Future of Development

6 hours ago, sploding said:

We still have @Blizzix and @DashTonic and the newest addition to the team @Phunky does this as his day job with years of experience in game development. We're in very good hands.

6 hours ago, tacosmell said:

Just going to put this out there. Blizzix and Phunky do web/discord. Not in game. 

5 hours ago, MAV said:

Not 100% accurate

I just wanted to clarify to some extent. We currently have four developers - Rex, Dash, Phunky, and myself. Many people are aware that there are multiple sides of development depending on the specific skill of said developer. While Rex primarily handles the Arma side of things with the help of Dash - they are considered Arma developers (who work with SQF). It is pretty obvious what they do as it is what everyone interacts with every time they log into the Arma servers. That being said, a lot of people are unclear what Phunky and myself do as the key phrase they hear is "web development". Now, while to an extent this is true - we do "web development", it may not be exactly what you expect.

The things we develop are commonly not seen or used by the public or are not yet ready to be released to the public. Additionally, we don't work on the forums as that is something that was developed by a company and is a commercial product. Things that we actually work on usually involve tools that staff or the factions can use to improve their operations. One example was an application @Phunky made which allowed staff to handle tickets more effectively by saving them time using more modern methods. Or things that add to the quality of life to everyone as a whole such as the discord bot that I made which displays statistics from in-game to our discord server. There are a handful of proof of concepts that have also been made that may arise in the future.

Currently, my closing remark is even though most of the stuff Phunky and I work on is not made very public it still benefits the community greatly even if its not realized. Also, our tasks are not limited to web or discord development as taco mentioned, that is just the easiest way to explain what we do without having something to actually show you. Keep in mind that our knowledge is not limited to just web or just discord development, just not sqf for multiple reasons. In conclusion, we do a lot more than on the surface and hopefully over the coming months everyone will come to realize that, it is just hard to notice something without seeing it.

After typing this, I realize there should be more definition provided to the community on how the development team actually operates and that is a conversation that will be addressed at a later date. Once things start to settle down, there will be more clarification but we just need to get our ducks in a row first. Things take time. I would also like to add the fact that somethings Phunky and I work on are long-term projects that take weeks if not a few months at a time to be completed (most of the time this is the case where we have multiple of these projects on the backlog) so just be patient.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Blizzix said:

I just wanted to clarify to some extent. We currently have four developers - Rex, Dash, Phunky, and myself. Many people are aware that there are multiple sides of development depending on the specific skill of said developer. While Rex primarily handles the Arma side of things with the help of Dash - they are considered Arma developers (who work with SQF). It is pretty obvious what they do as it is what everyone interacts with every time they log into the Arma servers. That being said, a lot of people are unclear what Phunky and myself do as the key phrase they hear is "web development". Now, while to an extent this is true - we do "web development", it may not be exactly what you expect.

The things we develop are commonly not seen or used by the public or are not yet ready to be released to the public. Additionally, we don't work on the forums as that is something that was developed by a company and is a commercial product. Things that we actually work on usually involve tools that staff or the factions can use to improve their operations. One example was an application @Phunky made which allowed staff to handle tickets more effectively by saving them time using more modern methods. Or things that add to the quality of life to everyone as a whole such as the discord bot that I made which displays statistics from in-game to our discord server. There are a handful of proof of concepts that have also been made that may arise in the future.

Currently, my closing remark is even though most of the stuff Phunky and I work on is not made very public it still benefits the community greatly even if its not realized. Also, our tasks are not limited to web or discord development as taco mentioned, that is just the easiest way to explain what we do without having something to actually show you. Keep in mind that our knowledge is not limited to just web or just discord development, just not sqf for multiple reasons. In conclusion, we do a lot more than on the surface and hopefully over the coming months everyone will come to realize that, it is just hard to notice something without seeing it.

After typing this, I realize there should be more definition provided to the community on how the development team actually operates and that is a conversation that will be addressed at a later date. Once things start to settle down, there will be more clarification but we just need to get our ducks in a row first. Things take time. I would also like to add the fact that somethings Phunky and I work on are long-term projects that take weeks if not a few months at a time to be completed (most of the time this is the case where we have multiple of these projects on the backlog) so just be patient.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Facts. I and community are blessed to have you and @Phunky to do things that may not be arma related. Nobody is taking that away from you. What the community is saying is, there is 2 devs that are on the development team for SQF or in-game deving. It is evident that rex's workload is a lot, I and others have been in numerous channels or even seen on forums where the problem with updates were "there is so much on the dev teams table". Wouldn't it make sense to add to that dev team that is primarily focused on SQF rather than put the 2 devs through hell. I mean i am going to reference @ikiled here and say that this is just a game and should not interfere with IRL things but this "workload" is either going to heavily effect IRL things for devs or postpone what needs to be done. So it would make a lot of sense to add members of the community who are very proficient in the language and SQF environment to the team to contribute to this workload that is overloading this trello that I hear about. 

This is in no way shape or form a dis at anyone, but there are several people in this community that are very capable of contributing to the development team and are just not given chances for very odd reasons. It doesn't make much since to deny someone from dev then turn around ask them to help you with SQF. 

I am sure most of you may know that Asylum was given a full re-work of its mission file and it is very clear that this mission file will give Olympus a run for its money. I think it is a perfect time to get as much help as you can in SQF and any other areas of the playing field to combat the competition that is yet to come. 

Hopefully this clears up some of the communities concerns with relations to the development position. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tacosmell said:

Facts. I and community are blessed to have you and @Phunky to do things that may not be arma related. Nobody is taking that away from you. What the community is saying is, there is 2 devs that are on the development team for SQF or in-game deving. It is evident that rex's workload is a lot, I and others have been in numerous channels or even seen on forums where the problem with updates were "there is so much on the dev teams table". Wouldn't it make sense to add to that dev team that is primarily focused on SQF rather than put the 2 devs through hell. I mean i am going to reference @ikiled here and say that this is just a game and should not interfere with IRL things but this "workload" is either going to heavily effect IRL things for devs or postpone what needs to be done. So it would make a lot of sense to add members of the community who are very proficient in the language and SQF environment to the team to contribute to this workload that is overloading this trello that I hear about. 

This is in no way shape or form a dis at anyone, but there are several people in this community that are very capable of contributing to the development team and are just not given chances for very odd reasons. It doesn't make much since to deny someone from dev then turn around ask them to help you with SQF. 

I am sure most of you may know that Asylum was given a full re-work of its mission file and it is very clear that this mission file will give Olympus a run for its money. I think it is a perfect time to get as much help as you can in SQF and any other areas of the playing field to combat the competition that is yet to come. 

Hopefully this clears up some of the communities concerns with relations to the development position. 

I agree with some of the points in this post. The Arma servers do need more development attention and I think adding people who are fluent in SQF and who are competent programmers who work well in a team environment would be a very great idea. It is my personal opinion that people who fill that role are very difficult to find. There are so many factors that play into why I say that in which I am not going to name all here but would be willing to have a conversation about it if you so choose. Now - personally, I am not the one looking through applicants or making decisions, and I do not know about these "very odd reasons" in which people are not given a chance. But I do know from my real life experiences that in development, a applicants technical skill is not the only thing that matters to the employer. I also know from a technical standpoint just because someone "knows" a language does not mean they know the extent of which it should be used.

I would like to re-state that what was said above is my personal opinion and I do not have great knowledge of the reasons previous developer applicants where denied, or everything that is searched for from said applicants. I do however know that @TheCmdrRex plans to address this topic and I look forward to how things proceed and I assume you do as well.

I hope my input is of some value to you, and like I said, my dm's are always open. :D

1 minute ago, Blizzix said:

I agree with some of the points in this post. The Arma servers do need more development attention and I think adding people who are fluent in SQF and who are competent programmers who work well in a team environment would be a very great idea. It is my personal opinion that people who fill that role are very difficult to find. There are so many factors that play into why I say that in which I am not going to name all here but would be willing to have a conversation about it if you so choose. Now - personally, I am not the one looking through applicants or making decisions, and I do not know about these "very odd reasons" in which people are not given a chance. But I do know from my real life experiences that in development, a applicants technical skill is not the only thing that matters to the employer. I also know from a technical standpoint just because someone "knows" a language does not mean they know the extent of which it should be used.

I would like to re-state that what was said above is my personal opinion and I do not have great knowledge of the reasons previous developer applicants where denied, or everything that is searched for from said applicants. I do however know that @TheCmdrRex plans to address this topic and I look forward to how things proceed and I assume you do as well.

I hope my input is of some value to you, and like I said, my dm's are always open. :D

+1 to this. There is just some again "very odd" things happening with not only me but others in relation to development. I could explain this all to you and it would make much much more sense, but I will not get into detail with this on forums that is for sure. 

But yes, everything you have said here makes total sense and i agree with.

• Like 1
On 6/6/2019 at 5:51 AM, tacosmell said:

Just going to put this out there. Blizzix and Phunky do web/discord. Not in game. 

My current day job title is 'Senior Backend Developer'. Though the majority of my work at this job (been there over 2 years) is web based dev, it is mostly internal tools that are used to organized, maintain, and manipulate data. I also write tons of system scripts that automate processes between our server which wouldnt be considered web dev. Before this job, I ran a large Garry's Mod Community as owner and lead developer for over 6 years. I used primarily Lua for gmod, with the occasional mix of a few other langs/tools. The 6 years of game dev taught me proper code design and practices for optimal speed, hardware usage, network usage, and hack/exploit prevention. These fundamentals are universal across all platforms, though executed in slightly different ways.

I have personal and/or professional experience with PHP, Javascript, CSS, Lua, python, C#, C++ for programming langs as well as extensive knowledge of MySQL, ElasticSearch, Redis as well as proper database architecture for them all.

Whereas I dont know, and also dont care to learn .sqf, I can assist in proper design of code, finding/debugging and providing methods on fixing exploits, as well as write custom .dll serverside files to give provide new functions and abilities to arma code that are otherwise impossible (.dll files allow arma code to use custom made functions that do OS related things)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Phunky said:

My current day job title is 'Senior Backend Developer'. Though the majority of my work at this job (been there over 2 years) is web based dev, it is mostly internal tools that are used to organized, maintain, and manipulate data. I also write tons of system scripts that automate processes between our server which wouldnt be considered web dev. Before this job, I ran a large Garry's Mod Community as owner and lead developer for over 6 years. I used primarily Lua for gmod, with the occasional mix of a few other langs/tools. The 6 years of game dev taught me proper code design and practices for optimal speed, hardware usage, network usage, and hack/exploit prevention. These fundamentals are universal across all platforms, though executed in slightly different ways.

I have personal and/or professional experience with PHP, Javascript, CSS, Lua, python, C#, C++ for programming langs as well as extensive knowledge of MySQL, ElasticSearch, Redis as well as proper database architecture for them all.

Whereas I dont know, and also dont care to learn .sqf, I can assist in proper design of code, finding/debugging and providing methods on fixing exploits, as well as write custom .dll serverside files to give provide new functions and abilities to arma code that are otherwise impossible (.dll files allow arma code to use custom made functions that do OS related things)

Seems dope. I nor nobody in this community are taking anything away from non arma devs lol They are just frustrated with update/implementation times in which i stated in one of my responses on this post. 

• 4 months later...