted and learned Judges could be appointed to courts. Civilians could create a case against a Judge if they get corrupt or bias.
  • There could be different courts for different types of cases, judges could be specialized into these courts.
  • Courts would not effect someone being sent to jail by police, a person would need to get a lawyer and file paperwork to start a case for false imprisonment.
  • The courts could decide what happens to an officer if he abuses his power. ie suspension and $1 million compensation to the victim. 

If we wanted to get even deeper into it we could open Legislative and Executive branches of government. I think that Judicial and some other small departments would be plenty for Olympus at least for now.

But, this can only work if the people put in charge are competent, unbiased, and un-corrupted. Obviously a couple of bad apples will make it through but any type of incompetence, bias, or corruption that can be proven without a reasonable doubt should result in a swift black-listing from any government position except being a Lawyer. Abuse of powers should never happen, even if its the head admin or if its a joke. Courts should also be serious and people mocking the system or not taking it seriously should also be removed. A list of criteria should be met to give certain sentences to avoid bias.

Personally, I would stop playing as rebel on civ or as a cop and turn into a Lawyer full time. I'd make some good money off of it too.

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Why dont we add a government to settle the dispute on added features to the server? That way the community gets exactly what it wants?

That would be apart of the legislative branch. All dedicated players could vote to add or remove some rules but not the Primary ones.

Just now, Jpeg said:

That would be apart of the legislative branch. All dedicated players could vote to add or remove some rules but not the Primary ones.

Or we make a gov like Britain have 1 admin or Poseidon be the prime minister and Parliament will be decided by a mix match of leaders from every (established gang) and respected members of the community

• Like 1
Just now, Truth said:

Why dont we add a government to settle the dispute on added features to the server? That way the community gets exactly what it wants?

You could just start a vote and say yes or no to new features. I don't think the dev team has the resources to add ideas that people have for the server but at least we would able to veto dumb ass map changes and maybe vote to kick some untalented and unneeded people from the dev team.

All we would need is a client that makes sure you can only vote once and that you actually play on Olympus. And Poseidon to actually carry out the verdict. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Armend(Pete Malloy) said:

A form of government would be great for Olympus. The admins would have a load of work off of their hands and they could work on much needed map design and features. The government would be able to solve a whole lot of disputes.

The government could be its own faction, hopefully replacing R&R or just as the 4th faction.

• We could start actually filling up the Federal Reserve with real money from taxes.
  • All the scats of Kavala could get on Welfare and spend all their time in Kavala.
  • You could get people to monitor real estate and make inactive players pay a property tax.
  • We could set up a court and take things from police brutality and false imprisonment to civil disputes between players to court.
  • Lawyers could be an actual profession and could be called upon during arrest to dispute charges and after imprisonment to file a suit against the APD.
  • We could allow players to own businesses if they file the right paperwork and it gets approved.
  • People could apply and take tests to become lawyers.
  • A panel of trusted and learned Judges could be appointed to courts. Civilians could create a case against a Judge if they get corrupt or bias.
  • There could be different courts for different types of cases, judges could be specialized into these courts.
  • Courts would not effect someone being sent to jail by police, a person would need to get a lawyer and file paperwork to start a case for false imprisonment.
  • The courts could decide what happens to an officer if he abuses his power. ie suspension and $1 million compensation to the victim. 

If we wanted to get even deeper into it we could open Legislative and Executive branches of government. I think that Judicial and some other small departments would be plenty for Olympus at least for now.

But, this can only work if the people put in charge are competent, unbiased, and un-corrupted. Obviously a couple of bad apples will make it through but any type of incompetence, bias, or corruption that can be proven without a reasonable doubt should result in a swift black-listing from any government position except being a Lawyer. Abuse of powers should never happen, even if its the head admin or if its a joke. Courts should also be serious and people mocking the system or not taking it seriously should also be removed. A list of criteria should be met to give certain sentences to avoid bias.

Personally, I would stop playing as rebel on civ or as a cop and turn into a Lawyer full time. I'd make some good money off of it too.

You read that and go "Damn that would be cool as shit" but then you realize there's only one developer and theres only so much he can do :/

Just now, Phizx said:

You read that and go "Damn that would be cool as shit" but then you realize there's only one developer and theres only so much he can do :/

Yeah there would be a couple of things that need to be coded into the game but we would only need a courthouse and a lawyer shop and skins for judges to get the show on the road. The rest could be added later.

4 minutes ago, Armend(Pete Malloy) said:

Yeah there would be a couple of things that need to be coded into the game but we would only need a courthouse and a lawyer shop and skins for judges to get the show on the road. The rest could be added later.

Yeah but its not up to us only Pos.

11 hours ago, Armend(Pete Malloy) said:

All the scats of Kavala could get on Welfare and spend all their time in Kavala.

This is why I love you

Can you add Marriages to the list? Myself and @Jeff Chaplin hold weddings and court sessions in Kavala Church weekly

Edited by Bow
  • Like 1
On 9/15/2016 at 9:35 PM, Armend(Pete Malloy) said:

We could allow players to own businesses if they file the right paperwork and it gets approved.

That was one of the things I really wanted to happen from the beginning, even if this whole government thing didn't go through. The idea of being able to own the stores in Kavela (Or at least shares) Seemed so cool to me. Being able to get a percentage of the profit made from the gun store would make someone a shit ton of money. I've never seen another server really implement that level of detail when it comes to money, but I've always wanted it to happen.

This was one of the main reasons I saw the trailer for the new Identity game coming out from Asylum and it got me pumped as fuck. Replacing NPC dealers with real people and having a much more realistic economy in the game seemed amazing in my head, and I still can't wait to see how they pull that off.

On 9/15/2016 at 9:59 PM, Phizx said:

Is he seriously the only one that contributes to development of new features? I'd assume a good majority of the admin team would be able to help in some way when it comes to that. Honestly I don't get how some of the admins even became admins, some of them don't contribute but just go around scatting in Kavela and sometime's abusing their powers, or at least that's all I see. Is there any way I can actually go directly to the admins and give them this idea, like in the support menu or something? I'd like to see what the admins think of this, especially after Pete really pretty much took the words right out of my mouth in terms of specifics.