36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you invested

• Yes
    • NO
    • Too Young- no interest
    • Too Young- interested

• Admin

Whats everyone portfolios looking like. 
Any big tickers you guys have locked in?
Im holding DIS and META puts, OPEN, BZH, SPY, and APPLE calls 
I have a good amount of diamond hands in NVIDA, good chunk of c3.AI
Looking to diversify 

If you guys are new to investing I highly recommend it. 

Curious to see how many ETF holders here

• Like 1

Single stock investing can be fun but if you’re looking for long term wealth building you need to get into a mutual fund or something like that. Low and slow like a BBQ

I’ve got various single stocks but nothing wild, and I do a 10% contribution to 401k target date every check. It won’t set the world on fire (up around 12.5% this year), but it is “safe” and a secure way to ensure you’re not broke when you’re 70. 

if you’re 18-25, don’t think you’re too early to start. Start now, anything helps 

I’d like to branch out and use around another 5% of my income towards something else, I just am not well versed in a ton of other options and haven’t taken the time to learn more 

Option puts and calls have always interested me but they feel very gambley as a novice so I have never taken the dive on that

Last note If your job offers 401k always enroll and put in at least what they’re willing to match. My company for example does 4%, so it’s basically like I’m getting free money guaranteed that has the chance to also grow on average at around 12% annually. 

if you’re making between 60-100k+, you’ll probably want to use a Roth401k because there’s an extremely high probability that you’ll pay less in taxes in the long run that way

Last last note: don’t fucking touch that money once you’re putting it in. Treat it like it doesn’t even exist 

• Like 6
  • Senior Web Developer

Stay away from cannabis and vegan meat companies. I have yet to see a cannabis company steadily perform. Mega losses from cannabis and vegan meat (Beyond Meat) companies.

Tesla 🚀

• Like 2
  • Admin
57 minutes ago, Toretto said:

Stay away from cannabis and vegan meat companies. I have yet to see a cannabis company steadily perform. Mega losses from cannabis and vegan meat (Beyond Meat) companies.

Tesla 🚀

I will forever laugh at the clueless room temp IQ in celsius morons that invest in cannabis. Blinker city morons 

I dump money into stock in the company I work for.  No matter what it's guaranteed to survive because it's vital infastructure.  If we get a good contract, I get paid more.  If we get a shitty contract then the company makes bank and my stock portfolio climbs.  It's win/win.

Controversial take but I would not worry about investing until you have a year of expenses saved first. That means food, rent, mortgage, whatever you need to survive.

Your first property purchase will be about 3% MINIMUM for a down payment and 2.5% minimum for closing costs (unless the seller pays or family helps you out)

I would eye what your average home sale price is in your area and save that ONTOP of the year of expenses to have ready to purchase a home. There really is no benefit to keeping cash liquid but I have a lot of my money in Ally's high-yield savings which is at ~4% right now. It's not great but I am not looking at my trades everyday worried about them. I can instead make money AND keep my money decently away from inflation's harvest.

You would unironically be better off investing in a local business than a major company if you have less than $50,000.

Quick noted thought but you can put up to $10,000 in a Roth IRA to withdraw tax free towards a home purchase.

Edited by Skateezy
2 hours ago, Skateezy said:

Controversial take but I would not worry about investing until you have a year of expenses saved first. That means food, rent, mortgage, whatever you need to survive.

Your first property purchase will be about 3% MINIMUM for a down payment and 2.5% minimum for closing costs (unless the seller pays or family helps you out)

I would eye what your average home sale price is in your area and save that ONTOP of the year of expenses to have ready to purchase a home. There really is no benefit to keeping cash liquid but I have a lot of my money in Ally's high-yield savings which is at ~4% right now. It's not great but I am not looking at my trades everyday worried about them. I can instead make money AND keep my money decently away from inflation's harvest.

You would unironically be better off investing in a local business than a major company if you have less than $50,000.

Quick noted thought but you can put up to $10,000 in a Roth IRA to withdraw tax free towards a home purchase.

lol pussyy

I've got stocks in:

GPRO, OPK, CRON, OGI, F, AAL, OSUR, ACB, CNTTQ, TLRY, and SNDL.

Then for Crypto I have

DOGE, SHIB, CRO, ELON and COS.

I just need ELON to hit $0.01 and I walk away with 3.7 million dollars. It will probably never happen, but I think I've invested $400 total in Crypto and I'm in the green across the board. Cant say the same for the stocks.

• Developer II

Both @ Snake  and @ Noble  have really good advice.

I'm fairly young so it was not long ago when the entire topic of investing completely disinterested me. Around peek COVID while the whole Gamestop shenanigans was going on, I got into the stock market as I thought the entire concept of how they were able to pull it off was interesting. Needless to say, I opened up a brokerage account on Robinhood. Gambled $400 into $1100 via contracts then lost it all LMAO. I learned a lot though:

1. Do not make the dumbass decisions I did:
    1. Do not day trade.
    2. Do not purchase short term contracts.
    3. Do not purchase extremely leveraged positions.
    4. Not saying never do it. Just be realistic about it if you do.
    5. It's speculative at best, gambling at worst.
  2. Buy ETFs:
    1. I recommend ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds). The idea behind ETFs are that you are really buying into a collection of securities (stocks) or a general market sector. Instead of hedging a bet on one specific company, you're reducing your risk by betting it on an industry.
    2. The reason this matters is because a good company can still lose half of it's value if board members start making really poor decisions.
    3. Take Snapchat and Netflix for example. An ETF on the other hand will oftentimes have much better long term returns. Even if one company doesn't perform well in that sector, it's competitors will; and that's what ETF's are for.
    4. Although I would encourage those new to choose a market that they know or like, here are a few of my personal favorites: [$SPY, $QQQ, $DIA, $LIT].
  3. 401k is OP:
    1. As much as a 401k sounds boring as shit, it is probably single handedly the best investment choice that you can make. If an employer is offering you a 25-50% match on your contribution; to put that into perspective that is literally 25-50% ROI (Return on Investment) you are making risk free. I don't know of a single other investment tool that allows you to have that kind of rate of return at a guarentee.
    2. Best part is that depending on the 401k/Roth you are running, you also oftentimes get really great tax advantages too. Which although may not seem like a huge deal now, when you're looking to retire and withdrawl large amounts frequently to live off of, the percentage of it that is yoinked by the government makes a difference.

That's my take anyways 🙂

I do not provide personal investment advice and I am not a qualified licensed investment advisor. I am still the dumbass who posted this.

• Like 1
  • Admin
5 hours ago, milorules1012 said:

401k is OP:

1. As much as a 401k sounds boring as shit, it is probably single handedly the best investment choice that you can make. If an employer is offering you a 25-50% match on your contribution; to put that into perspective that is literally 25-50% ROI (Return on Investment) you are making risk free. I don't know of a single other investment tool that allows you to have that kind of rate of return at a guarentee.
  2. Best part is that depending on the 401k/Roth you are running, you also oftentimes get really great tax advantages too. Which although may not seem like a huge deal now, when you're looking to retire and withdrawl large amounts frequently to live off of, the percentage of it that is yoinked by the government makes a difference.

Absolutely. Only one thing about roth/401

If Your job does not match it and you dont pick really really horrible stocks, you will almost always out perform with normal stocks/ETFs.
Throwing money into QQQ(ETF) or a reputable company with a large upside will probably be better off. A roth/401 need high capital for it to grow stocks need good news!

Good to see another younger guy into it already
best of luck

as for an update. those puts are all gone lost a bit on them.
Thinking of buying up more cava, sold 28 shares at 39 😞
TMC looks like a company with an UNREAL upside and will need to jump in there too
BZH and OPEN calls still printing
HELE made me god money from their earnings call, held some shares since Friday sold for 17% upside 
Best of luck!

I do not provide personal investment advice and I am not a qualified licensed investment advisor. I am still the dumbass who posted this.

• Like 1
  • Developer II
2 hours ago, Noble said:

Absolutely. Only one thing about roth/401

If Your job does not match it and you dont pick really really horrible stocks, you will almost always out perform with normal stocks/ETFs.
Throwing money into QQQ(ETF) or a reputable company with a large upside will probably be better off. A roth/401 need high capital for it to grow stocks need good news!

Good to see another younger guy into it already
best of luck

as for an update. those puts are all gone lost a bit on them.
Thinking of buying up more cava, sold 28 shares at 39 😞
TMC looks like a company with an UNREAL upside and will need to jump in there too
BZH and OPEN calls still printing
HELE made me god money from their earnings call, held some shares since Friday sold for 17% upside 
Best of luck!

I hadn't heard of TMC but took a look at it and I can see why you like it! A lot of people talk smack on penny stocks but honestly as long as you are buying with regard to risk, there really is no downside to it since you are buying in at such a cheap price. I honestly do not know much about deep sea mining, but I do know that mining in general is a HUGE industry that a lot of people underestimate. Gold makes motherboards, copper makes conductors and wires, lithium and lanthium (whoo baby!) make batteries for phones, computers and electric cars. Really investing in mining is just investing in the future demand and higher quality of technology. I actually think I am going to drop some dime on them today.

Also what you said about the 401k is totally correct too. My previous company had a really good match but GOD the actual stock options were SHIT. Every single fund listed were ones that happened to have the brokers own stock inside of it. Every single one underperformed every single one of my general market ETFs that I would typically buy. Should be illegal honestly haha.

I definitely love a good call/put option so you'll definitely have to send me your positions sometime. They are sure fun when they print, and are sure not fun when they don't that's for sure 😂

Best of luck to you too!