Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Computer freezing and not responding

So, just today my computer all of the sudden froze and didn't fix after a few seconds, which it's never done. Restarted the computer thinking not much of it. After about 5 minutes it froze again after opening a few different applications. Figuring my computer was too warm since I had left it on the night before and the heat in our house we turned up, I let it sit for a while to hopefully cool down. Didn't work. So I opened up my case and blew out all the dust in my computer. That worked for a little while but it still froze after about an hour. I checked and everything was wired properly and secured. Tried turning on my computer to try and troubleshoot some problems and see if everything was running properly, but now my computer can't even stay on for 1 minute without freezing and I can't fix any software on it. I'm pretty sure nothing should be wrong with the hardware as the parts and computer aren't even a year old. 

Anybody have any ideas on anything I can try to do to fix this. Never had any problems with my computer until now.

if his fans are working and its freezing in a minute, its not overheating... plus usually when it overheats it will literately shut off not freeze as a safeguard to keep the CPU from frying.... But try running it with the case open if you think its heat...shouldnt have to put it outside...

Possible issues:

- There is corrupt/bad USB device (drive or peripheral) plugged in
- PSU is dying so any power draw above idling freezes comp
- You may have some nasty ass malware
- Thermal paste on CPU is whack/bad
- Primary HD is corrupt or dying (drive which system partition is installed)
- CPU is going - less likely usually results in BSoD
- Mobo is going - less likely usually results in BSoD
- RAM is going - less liekly usually results in BSoD

I'd say this list is from most probably issue to least probable. Even if comp is only a year old, over heating can burn out parts only a week old.

I know this doesn't help that much, but who knows may give you an idea of what your issue is.

• Like 1

Yeah like Maverick said to me I feel like it would be the HDD.

If you would be able to manage getting to task manager and monitoring your resources to see what spikes when this happens it may help you determine where the issue is.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

For real though. Like Maverick said... CPU fans. I had a CPU fan that took a pewp one day... caused my pc to shut down within mins. Its self-preservation was real...

And for that reason, my case consist of 6 fans :3

9 hours ago, MAVE2ICK said:

if his fans are working and its freezing in a minute, its not overheating... plus usually when it overheats it will literately shut off not freeze as a safeguard to keep the CPU from frying.... But try running it with the case open if you think its heat...shouldnt have to put it outside...

Possible issues:

- There is corrupt/bad USB device (drive or peripheral) plugged in
- PSU is dying so any power draw above idling freezes comp
- You may have some nasty ass malware
- Thermal paste on CPU is whack/bad
- Primary HD is corrupt or dying (drive which system partition is installed)
- CPU is going - less likely usually results in BSoD
- Mobo is going - less likely usually results in BSoD
- RAM is going - less liekly usually results in BSoD

I'd say this list is from most probably issue to least probable. Even if comp is only a year old, over heating can burn out parts only a week old.

I know this doesn't help that much, but who knows may give you an idea of what your issue is.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try these when I have the time. I appreciate the help.