Giveaway Update + New Price Match & Free Oly+ ×

Building a computer

MY SPECS:  Lenovo Laptop

alright i have had enought of arma 3 lag and fps drops and im looking for something thats better than what i have that can run on high settings as i run on low and its still bad, im going to build my first pc and am looking for suggestions so please post below

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Processor(s)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer 

Memory:  Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB

lright so this is what i have now, and i get around

im not that good when it comes to computers internally tell me if i missed something 

Edited by Rogue
9 minutes ago, McDili said:

Do you HAVE to have a laptop? Because 9/10 times you spend way more on a laptop than you would on an equivalent desktop PC. It's always cheaper to build a desktop and you'll get more power from it. Always.

Not only that but desktops typically last longer

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, McDili said:

Do you HAVE to have a laptop? Because 9/10 times you spend way more on a laptop than you would on an equivalent desktop PC. It's always cheaper to build a desktop and you'll get more power from it. Always.

True.

good gaming laptops can cost $1000+ pc's can cost same(ish) prices, and you get a fuckton more out of them. Laptops don't last as long. Can't upgrade them (if so, not as easily). Etc.

But yeah, don't get a laptop, get a cheaper pic, you can get more out of it, and if you ever want, you can upgrade it.

If you want a decent gaming computer that is a complete budget buy get a alien ware alpha. The computer is a all in one but the new models can run arma with no problem just don't expect to do any upgrading any time soon. Or if you want to be get a pre-built PC that is decent for the price and you can run stuff insanely well http://www.digitalstorm.com/vanquish-5.asp

as of now i have a shitty laptop lenovo and yes i realize it doesnt last as long as its on the 2nd year soon and its already bad, and it really fucks me up when fighting as it can give me huge lags. and yes this trash can cost 1,200$ i hoesntly dont know 1 cent on how to build a computer, its probably easier than it looks but if i do decide to build anyone got eny suggestions so i can run arma without lag 

54 minutes ago, Peter Long said:

What's your budget? 

i spent 1,200$ on this (laptop) so around that

oh i forgot to mention im in the us now so maybe i can swing buy and you can build it for me :4head::4head:

Edited by Rogue

GTX: 970, best cost effective graphics card In my opinion, although works much better for other games that aren't arma, as arma is mainly cpu(as you probably know). There are different brands that also tweak the GPU's and add their own touches like performance, cooling, size, etc so find the brand that has the specialties you desire. These brands include MSI, Gigbyte, Sapphire, etc. RESEARCH IS KEY TO BUILDING A MACHINE YOU WILL LOVE!!!!!

CPU: idk something i7, no need for the newest shit I mean I use a Intel i7 4770k that is like 3 years old with my 970 and I get 35-40 in cities and 60 everywhere else 

HDD/SSD: big one, buy a good size ssd, maybe 250 or 500gb to load your OS, and key programs and games, I have my HDDs on raid 0 just to get the max out of them with my other games I don't want to clog my ssd with. SSD WILL INCREASE EVERYTHING SO IT IS A MAIN PART ALONG WITH THE CPU; increases anything from boot times, load times, less texture bugs, more frames, etc. Anyways brand of HDD doesn't really matter a TB can go for like $50 and the SSD is the real one to pick out. SSD prices range significantly in storage space so anything larger than 500gb with be $250+ which is a lot to spend on a SSD but if you have the extra money and want to put everything on it go ahead. Also I recommend researching raid as you can pickup a couple TB hard drives and set them on a desired raid and it will pretty much act as a collection of HDD's put together to make one big ass SSD, depending on what type of raid you have.

Power Supply: Use pcpartpicker to make sure you have sufficient power supply

Monitor: 1080p and 60Hz monitor atleast, would not recommend in the slightest any lower or it completely undermines everything you've bought above

Motherboard: personal preference, research motherboards and motherboard companies and find the right balance for you, upgradable vs cost vs features really. Personally I use MSI because I really like their features, bios, overclocking, and support. 

Keyboard and mouse: personal preference as you really should pick out what you'll be resting your limbs on for hours on end lol

I have a shitty i5-4690k, GTX 760 2GB, 8GB RAM and a Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD and a shitty half broke HDD and everyone said I should get 60 frames max and I optimized everything I could and spent a shit ton of time optimizing more and more shit and now I get 100 frames at a cartel while recording. So im a successful human being and I get better frames than alot of people with better pc's and along the way I learned a lot.

• Like 1
On 12/13/2016 at 10:55 PM, Rogue said:

well i got one suggestion https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nRzZXH from @Stelar 

does anyone else this is a good setup

if you can make ur own list with good parts

This is fine but I'd say instead of the WD Blue go for a WD black 2 TB because 1 TB in a hard drive isn't very much. You will run out of space within a year (Or at least that's my experience but I have my entire life on there soo  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . This would be a good entry level PC and you will get notably better performance than you would with a laptop. While we are at it I might as well give the specs for my PC https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L9cmNN the reason the total price is that low is that GFX card is no longer sold therefor has no price(When it was out it was $499) My Benq is also no longer sold and was ~$350. If you wanted this setup you could replace the 980 with an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW or 1070 FTW. As with the monitor, if you aren't a big Counter-Strike player get something other than that Benq. But otherwise the almost exact same thing is now under the name XL2411 Zowie.

Edit: Don't buy these parts from the sites on PCPartPicker. Buy them on Newegg (I luh me sum newegg)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)

Gaming Chassis: CYBERPOWERPC X-Titan 200 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Fan Control, EZ Swap HDD Dock, Side Panel Window (Black Color)

Extra Case Fans: 3X 120mm Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case (Blue Color)

Noise Reduction Technology: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: ENERMAX ETS-T40F-BK CPU Cooler w/ Black ENERMAX Twister PWM fans

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: None

Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX w/ USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 3 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2

RAM / System Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: GeForce® GTX 1070 Founder's Edition 8GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

Sli Bridge: None

EVGA Power: None

Power Supply: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

M.2 SSD: 256GB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)

INTERNAL PCI-E SSD CARD: None

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

External Storage: ADATA S102 Superior Series Pro 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Titanium Gray)

Optical Drive: None

Optical Drive 2: None

External Optical Drive: None

Internal Wireless Network Card: None

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Internal Network Card: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Mouse: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse

Flash Media Reader/Writer: None

USB Hub & Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

well my laptops video card has gone bad and i am now going to get a new computer so tell me if this is a good setup

Edited by Rogue
tell me if this is good